Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sam Newman proposes Swans take AFL to court

Sam Newman proposes Swans take AFL to court

At the extreme edge of the criticism is former player Sam Newman ? he said the Sydney Swans should take the AFL to court over bad umpiring on Friday night. Closer to the centre are loyal fans craving nothing more than consistency.
    Source

On the Rookie List
    Interesting, though we have no basis on which to litigate for Friday night only. For Sammy, the support is appreciated.

It has been an interesting year for Sydney and the umpires. We've attracted the most Frees Against and this is inexplicable in its entirety. Some of it can be blamed on our attack on the ball but surely we're getting our fair share.

In fact what we have seen for the most of the year is Sydney get pinged for legitimate Frees but not CONSISTENTLY awarded the same gratuities when it's our turn.

On Friday night the umpires had the fortitude to blow the whistle on a completely incomprehensible situation involving Leo but when it came down to a "risky" free to Goodesy, they were unwilling. Unwilling to make a tough decision inside 50 at the business end of the game.

Finals footy puts pressure on all involved in the game, but the Umpires have to be trained to do better.

My honest feeling is that Geishen is a poor administrator who had the audacity to say that the error beared not on the result? Do you think he could take 6 from 2 to equal -4.

The first review from the AFL in October should be to find a new Umpires Chief!
    The Pain of Discipline is Nothing Like The Pain of Disappointment

Regular in the Side

Re: Sam Newman proposes Swans take AFL to court

this bit might actually acheive something however.

The first step has to be a summit in which coaches and officials sort out rules and their interpretation for the entire 2006 season. Providing the expert critics with a forum serves the game better than bullying them into silence.

The Fourth Captain Schneiderman's Avatar
    I'd prefer they just put the whistle away a bit more. Stop jumping to conclusions all the time. I reckon its what hurts us more than anything else.

Originally posted by Schneiderman
    I'd prefer they just put the whistle away a bit more. Stop jumping to conclusions all the time. I reckon its what hurts us more than anything else.
    Here here! Across all games there are too many soft technical frees getting paid that just interfere with the flow of the game. Unless its Goodes getting blatantly legged, in which case they let it go
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren

The Fourth Captain Schneiderman's Avatar
    Originally posted by cruiser
    Unless its Goodes getting blatantly legged, in which case they let it go
    Look I'll admit he played it up. That whole throwing the arms out wasn't in our game a few years ago, and Roos should try to wipe it out.

But if they are going to pay every damn dubious free around the ground, what can you expect from the players?? Whereas if they consistently minimised the number of frees, the players would just try to keep working away without expecting to hear a whistle at every contested play!

Originally posted by cruiser
    Here here! Across all games there are too many soft technical frees getting paid that just interfere with the flow of the game. Unless its Goodes getting blatantly legged, in which case they let it go
    I'd be happy to accept the non-decision if other costly soft kicks weren't paid either (eg. Sampi's in front & 1st qtr. against Hall)

Look I'll admit he played it up. That whole throwing the arms out wasn't in our game a few years ago, and Roos should try to wipe it out.
    Our guys really don't seem to act as well other teams.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    naive
    I thought the arms being thrown up was to highlight you were not in possession of the ball. Similar to holding one hand up to highlight you are not impeding your opponent whilst tackling someone who is over the ball. I realize the arms going up is a bit of soccer-style over emphasis, but it has been around for a while.
    /naive
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Pushing for Selection
    Just thought i would say i heard this from S Newman on Saturday morning (triple M). He sounded like he had more to say on the topic, but was being contrained somehow. In fact, he did say "if i said what i truely thought of it, i would be banned from the airwaves". It was quire encouraging to hear it, as i thought (saturday morning) it was only Swans fans who thought this way! It almost makes it worthwhile watching the "footy show" this thrusday...... almost anyway!
    season 2012- top 4 here we come

On the Rookie List BayesysLeftBoot's Avatar
    Originally posted by cowcar
    Just thought i would say i heard this from S Newman on Saturday morning (triple M). He sounded like he had more to say on the topic, but was being contrained somehow. In fact, he did say "if i said what i truely thought of it, i would be banned from the airwaves". It was quire encouraging to hear it, as i thought (saturday morning) it was only Swans fans who thought this way! It almost makes it worthwhile watching the "footy show" this thrusday...... almost anyway!
    Don't worry, if theres an anti umpire bandwagon to jump onboard Sammy is the first in line. The umpires will get another bagging on thursday night.

Looking forward to On the Couch too.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast