Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roos: Best coaching move ever

On the Rookie List

Roos: Best coaching move ever

Sending Hall to the umpires at 3/4 time, won us this game.

Blog Entries
    Yep, very smart.

That move upset the Saints structure more than any other move I think . The umpires were so scare and put the whistle away for a good 10-15 mins in which we won the game decisively.

I actually thought most of the free kicks against us were there tonight. The only obvious one I can think of that was soft was the one on Reiwoldt. The HTB against Bevan was also a bit of a joke. The difference seemed to be that we didn't get the ones which were there in the other direction. Anyway, who cares? We won!!!
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Senior Player
    I would normally post a virtiolic post against the umpires but... tonight.. I just don't have it in me.....

BUT, I don't want to see McLaren and Goldspink again.

Originally posted by Doctor
    I actually thought most of the free kicks against us were there tonight. The only obvious one I can think of that was soft was the one on Reiwoldt. The HTB against Bevan was also a bit of a joke. The difference seemed to be that we didn't get the ones which were there in the other direction. Anyway, who cares? We won!!!
    you took the words right out of my mouth.................

brilliant roosy, i thought he was just firing up hally for a big last qtr.

i actually thought it might work the other way and the maggots would be even worse such are their ego's

grant thomas was right about that
    Roosy = LEGEND

On the Rookie List
    Originally posted by Doctor
    No doubt, "a case could be made" for most of the frees against us tonight. But IMO, that's the biggest problem with AFL football at the moment: so many decisions are 50/50 -- they could constiute a free either way or play on -- and all options are equally justifiable.

Very few infractions have clear cut rules. Pushes and holds occur in every marking contest, they could be paid either way, but their always paid to our opposition. Choppong of the arms in marking contests is a joke, I don't believe a Swans player has ever recieved a free for this. In the back and tackling too high are commonplace and awarded only as the umpires see fit.

The number of unpaid infringements against Barry Hall in marking contests is laughable.

Incorrect decisions (off the top of my head):
    Hall mark in the goal square that wasn't paid.
    In the back to Leo immediately prior to Gehrig snapping a goal from 15m out.
    Tadgh getting cleaned up by Guerra, high and late.
    Schneider OOBOTF that wasn't.
    St Kilda player trying to force a behind--missing--but not being penalised for deliberate.

At one point tonight MacLaren was 1FF-7FA and Goldspink was 1FF-6FA (according to Tim Lane). In the third quarter the frees were 1FF to 8FA. This is not a statisical quirk. The idea of MacLaren or Goldspink umpiring next week, makes me sick.

I've said it elsewhere: the defining moment of the match was Roos sending Hall to the umpires. Putting the spotlight on those maggots was like pouring salt on slugs. They STFU from that moment on. They new they couldn't keep it up or they'd be McInerney-ed in the press.

I'm a lifetime supporter of a club that is now in a grand final, and after two very successful seasons. Despite that, during this season I've come to hate this game, because so often it doesn't seem to matter how hard and well my team plays, but rather, the result lies with the whim of the umpires.

Senior Player
    Originally posted by midaro
    No doubt, "a case could be made" for most of the frees against us tonight. But IMO, that's the biggest problem with AFL football at the moment: so many decisions are 50/50 -- they could constiute a free either way or play on -- and all options are equally justifiable.

Very few infractions have clear cut rules. Pushes and holds occur in every marking contest, they could be paid either way, but their always paid to our opposition. Choppong of the arms in marking contests is a joke, I don't believe a Swans player has ever recieved a free for this. In the back and tackling too high are commonplace and awarded only as the umpires see fit.

The number of unpaid infringements against Barry Hall in marking contests is laughable.

Incorrect decisions (off the top of my head):
    Hall mark in the goal square that wasn't paid.
    In the back to Leo immediately prior to Gehrig snapping a goal from 15m out.
    Tadgh getting cleaned up by Guerra, high and late.
    Schneider OOBOTF that wasn't.
    St Kilda player trying to force a behind--missing--but not being penalised for deliberate.

At one point tonight MacLaren was 1FF-7FA and Goldspink was 1FF-6FA (according to Tim Lane). In the third quarter the frees were 1FF to 8FA. This is not a statisical quirk. The idea of MacLaren or Goldspink umpiring next week, makes me sick.

I've said it elsewhere: the defining moment of the match was Roos sending Hall to the umpires. Putting the spotlight on those maggots was like pouring salt on slugs. They STFU from that moment on. They new they couldn't keep it up or they'd be McInerney-ed in the press.

I'm a lifetime supporter of a club that is now in a grand final, and after two very successful seasons. Despite that, during this season I've come to hate this game, because so often it doesn't seem to matter how hard and well my team plays, but rather, the result lies with the whim of the umpires.
    I hated it so much (the umpiring) I had to leave at 3/4 time - I was surrounded by Saints fans who IMHO had no idea.

By Christ it was a good walk to the car - some bystanders thought I was crazy as I was listening to the radio.

BTW Thomas is not a good coach - but, I think he is a good administrator if that makes sense.

Originally posted by Foreign Legion
    BTW Thomas is not a good coach - but, I think he is a good administrator if that makes sense.
    Yep, he's more a manager than a coach.

I'm on the Chandwagon!!!

If you cannot compete for the premiership, it's better to be young and exciting than middle-aged and dowdy.

Veteran Site Admin
    Even the Saints mate that I was at the game with admitted that we were getting completely done by the umps - moreso with the ones we weren't getting than those the Saints were, though there sure were some softies in that group too.

SXP
    What happened to the "paying the obvous free kicks"? The umps were bad again and I hope none of them will be officiating in the GF!

On the rise
    We were burned by the umpires yet again. Can't believe some Melbournians still prattle on about an AFL conspiracy for the Swans to win a flag when we've had the free for/against stats we have had this year.

St K got quite a few goals from dubious frees. Holding the ball decisions were very inconsistent all night. I've never yelled at the umpires so much in my life.

No coincidence that once they put the whistles away, we took complete control. Of course, St K were also out on their feet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast