Thread: Troy Luff Medal - Semi Final

Troy Luff Medal - Semi Final

Welcome to the thirteenth - and third last - instalment of our Premiership year Troy Luff Medal count! Tonight, we look at a match that has already entered our club's rich folklore: the last-gasp semi final victory over Geelong. It's a match that will be forever mentioned when talk turns to great finals moments, and it's a match that will forever be synonymous with one name.

Before we cover the Geelong final, however, let's review the vote tally. With only three weeks to go, our list of contenders is down to three. Craig Bolton is Brett Kirk's main challenger, with Barry Hall needing to surprise us in tonight's polling to have any chance:
    49. Brett Kirk
    46. Craig Bolton
    38. Barry Hall
    36. Jude Bolton
    35. Adam Goodes
    20. Nick Davis
    18. Amon Buchanan
    17. Luke Ablett, Ryan O?Keefe
    14. Leo Barry
    13. Paul Williams
    12. Tadhg Kennelly
    9. Darren Jolly, Michael O?Loughlin
    6. Lewis Roberts-Thomson
    4. Nic Fosdike, Jared Crouch
    2. David Spriggs, Luke Vogels, Adam Schneider
    1. Jarrad McVeigh

Stung but not broken by the cruel end to the qualifying final, the Swans returned to Sydney for their home final - and final home game - against the Cats. Geelong had started the season in fine form, and had briefly been flag favourites during the year. They had crashed to sixth with a poor second half of the season, but had smashed Melbourne in the first week of the finals. To overcome Geelong, it was crucial that the Swans put their frustration with the Subiaco result behind them.

From early in the match, it looked bad for the Swans. In a tight, scrappy and (dare I say it) ugly first half, Sydney were once again indirect and inefficient. They could manage only two goals six for the half, both in the first term. The damage was only minimised by Geelong's own inaccuracy. The Cats had kicked 5.8 at the main break, but were clearly the better side. With Matthew Scarlett smothering Barry Hall and the Geelong midfield clearly on top, only Jared Crouch, Nick Davis and the Sydney ruckmen flew the flag for the Swans.

After half time, the Swans loosened the shackles, as was necessary to get back into the game. The scoring opportunities began to flow as a result, but were repeatedly wasted. Only Michael O'Loughlin managed a goal as the Swans kicked 1.6 - a dismal 3.12 at the last break. The Cats, 17 points ahead and playing with confidence, seemed headed for a preliminary final berth. Sydney didn't have any answers, and were facing a straight sets exit from the Premiership race.

Except, of course, for one man. From the debris of three terrible quarters of football came Nick Davis to save the Swans. After the Cats seemingly put the result beyond doubt by kicking the first goal of the final term, Davis single-handedly stole it back. His first goal gave us a glimmer of hope. His second a few minutes later kept that hope alive. But the minutes were ticking away. The job seemed too big for one man.

Or perhaps Nick has a taste for the theatrical. With two minutes left, he gave us another glimmer with his third goal. Surely, we couldn't steal it. Yet surely we couldn't come so close and walk away empty handed. A ball up with seconds left gave us our last desperate chance, and Jason Ball got the perfect tap to a loose Swan. It was Nick. He was there, one more time, to give us our glimmer of hope.

Here are the votes. Guess who got the five!

5. Nick Davis
    4. Brett Kirk
    3. Jared Crouch
    2. Craig Bolton
    1. Jason Ball

Congrats to all five, particularly Jason Ball, who finally polls in his last season. Jason has given us good service since crossing from West Coast. Thanks Jason, and good luck. We couldn't have won our Premiership without you.

So, with only two matches left, Brett Kirk has finally secured a big lead in the Troy Luff Medal. He leads Craig Bolton by five votes. Can Craig catch him?
    53. Brett Kirk
    48. Craig Bolton
    38. Barry Hall
    36. Jude Bolton
    35. Adam Goodes
    25. Nick Davis
    18. Amon Buchanan
    17. Luke Ablett, Ryan O?Keefe
    14. Leo Barry
    13. Paul Williams
    12. Tadhg Kennelly
    9. Darren Jolly, Michael O?Loughlin
    7. Jared Crouch
    6. Lewis Roberts-Thomson
    4. Nic Fosdike
    2. David Spriggs, Luke Vogels, Adam Schneider
    1. Jarrad McVeigh, Jason Ball

Join me tomorrow night for the penultimate match in this Premiership season, as the Swans defeat St Kilda to secure a Grand Final berth.

Charlie
    We hate Anthony Rocca
    We hate Shannon Grant too
    We hate scumbag Gaspar
    But Leo WE LOVE YOU!

About time you got here

I think Kirky's got it wrapped up now, I can't see C-Bolt getting another 5 votes. He was very good on Riewoldt in the PF, but I think O'Keefe will get the 5 in that game, and he copped a knock early in the GF and had a fairly quiet game.

Kirky probably won't poll in the PF, as he had a quiet game after copping a Luke Ablett knee to the head, but may get some votes in the GF.

Yep, I'm jumping the gun, but I'm gonna call it - Kirky's our man

On the Rookie List
    International Rules Votes
    5 - N Davis
    4 - A Buchanan
    3 - R O'Keefe
    BACK2BACK

This had me crying again

Nick Davis, Nick Davis, I see it but I don't believe it.

Originally posted by anniswan
    This had me crying again

Exactly, I read it, sobbed, thought I'd post my reaction, read down, and you got there first!
    Dream, believe, achieve!

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I just finished watching it again (I've lost count). Even now I get that heart-in-mouth, bust-a-lung gasp as the fourth one goes through. A truly unforgettable moment.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Blog Entries
    Siriusly

Vicky Pollard: Oh my god I so can't believe you just said that this is like the time I threw Anita's nokia in the canal as a joke and she's like you have well got to buy me another one and I'm like get over it and then Paul came over who's adopted anyway and started saying that I fancy Mark Bennett but oh my god just because I have sex with someone doesn't mean I fancy them.

I watched the last quarter of this game again lst night. It is sensational. The crowd noise after Davis' 2nd goal is extraordinary.
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren