Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Premier Iemma played for .........

Senior Player

Premier Iemma played for .........

SO,

I've picked up on another thread that our new Premier is a long time AFL fan (Collingwood unfortunately, can we forgive him for that????), but even more so, played in Sydney for many years.

So come on kids, which club did he play for????? Any inside goss???

Re: Premier Iemma played for .........

Originally posted by floppinab
    SO,

I've picked up on another thread that our new Premier is a long time AFL fan (Collingwood unfortunately, can we forgive him for that????), but even more so, played in Sydney for many years.

So come on kids, which club did he play for????? Any inside goss???
    think of any club in sydney that had heaps of money ,a lot of future ahead of it,and was run into the ground by the old "too many chiefs" adage....its not my club...that was a stab at the government.

Morris Iemma played junior football for Penshurt Panthers in the St George juniors.

He has attended quite a few St George games over the years but noone can find any records of a senior career at St George.

He might come in handy for the Crows if the plan for $5million is needed to upgrade Hurstville oval in the not to distant future.

Almost Football Legend
    What uni did he go to? Possibly he played for the uni team (I don't know, just guessing).

Interesting comment about upgrading Hurstville Oval. Even if they took the bike track out, it'd still be a very small ground for football.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Norris, the bike track will come out and the ground will be extended at both ends.

On the Rookie List

Smile

Maybe Morrie can finally come to the party (no pun intended) and get a State League aka Canberra / Wagga/ Sydney AFL comp going!

Judging by his change to taxation policy, Iemma is about generating economic growth not throwing money down a drain.

The seasons nearly over, lets not watse our breath again on a State League.

On the Rookie List
    Your absolutely right what was i thinking???

Originally posted by shearer
    Norris, the bike track will come out and the ground will be extended at both ends.
    The cycling club was none too happy with the proposed relocation, by the way. The upgrade would reclaim that piece of park next to the oval (with many grumbling about that because they don't use the oval). A new grandstand would be built to provide better facilities for players, officals and spectators. The dimensions of the proposed extension to the oval would be similar to that of the Adelaide Oval -- short but fat.

There are heaps of positives for doing this: the cricket club is gold and they certainly have a stranglehold on the area. They've really stocked their ranks well for the forthcoming season, plus they're a very progressive club with the best surface in Sydney Grade Cricket. They have so much to gain from this, though sharing their beloved grounds with footy players is not high on their agenda. Should a compromise be reached, the opportunity to score further financial support would be greatly increased if the oval was used year-round, not simply for a season. They had an agreement a few years back with St George RL Jnrs, but that fell through, from memory. Too much damage to the surface?

The cricket club would be able to schedule first class cricket matches if it were extended, eg ING Cup games. The St George Crows would have a decent, non-dustbowl, comfortable home with facilities that would make them the envy of other clubs and the darling of their supporters.

I would support such a move, provided the Crows don't get screwed into the ground by the dominant StGDCC, and gets full use of the cricket clubhouse.
    There was a time, back in the day, when Hurstville Oval had 10,000 people watching a game... mind you, Bradman was playing, but it's a beautiful little oval and I think it is the best choice for a modern AFL/cricket venue for Southern Sydney. Chances are the locals would veto it, based on the fact that there is no parking.

two sports that play on a round ground. You know it makes sense.
    Last edited by Umlaut; 19th August 2005 at 12:37 AM.

Warming the Bench
    I don't think the crows will get screwed

Murray Bennett the ex Aussie test player is one of the head

honco's at Saints cricket. His son played footy for Bankstown

sports for a few years. Murray is a logical person who will see

mutual benefits

On the Rookie List
    Bennett has just been given Life Membership by Cricket NSW!

Also interesting, they have also announced a new elite State League Competition featuring teams from Sydney City, North, South, West, the ACT and a NSW Country team!

Hmmm...where have i heard that idea for Sydney sport before???

On the Rookie List
    Iemma played for: Penshurst Panthers!!
    - Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in a world they've been given, than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact, it's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration, it's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast