PDA

View Full Version : Leo

dimelb
17th July 2005, 12:39 AM
It's time he had his own thread again. He is one of my favourite Swans - brave to the point of foolhardiness, runs well (mostly), leaps tall buildings at a single bound, exciting and always gives 110%.
But he's not a key position backman.
And we are losing his run out of defence.
If Melbourne missed Nicholson tonight, we sure missed Schauble.
Put Leo back on the flank.
And while we're at it, put Tadhg on the wing and leave him there.

adnar
17th July 2005, 02:47 AM
He got beaten by one of the premier players in the game it happens from time to time, but it's nothing to worry about. Considering he will beat a Lloyd, Fevola and Gehrig 8/10s is good enough for me. Sure it would be great to have him free to do whatever but I don't feel he's being restricted at the moment..

punter257
17th July 2005, 04:13 AM
leo playing on the big power forwards reminds me of james bond (roger moore) taking on jaws

poor bugger, does a great job considering his size

floppinab
17th July 2005, 10:00 AM
I'm starting to think he's going to need a break in the coming weeks. He's doing a tough job week in week out and I had a feeling tonight it's starting to show.

Surely with the Eagles Gorillas in frame we'll get Schaubs back next week.

liz
17th July 2005, 10:22 AM
Schauble wouldn't have stopped most of the goals - if any - that Neitz scored last night. I'm a fan of Schauble and would love it if he can be worked back into the forward line - though I must admit that the backline generally now has a sense of stability and calmness about it, even without him.

Leo probably did as well as anyone would. The main argument for moving him off the gorillas, in my view, is the physical impact it has on him. We are also terribly exposed to a Leo injury at the moment.

ROK Lobster
17th July 2005, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by liz
We are also terribly exposed to a Leo injury at the moment.
That would be season over. Every time he goes down my heart goes into my mouth. He and Hall are about the only two I don't think we could win without.

liz
17th July 2005, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
That would be season over. Every time he goes down my heart goes into my mouth. He and Hall are about the only two I don't think we could win without.

I reckon we could just about manufacture a forward line without Hall that would have a chance of winning a game if it got decent supply. Backline without Leo might be seasons end.

satchmopugdog
17th July 2005, 11:13 AM
I agree. You could almost see the words "What else do I have to do to stop this?" appear above him in speech bubbles last night. He is enormously important and needs a confidence boost.

Sid
17th July 2005, 11:47 AM
Most important player in the team.

sharpie
17th July 2005, 01:31 PM
While he does struggle defensively against the bigger full forwards, Leo's extra mobility and speed becomes far more effective against the full-forwards than it would if he was playing against a half-forward flanker who is likely to be more mobile and speedy than the full-forward.

So while we probably lose slightly in the defensive aspect of his game, Leo's rebounding when he does get the ball in hand is far more damaging when playing on the full forward than when playing on a half-forward flanker.

ScottH
17th July 2005, 09:13 PM
There was one time in the last Qtr when he got thye ball and ran str8 up the ground only to be surrounded, by Dees, and he urned around and came back. The big problem I saw with that was the swans running with him were slightly ahead, and made no attempt to shepherd anyone, to help "clear" the path for him.

But Neitz had a good game last night, most marks he wasn't going to stop anyway. Unlucky not to get a couple of frees, and that throw in the 4th qtr, that resulted in a goal, looked like a handball to me.

barry
17th July 2005, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by liz
I reckon we could just about manufacture a forward line without Hall that would have a chance of winning a game if it got decent supply. Backline without Leo might be seasons end.

I dont agree. Leo out, means Schuable in. A pretty standard one for one replacement which although they dont play similar styles, both are full backs that would get a game in most sides.

Hall out would mean we would loose our focal point, pushing us wide to the flanks, and back to worse than the early part of the year.
Schauble could replace Hall, but he wouldnt be anywhere near as good. Goodes could replace hall, but we'd loose a lot from what he does now.
All our eggs are in the Hall basket.

TheHood
17th July 2005, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by liz

Not sure why, but I was contemplating this possible (hopefully never) dilema a few hours ago and I too thought we'd be ok without Baz.

Rotating Mick and Goodesy sure is a helpful scenario, ROK, Dicky, Mal and poss Schneides and we're Ok.

Though I do love life WITH Baz.

Justice
17th July 2005, 10:58 PM
Given his size, Leo has done a really good job over the past few years when called upon to act as the primary defender on the opposition KPP including some outstanding efforts (eg Gehrig - round 11, 2004).

What is really hurting him this year is the "punching the arm" free-kick interpretation by the umpires this year. In past years he would get away with the spoiling effort from behind that also caught the leading forwards arm.

Not this year, he has had 21 frees awarded against him, with the majority (I suspect) resulting in shots on goal for the opposition.

I agree with a number of others on this sight who suggest that Schauble should return to the side as full-back thus freeing Leo up as an attacking, running defender.

Cheers

Justice

liz
18th July 2005, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by TheHood
Not sure why, but I was contemplating this possible (hopefully never) dilema a few hours ago and I too thought we'd be ok without Baz.

Rotating Mick and Goodesy sure is a helpful scenario, ROK, Dicky, Mal and poss Schneides and we're Ok.

Though I do love life WITH Baz.

One factor that makes me think it is doable is the fact that we have two fit ruckmen, so one of them could play as a tall option in the goal square, and the smaller men could be structured around him. And it wouldn't take that much away from the ruck either, because Goodes is capable of taking his turn there.

And while I'm not suggesting he could replace Baz, Vogels is another who could come in to provide a tall, marking option.

That said, I hope it remains as pure speculation!

Ruck'n'Roll
18th July 2005, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by ScottH
The big problem I saw with that was the swans running with him were slightly ahead, and made no attempt to shepherd anyone, to help "clear" the path for him.
Whike I agree at the deplorable lack of shepherding by most of this team, in this case I's suggest that shepherding for a bloke when no-one knows what he's going to do (including himself) is some sort of mitigation.

ScottH
18th July 2005, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Ruckman
Whike I agree at the deplorable lack of shepherding by most of this team, in this case I's suggest that shepherding for a bloke when no-one knows what he's going to do (including himself) is some sort of mitigation. :D Point taken!!!!

NMWBloods
18th July 2005, 10:49 AM
I think losing Hall would be the worst outcome for the team, followed by losing Barry (Leo not Hall!!;) ).

Against the big forwards, Barry more often than not struggles, which is hardly surprising if they simply use their size against him. Despite one fantastic game against Gehrig last year, he has been towelled up the last two times.

He doesn't seem to get enough help at times though. The mark Neitz talk on his chest in the middle of the pack was partly due to a very deplorable effort to assist by Kennelly when he just waved his fist aimlessly at the ball going past.

giant
18th July 2005, 11:05 AM
One of the newspapers carried a suggestion that BBBH was inujured going into Sat nite - so speculation of options was a worthwile task.

That said, I'll take an injured BBBH any day if he's still got 7 goals in him.

Agent 86
18th July 2005, 06:28 PM
Please don't talk about what if's in relation to injuries. Don't wanna put the mocker on ANYONE.

Snowy
18th July 2005, 07:40 PM
End of season without Hall. No doubt the most important player ; just ask the coaching staff. The worry with Leo is that he's becoming warn out. Don't think Schauble in the forward line would work. There's a world of difference between reserves and seniors and early in his career he was tried there and failed. Now he's slowed down somewhat it's hard to imagine him being successful. I think he's very much at the crosswords.