• AFL Round 16 - West Coast v Sydney: Where Were You?

AFL Round 16 - West Coast v Sydney: Where Were You?

When the most credible of sources, 'Wikipedia' lists encounters between these two sides as an official rivalry, you know you're in for a serious afternoon of football. Fierce rivals over the past decade, the Swans and the Eagles have played out some high-stakes thrillers never failed to entertain. Whilst recent encounters have lacked the ferocity and tense finishes of previous battles, whenever these two modern-day giants meet, memories of past glories are evoked. Where were you when the Swannies won the flag for the first time in seventy-two years? I was in Dublin, cheer cheering from a mate's lounge room sipping on a can of Guinness at the ungodly hour of 5am. Great day! Where were you when the Eagles gained revenge the next year with a one-point Grand Final victory? I was in Dublin, again in a mate's lounge room, this time sipping Guinness cans through the night to sit up and watch the big game (slightly bleary eyed). Like all supporters of these two proud clubs, those memories will last forever.

So, apparently Kurt's hurt and Nic Nat...well out he sat. Perth is wet and the scene is set. The rivalry continues. The Great Goodesy will today break the record for the most games played by an indigenous man. A milestone that I feel hasn't quite received the accolades that it deserves. For a young man drafted by the Swans with pick no.43 in the 2007 draft, his career has been remarkable. As a proud indigenous man, breaking the record set by the Mercurial McLeod, playing game number 341, will surely go down as one of his greatest achievements. He celebrates by crumbing a pack, snapping around his body on the trusty right boot for the Swannies second goal.

Where were you when Big Bad Barry lost all control and broke Staker's jaw? I was sitting in the Southern Stand of ANZ Stadium. Like the rest of the crowd, wondering why Staker was laying down. A glance at the big screen and all questions were answered. You're in trouble here, Baz. Cometti and Zempilas are not a Mediterranean Shipping Firm, but the providers of today's commentary and the inclement weather is reaking havoc with the coverage. By the time the dulcet tones of Dennis return, Reidy has nailed the third for the Bloods and looked to be handling the conditions better. Eric and Lance look to be having an enthralling duel at full-forward as both teams miss gettable chances in the wet. That Priddis is a good player. His first quarter keeps The Enemy in touch. An eight-point lead at quarter time is not enhanced by the news that young Jonesy has been subbed out with the dreaded concussion.

As the slog continues, it is the younger brigade of the Swans who are impressing. Parker, Jetta, Bird, Rampe and Reid are leading the charge for the visitors as a series of opportunities are expertly created but then, expertly wasted. Teddy is safe as a bank, but the Eagles are showing some real grit, that has perhaps been lacking throughout the season. Where were you in 2008, when the Swannies came back from a 36-point half-time deficit to win at a pumping Subiaco by five points? I was discussing the rivalry with a couple of silver-haired well-lubricated lawn bowlers in a Moonee Ponds pub. "Those Swans never bloody give up". Eric and Lance continue to wrestle. Lance wins a free. The crowd boos. Lance kicks a goal. The deluge loiters, however this good ol' fashioned slog is providing an entertaining contest. As The Enemy goal in the dying stages of the half, the margin is reduced to thirteen.

A key combatant in this rivalry was Jude Bolton. As he sits on the sidelines in his new role in the football media, I pose a question. Have I ever seen a Swan play better in these conditions than Juuuuude? No. I have not. We could do with him today as The Enemy fight back with a vengeance in the third quarter. Two goals in a minute and the Bloods hold a shaky looking one-goal lead. The hard-working McGlynn goals and Basil roars...."The little man, with a big finish!" The final term begins with a sense that this match will be a return to those tight tussles of the past. Both sides have lifted the intensity of their efforts and the soggy Sherrin is proving problematic. Parker goals for the second time today and further enhances his standing as one of our 'main men'. Goodesy marks and goals and the Bloods skip out to a twenty-five point lead which looks to be a match-winning one in these conditions. This proves the case and with a terrific team effort, the Swans prevail. Luke Parker claims the best-on-ground honours in a dominant display. Where were you when the Swans beat the Eagles by a slightly flattering margin of 28 points in Round 16, 2014? I was at bloody work.

Sydney 10.19 (79)

West Coast 7.9 (51)

Best:

Sydney: Parker, Bird, Richards, Reid, Jetta, McGlynn, McVeigh.

West Coast: Priddis, MacKenzie, Shuey, Darling, Lycett.

Goals:

Sydney: Goodes 3, Parker 2, McGlynn 2, Rampe, Reid, Franklin.

West Coast: Kennedy 2, Priddis, Shuey, Darling, Cripps, Lycett.

Crowd:

25,076 at Patersons Stadium.

Umpires:

Farmer, Chamberlain, O'Gorman.

Votes:

3 - Luke Parker (Sydney)

2 - Sam Reid (Sydney)

1 - Matt Priddis (West Coast)
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Match Reviews started by joemoore12 View original post
  • #goswans Feed

• Latest RWO Threads

dejavoodoo44

Round 3: the other games.

Thread Starter: dejavoodoo44

I suspect there might be many people death riding Collingwood tonight. Just for the lols of seeing them going 0/4. Which is not quite season over, as

Last Post By: Kafka's Ghost Today, 06:55 PM Go to last post
    Maltopia

Alleged AFL hiding of positive drug tests

Thread Starter: Maltopia

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/afl-drugs-bombshell-mp-tells-federal-parliament-of-secret-illicit-drug-tests-allegedly-authorised-by-leagues-top-medico/news-story/e5999f6f4d289e358d3fa0c4533c1a38

Last Post By: Mel_C Yesterday, 07:36 PM Go to last post
    goswannies

Gather Round 2024

Thread Starter: goswannies

Aside from a rather expensive breakfast, are the Swans planning any other activities to engage with supporters during Gather Round in Adelaide this year?

Last Post By: 707 27th March 2024, 10:58 AM Go to last post
    Maltopia

Rnd 3 Pre-Match Thread, vs Richmond at MCG, 4 PM Sunday 31 March 2024

Thread Starter: Maltopia

Chance to go 4-0 up when we play the Tigers who beat us last time we played them in July 2023.

They were spanked by Port so may come out

Last Post By: 707 Today, 07:24 PM Go to last post
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO