Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sam Newman proposes Swans take AFL to court

On the Rookie List
    can you let us know what they said in on the couch?
    Onwards to Victory!

Yarraville, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Originally posted by Whitefox
    I'd like to see that.
    I agree. I just hate them so much. Hate their supporters even more.

After the game on Friday this typically cocky ********** in an Wet Toast scarf said "Bad luck mate. But you know the Eagles were always WAY too good!" (bet he wasn't saying that at 3/4 time).

I nearly chased him and socked him one. It seems to be a trait of Eagle fans, be extremely poor winners. And kick people when they are down.

If we beat them in the Grannie, man I will be giving their fans some ********!

I just HATE the Eagles this season!

JF
    "Never ever ever state that Sydney is gone.They are like cockroaches in the aftermath of a nuclear war"
    (Forum poster 'Change', Big Footy 04Apr09)

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by JF_Bay22_SCG
    It seems to be a trait of Eagle fans, be extremely poor winners. And kick people when they are down.

If we beat them in the Grannie, man I will be giving their fans some ********!
    Monkey see, monkey do?

There are just so many comments I could make right now...
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by BonBon
    Raise your hand for a WCE vs Swans re-match.
    If we met the toasters in the GF, what crowd percentage would support us on the day,allowing for last Friday's outcome?

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Originally posted by BRISWAN
    If we met the toasters in the GF, what crowd percentage would support us on the day,allowing for last Friday's outcome?
    I remember the 1995 Reserves Grand Final, Kangaroos vs Sydney. We lost that one by about 15 points. The crowd support we got from the neutral fans was unbelievable, you would have thought it was a Swans home game.

If we do make the Grand Final against the Eagles, don't be surprised if we got a lot of neutral crowd support. Having not won a flag since 1933, the Swans would be well-placed to wear the underdog tag, even if we went in to the game as favourites. There are premiership players for West Coast still playing. There are no South Melbourne premiership players still alive.

It's not every Grand Final where a club breaks a long drought.

There is one thing certain about the makeup of this year's Grand Final. It will have a non-Victorian club that has tasted recent success playing against a Victorian or ex-Victorian club that has not won a premiership for 39 years or more. (West Coast / Adelaide / Port Adelaide versus St Kilda / Sydney / Geelong)
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veteran Site Admin
    Originally posted by timbo
    can you let us know what they said in on the couch?
    Pretty much that the Swans had their chances, regardless of umpiring decisions.

On the Rookie List
    Originally posted by liz
    Pretty much that the Swans had their chances, regardless of umpiring decisions.
    It was pretty standard Walls stuff. Mention our misses and said that we could have won anyway - didn't mention the Eagles misses and the fact that they didn't have to "win anyway".

OldE
    Interesting the Newman thinks the club could sue...

I took a sports law class last semester, and one of the thing that stuck with me is that its only the good grace of all involved that keeps sport out of the courts, for the most part. We talked about how Bevan could realistically sued Cricket Australia for wrongful dismissal.

The Swans case is an interesting one. Could they sue the AFL for loss of revenue? I am sure there are statistics demonstrating that membership rises significantly in years after a home prelim. verses years in which there is only a home semi. Not to mention the countless bandwagoners who may have gone to the game at Homebush and be converted (they're not just a myth: I am one of them. I had never been to a game at the SCG before I became a member).

And what about fans? Surely there has been enough work done on the way fans identify with sports teams to legitimise suing them for emotional distress.

I'm not saying that we ought to do any of these things. I think, once opened, its a messy can of worms. I am just interested.

Or procrastinating .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123