Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alternatives to the current queue ticket system for GF tickets

Regular in the Side
    I look on it as a contribution to the club and my gambling for the year.
    ---------||--ANNE--||----------

The Fourth Captain Schneiderman's Avatar
    Originally posted by Young Blood
    These systems would unfair and no improvement on the queueing system. There will always be exceptions to any rule you use to try to measure loyalty or commitment. For example:
    * members who were sick during the year and couldn't attend games
    * members who lived interstate in the past and couldn't justify the cost of membership
    * junior members who aren't old enough to be long-term members
    * members who struggle to scrape together their membership fee each year, and so renew at the last minute.
    But the club already allocates seats at the ground based on seniority/loyalty, so how is this different. The simple fact is that members who put more into the club deserve more back. When I was newly joined, I was not upset when my request for stand seats was knocked back twice, and even now I am not sitting where I'd ideally like. Its just a fact that I have only paid membership for 5yrs whereas others have done it for 10 or 20 or more years. Without those members the club may well be gone.

I like the idea of preferential treatment to people who pay more. Whether its through an extra arbitray amount at the beginning of the year, by attending a greater number of games, or by holding a continuous membership over a long period of time, those people who advance the financial standing of the club deserve some rewards.

I've got a better idea - lobby the AFL to increase considerably the allocation to the competing clubs.
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren

Originally posted by hammo
    At the start of the year it never seems worthwhile but now I know what I'll be doing next year!!
    I don't know how many Premiership or Sydneysider members there are this year but if they are full and all of them are taken up again by those members (you would think so considering the years we have had recently) then you won't be able to pay the $75.00 and get upgraded.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

On the rise
    Originally posted by Schneiderman
    The simple fact is that members who put more into the club deserve more back.
    I can't agree with that. Some passionate members can't put as much into the club as others because of location, health problems, caring duties, work commitments, or financial constraints. They are no less deserving than those of us whose circumstances allow us to attend more games/pay more money etc.

The Fourth Captain Schneiderman's Avatar
    I can't agree with that. Some passionate members can't put as much into the club as others because of location, health problems, caring duties, work commitments, or financial constraints. They are no less deserving than those of us whose circumstances allow us to attend more games/pay more money etc.
    I did not pay my $75 extra per membership at the start of the year. I did not pay for membership between 1986 and 2000. I did not attend any of the interstate games, including the Canberra one. As a result I have helped less in keeping the club financial, even though I love it passionately. Naturally I have my reasons.

I do not deserve the same considerations as someone who has done all of the above.

On the rise
    I understand what you are saying, and think your intentions are most honourable. But the more that support becomes defined in terms of dollars, the more it will lose its soul.

I understand what you are saying, and think your intentions are most honourable. But the more that support becomes defined in terms of dollars, the more it will lose its soul.
    While I agree that there are many intangibles that go into defining "level of support".. Such as passion, loyalty and willingness to help/volunteer... IMO taking into account years of membership is the best way of allocating rewards such as reserved seats and finals tickets.

I think we can at least agree that members should have first priority when it comes to ticketing? And if you go on years rather than the money you generate for the club, it'd be pretty fair I reckon. Otherwise you go in a ballot, and I might have the opportunity to get a ticket ahead of a 20-year member, and THAT would be wrong.

In the end, EVERYTHING is about what you are willing to sacrifice when it comes to demand exceeding supply. The spoils go to the person who is willing to spend more, or get there earlier/faster etc etc.

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

On the rise
    Originally posted by desredandwhite
    IMO taking into account years of membership is the best way of allocating rewards such as reserved seats and finals tickets.
    It's not a bad system, but would exclude younger people, which seems pretty unfair. We all know how passionate some of the younger RWOers are.

This particular approach would also adversely affect me, a slightly older member. I'm in my late 20s and have always followed the Swans. But I lived in Tasmania until I finished uni (when I moved to Melbourne and took out an AFL membership with Swans club support). I could never have afforded to take out a membership when I was at school, when I couldn't attend any games. Should I be disadvantaged compared to people who grew up in Sydney and Melbourne and have been members for years because they have always been going to games?

On the Rookie List swansrock4eva's Avatar
    Maybe as a way of helping the young 'un's (I'm counting those on junior memberships mostly), maybe take into account their parents as well - years of memberhip, attendance etc in a similar manner? For a lot of younger ones, they come because of their parents, who have been members for a while prior to the child joining as well - I know it's not the case for all, but maybe another option?

Why not just leave it the way it is? The people that want the tickets the most are more likely to get them (spending more $$ on Premiership Club, lining up early, phoning constantly...).

On the Rookie List
    Originally posted by cruiser
    I've got a better idea - lobby the AFL to increase considerably the allocation to the competing clubs.
    Good suggestion but I doubt it'll happen they need all those $s from the corporates. It is a disgrace that only about 20% of the crowd will be members/fans of the competing clubs.

The current system isn't too bad other than having people queuing up twice, once for the queue ticket and then to purchase tickets. I can't see why they can't allow the "guaranteed" members to buy their tickets on the Saturday and the "preference" members to buy them on the Sunday, (subject to the usual disclaimer - that the Swans win on Friday night)
    Last edited by AussieAnge; 14th September 2005 at 07:11 PM.
    Bring it on!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12