B: Brent Guerra, Thomas Murphy, Paul Puopolo
    HB: Matt Suckling, Josh Gibson, Grant Birchall
    C: Shane Savage, Sam Mitchell, Chance Bateman
    HF: Brendan Whitecross, Luke Hodge, Liam Shiels
    F: Michael Osborne, Lance Franklin, Cyril Rioli
    Foll: Jarryd Roughead, Shaun Burgoyne, Brad Sewell
    I/C: Max Bailey, Jordan Lewis, Ryan Schoenmakers, Luke Breust

In: Max Bailey, Cyril Rioli, Ryan Schoenmakers
    Out: Stephen Gilham (Knee), David Hale (Knee), Isaac Smith (Soreness)

INDIGENOUS ROUND

One of the unique things about the AFL is the huge number of Indigenous players in the League as a percentage of the entire Australian population. It is therefore only fitting that the League honour and celebrate the contribution of Indigenous players with the annual Indigenous Round.

With the Swans and the Hawks having arguably two of the best Indigenous players in the current competition, this game will be a true exhibition of the raw talent of Indigenous footballers ? and it could well turn into the Goodes and Franklin show.

As part of the celebrations for Indigenous Round, the colours of the Indigenous flag will be painted in the centre circle and Indigenous players will represent their teams at the coin toss with Shaun Burgoyne the honorary Hawks captain for this match. (No such announcement from the Swans so assuming Goodes will meet Burgoyne in the centre circle for this match.)

FORM

The Swans played some of their best football for the year against Port Adelaide last week ? albeit only in the second half. Jude Bolton and Josh Kennedy have become a formidable centre combination and it was on show last week while Sam Reid has begun to settle at full forward and the goals are flowing.

The Hawks were also on the winners list last week but it was more due to the dismal performance of the Saints after the Hawks lost two players early. The Hawks showed heart to battle to the win but Hale and Gilham?s injuries may be telling this week. Roughead spent a large part of the game in the ruck and may have to play this role again this week, decreasing the Hawks? firepower up forward.

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Josh Kennedy & Ben McGlynn

The two ex-Hawks have been integral parts of the Swans team since arriving in the Harbour City and they will always be keen to put in a good performance against their old team. Kennedy has been outstanding in the centre, especially in the absence of Jack and it?s easy to forget he?s only 22. McGlynn was quiet last week after a strong start to the year but he will be hoping to pop up for a few goals with the Hawks defence stretched by Reid, Everitt and Goodes.

Lance Franklin & Cyril Rioli

Buddy is always going to be a threat however the Swans have managed to contain him in their last few games, especially on the SCG. That being said, he is one of those players who just has the ability to turn it on and a bag of goals from Buddy will go a long way to winning the game for the Hawks. Rioli is back after missing the last few games with a hamstring injury and the Hawks couldn?t be happier to have him back - he provides them with great run and flair through the centre.

THE COMEBACKS

Much has been made of Nick Malceski?s unbelievable return from LARS surgery only 11 weeks ago and the Bionic Man will make his return to senior football after tearing his anterior cruciate ligament in March. It?s an incredible story and there is no doubt Malceski is physically ready. Providing he is mentally ready, his inclusion is a huge in for the Swans.

The lesser known of the two comebacks in this game is the Hawks? Max Bailey ? the 206cm ruckman has endured three knee reconstructions and has only managed six matches in 5 1/2 years. He provides the Hawks with some much needed height and ruck power as he runs out in his first game since Round 22, 2009.

PREDICTION

A match between the 5th and 6th placed sides is always going to be close but with the way these two teams play, it?s highly unlikely that either team will run away with the game. The SCG has, in recent years, been a fortress for the Swans but some wet weather games earlier this year means that the Swans? only two losses have come at home.

The Hawks haven't beaten the Swans at the SCG since Round 19, 2003 and will be keen to break the hoodoo but they?ve been hit hard by injuries and Mumford in the ruck and Reid up forward can wreak havoc with their height. The Swans will need to put together four quarters of good football to beat the Hawks and keeping the likes of Hodge and Mitchell quiet will go a long way to winning the game ? Oh and they might want to stop Buddy too.

The phrase season-defining gets thrown around a lot but this match really could be that, for both teams. Personally, I can?t wait and after the last quarter of last week?s game ? I?m really hoping to see Luke Parker get a full run! This is going to be a tight, tough contest but there?s nowhere I?d rather be than watching this game on a sunny (hopefully!) Sunday afternoon at the SCG.

Swans by 4.
    Comments 5 Comments
      ShockOfHair -
      Nice preview, Alison.

I think a lot of us are hoping to see Luke Parker running around for four quarters tomorrow.

Hard one to call but our talls might just give us the edge around the clearances and in defence.
      Frog -
      Thanks Alison. I was hoping for an easy afternoon following the harrowing time we have been having watching our world end ... but since we are seeing this match, and by your prediction, we might just want to hang on to those oxygen bottles. Be still my attacking heart (how many more of those close calls can we handle?)
      dimelb -
      Good read Alison. Let's hope for a happy ending.
      ugg -
      Great preview, it's going to be a hard act to follow with my match report.

I'm particularly worried about Burgoyne I'm not sure we have an appropriate matchup for him. He's a great inside player but who possess all the pizzazz and speed of an outside player too.
      ScottH -
      Brave girl tipping the swans by 4.
      But I'll be happy with that.

Great stuff Alison!!
  • #goswans Feed

Single Sign On provided by vBSSO