Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Troy Luff Medal - Preliminary Final

Troy Luff Medal - Preliminary Final

Welcome to the penultimate instalment of the 2005 Troy Luff Medal! Tonight, we look at one of the best wins of our Premiership season, when the Swans travelled to Melbourne to defy the odds, media pundits, history and St Kilda to reach only our second Grand Final in sixty years.

Before we do so, let's review the vote tally. Only the top two players remain in contention, and Craig Bolton must make in-roads into Brett Kirk's lead in this match, if he is to win a Troy Luff Medal:
    53. Brett Kirk
    48. Craig Bolton
    38. Barry Hall
    36. Jude Bolton
    35. Adam Goodes
    25. Nick Davis
    18. Amon Buchanan
    17. Luke Ablett, Ryan O?Keefe
    14. Leo Barry
    13. Paul Williams
    12. Tadhg Kennelly
    9. Darren Jolly, Michael O?Loughlin
    7. Jared Crouch
    6. Lewis Roberts-Thomson
    4. Nic Fosdike
    2. David Spriggs, Luke Vogels, Adam Schneider
    1. Jarrad McVeigh, Jason Ball

After our miraculous victory over the Cats, Sydney's attention turned to the Saints and the preliminary final. The same can't be said, however, for the rest of the football world, which had already been focusing firmly on the glamour Victorian side since their qualifying final win over Adelaide. During the week, the Herald Sun had polled St Kilda's 1966 premiership players to see how many would attend the Grand Final. Sydney were a side-show, a minor hurdle on the way to St Kilda's date with destiny.

Of course, this was of no concern to the Swans. As always when they are underdogs Sydney had a calm, quiet self-belief. It was easily visible from the first minutes of the final. Unlike the Geelong game, the Swans started well, playing with the free, confident style that has served them so well whenever they've chosen to use it. Sydney, with Ryan O'Keefe firing, took a two goal lead in to quarter time. Barry Hall had also started well, although a love-tap to Matt Maguire's mid-riff would prompt excited media speculation.

In the next two quarters, St Kilda started to get on top of the Bloods, but could never gain a decisive edge. Poor kicking in the second quarter - 2.4 - didn't help their cause, however. Although there were ominous signs, the Swans were never out of the contest, and were once again making fools of the 'experts' who said they couldn't win. After two quarters in which the underdone Saints needed - and perhaps expected - to gain a break on Sydney, the side-show Swans were only seven points down.

Two years ago against Brisbane, the Swans had been even closer to a Grand Final, and had fallen away. This time, they were determined not to let their chance slip. The Saints, for their part, were bruised in body and broken in spirit, and provided no opposition to the Sydney flood. Flood of goals, that is, as Adam Schneider kicked the first two of the quarter to put us front. The Swans had taken a Grand Final berth, and now they ran away with it, kicking another five goals to seal the victory by 31 points. Sydney's hopes of Premiership victory, barely a glimmer the week before, were now burning brightly.

With impressive performances all over the ground, competition was fierce for Troy Luff Medal votes:

5. Ryan O'Keefe
    4. Craig Bolton
    3. Barry Hall
    2. Adam Schneider
    1. Jared Crouch
    1. Brett Kirk

Congratulations to all six. Craig Bolton has closed the gap to just two votes, and despite few possessions he was well and truly in contention for votes in the Grand Final. Yet Kirk's effort to tie for one vote could prove crucial. Will the 2005 Premiership edition Troy Luff Medal come down to this single vote?

Here's the vote tally:
    54. Brett Kirk
    52. Craig Bolton
    41. Barry Hall
    36. Jude Bolton
    35. Adam Goodes
    25. Nick Davis
    22. Ryan O'Keefe
    18. Amon Buchanan
    17. Luke Ablett
    14. Leo Barry
    13. Paul Williams
    12. Tadhg Kennelly
    9. Darren Jolly, Michael O?Loughlin
    8. Jared Crouch
    6. Lewis Roberts-Thomson
    4. Nic Fosdike, Adam Schneider
    2. David Spriggs, Luke Vogels
    1. Jarrad McVeigh, Jason Ball

Join me tomorrow night, as we complete our Troy Luff Medal count for 2005, with that day at the MCG.

Charlie
    We hate Anthony Rocca
    We hate Shannon Grant too
    We hate scumbag Gaspar
    But Leo WE LOVE YOU!

Re: Troy Luff Medal - Preliminary Final

Originally posted by Charlie
    5. Ryan O'Keefe
    This one's for Scott:

YEAH!
    Vicky Pollard: Oh my god I so can't believe you just said that this is like the time I threw Anita's nokia in the canal as a joke and she's like you have well got to buy me another one and I'm like get over it and then Paul came over who's adopted anyway and started saying that I fancy Mark Bennett but oh my god just because I have sex with someone doesn't mean I fancy them.

Great review Charlie. Well done and thanks.
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren

This is much more exciting yhan yhe Brownlow. I've put my best frock on while I sit here reading the TLM and I am going to pretend I'm walking down the red carpet tomorrow when I read the final instalment of our PREMIERSHIP season.

Should I wear a tiara?
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

As long as there's a glass of champers in your hand, then the decision is all yours! Crack open the good stuff: it's a big event!
    And you can't find nothing at all,
    If there was nothing there all along.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    My birthday and the final installment of the TLM. It's gonna be great day.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Re: Troy Luff Medal - Preliminary Final

Originally posted by Charlie

Congratulations to all six. Craig Bolton has closed the gap to just two votes, and despite few possessions he was well and truly in contention for votes in the Grand Final. Yet Kirk's effort to tie for one vote could prove crucial. Will the 2005 Premiership edition Troy Luff Medal come down to this single vote?

This is the only time I have disagreed with the votes this year. I just don't know whether Kirk did enough to get a vote, but then isn't that what this is all about. Rewarding the players and to get us all thinking about how they played during the year.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

On the Rookie List

Re: Re: Troy Luff Medal - Preliminary Final

Originally posted by goswannie14
    This is the only time I have disagreed with the votes this year. I just don't know whether Kirk did enough to get a vote, but then isn't that what this is all about. Rewarding the players and to get us all thinking about how they played during the year.
    I know what you're saying, however from memory, didn't the Saints dominate completely when Kirky was getting stitched? I remember saying to the wifey, "where the hell is Kirky...get him back on".
    The Pain of Discipline is Nothing Like The Pain of Disappointment

Re: Re: Re: Troy Luff Medal - Preliminary Final

Originally posted by TheHood
    I know what you're saying, however from memory, didn't the Saints dominate completely when Kirky was getting stitched? I remember saying to the wifey, "where the hell is Kirky...get him back on".
    Must have coincided with the time the umpires were crucifying us!!!

Sorry forgot...that was the whole match...

Senior Player
    Surely Kirk deserves a vote for the stirring three-quarter time address...

Originally posted by penga
    Surely Kirk deserves a vote for the stirring three-quarter time address...
    I will concede to that...I would have loved to have heard what he had to say

OK, its now tomorrow! Where is it?
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast