Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swans = Best Team Last Three Years

The Fourth Captain Schneiderman's Avatar

Swans = Best Team Last Three Years

I posted this on BigFooty to piss off the opposition fans, but thought it might provide some food for thought for everyone on RWO:

This is not an arrogant claim, just a statement of fact.

For 2003-2005 (Premierships - P/W/L/D Win%
    1 Port Adel 1 74/51/22/1 68.92%
    2 Sydney 1 74/47/27/0 63.51%
    3 West Coast 0 71/44/25/2 61.97%
    4 Bris Lions 1 73/45/27/1 61.64%
    5 St Kilda 0 71/43/28/0 60.56%

Now considering that only three of the top 5 teams have won a premiership during that time, the other two cant claim the title. So of the three who have won, their finishes after finals are as follows:

Sydney - 3rd, 5th, 1st
    Port - 4th, 1st, 6th
    Brisbane - 1st, 2nd, 11th

So with a premiership, consistently high finishes, wins in finals every year, and the second highest win %, the best team 2003-2005 is the Sydney Swans under Paul Roos.

And I laugh at all of the opposition supporters who suggest we were "lucky" to win it this year, or that we somehow "stole" it. Especially those who support the Saints or Weagles.
    Our Greatest Moment:

Saturday, 24th Sept, 2005 - 5:13pm

Veteran Site Admin
    Posting stuff like that is just as daft as posts claiming the Swans were undeserving winners this year.

Port and Brisbane were clearly the best sides in the comp for the previous 3 years. The Swans were good - better than many give them credit for - but still short of those two.

This year the Swans were one of four very good teams. They played as a unit, took their chances and came away with the premiership. Remember that we were three seconds away from going out in straight sets in the finals. And one Leo Barry mark away from a heartbreaking GF loss.

I don't think that acknowledging the closeness as the top takes anything away from the Swans' achievement. If anything, it adds to the "legend" of what they achieved.

There is such a thing as being a gracious winner.

Originally posted by liz
    Posting stuff like that is just as daft as posts claiming the Swans were undeserving winners this year.

Port and Brisbane were clearly the best sides in the comp for the previous 3 years. The Swans were good - better than many give them credit for - but still short of those two.

This year the Swans were one of four very good teams. They played as a unit, took their chances and came away with the premiership. Remember that we were three seconds away from going out in straight sets in the finals. And one Leo Barry mark away from a heartbreaking GF loss.

I don't think that acknowledging the closeness as the top takes anything away from the Swans' achievement. If anything, it adds to the "legend" of what they achieved.

There is such a thing as being a gracious winner.
    LOL. So by looking at the achievements of the past three seasons in its completeness is somehow "ungracious"? Please. Its time to take stock of just how much we have achieved over the last three years, and properly celebrate a team that has actually had fantastic success. Anything less is insulting to their efforts.

Dont forget that Brisbane and Port, who were supposedly "clearly the best sides in the comp for the previous 3 years", we beat both at home and away, and in games that counted. In fact the only game we lost that mattered (2003 PF), arguably cost us the 2003 premiership.

In sport people confuse success with "elegance" when assessing just how "good" a side or sportsman is. I have known plenty of really good sports-people who have "looked classier", or "played more impressively", than other peers of theirs who have gone on to make a real fist of their craft. Because the proof is in the pudding. As it is in the Swans team.

Note I never said the Swans were more "talented" or more "attractive" or had "more potential" than any other side. But the simple fact is that they were "better" when measured by the level of success they have had over that time.

And its the truth.
    Our Greatest Moment:

Originally posted by Schneiderman
    LOL. So by looking at the achievements of the past three seasons in its completeness is somehow "ungracious"? Please. Its time to take stock of just how much we have achieved over the last three years, and properly celebrate a team that has actually had fantastic success. Anything less is insulting to their efforts.

Dont forget that Brisbane and Port, who were supposedly "clearly the best sides in the comp for the previous 3 years", we beat both at home and away, and in games that counted. In fact the only game we lost that mattered (2003 PF), arguably cost us the 2003 premiership.

In sport people confuse success with "elegance" when assessing just how "good" a side or sportsman is. I have known plenty of really good sports-people who have "looked classier", or "played more impressively", than other peers of theirs who have gone on to make a real fist of their craft. Because the proof is in the pudding. As it is in the Swans team.

Note I never said the Swans were more "talented" or more "attractive" or had "more potential" than any other side. But the simple fact is that they were "better" when measured by the level of success they have had over that time.

And its the truth.
    This proves that you can make stats say anything. Look I'm as one eyed as they get, but to look at the last three years is just selective, go back another year and Bris has won 2 flags, further back...they have won three flags.

I know what you are saying...but the selectiveness of the period of your stats does not help your argument.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Originally posted by goswannie14
    This proves that you can make stats say anything. Look I'm as one eyed as they get, but to look at the last three years is just selective, go back another year and Bris has won 2 flags, further back...they have won three flags.

I know what you are saying...but the selectiveness of the period of your stats does not help your argument.
    Well for a start the period happens to coincide with Roos tenure as coach. So thats why I picked it

As for Brisbane, I never said anything about how good they have been in entirety. In fact I rate them as the best side ever (considering their only "challengers" played in a draftless and very "local" comp). But I argue that their last three years, during the time of the current Swans administration, has been less than ours.

Whether this is the beginning of a mini-dynasty for us, even if it only spans another two or three years, is yet to be seen.
    Our Greatest Moment:

Here's hoping

Commentary Team Captain BeeEmmAre's Avatar
    Originally posted by Schneiderman

Arguably!!!!

Mate, there is no way known the Colliwobbles would have beaten us in the 03 grand final.

But, we didn't get the chance to play them, the Lions did and good luck to them.
    "It's up to the rest of the players in the room to make a new batch of premiership players next year," Adam Goodes, triple Bob Skilton Medallist, October 7, 2011.

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    ******** this ******** is arrogant. I can't believe you would post this on Bigfooty. I hope you got an absolute caning from the opposition posters for being so arrogant.

You must of learnt this from the Port supporters when they won last year.
    Last edited by Jeffers1984; 24th October 2005 at 08:29 AM.
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

Originally posted by Jeffers1984
    ******** this ******** is arrogant.
    I thought that. But tried to point it out a little more subtley

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    Originally posted by goswannie14
    I thought that. But tried to point it out a little more subtley
    Unfortunately being subtle isn't one of my strong points on RWO Mr goswannie14
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

Blog Entries
    With the amount of morons on there posting utter crap, baggaing the swans, whinging about this and that. I say go for it SM!!!

Originally posted by Jeffers1984
    Unfortunately being subtle isn't one of my strong points on RWO Mr goswannie14
    Being new here I have been behaving myself...or trying to at least

Originally posted by ScottH
    With the amount of morons on there posting utter crap, baggaing the swans, whinging about this and that. I say go for it SM!!!
    But we don't want to sound like St Kilda or WCE supporters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast