Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Troy Luff Medal - Grand Final

Veterans List
    Brett - congratulations on being the deserved winner of this award. For a superficial city, Sydney seems to have an uncanny ability to attract and develop Swans players who represent gritty, heart on the sleeve, never-say-die types worthy of great respect. Of course there was Kel and, following him, Stewie. Now we have you. Of course, those of us who watch the Swans every week recognise those qualities in so many of our players - Craig B (the runner up in this award), Leo, Amon, NOG, we could simply go through the entire playing list. But what makes this award so right in this Premiership year is that the winner is you - closely followed by Craig. While we admire your skills, we respect the way that both of you give your all on the field every week.

It was wonderful that we spent the second half of the season knowing that, no matter how tough the opposition, the Swans would never give up. That spirit has given the club its first Premiership in 72 years. Thanks for the conclusion to September that we've dreamed of.

Oh, and thanks for the "This is for the Bloods" declaration. It neatly brought past and present together at the end of a great finals campaign.

Regular in the Side
    Congratulations Brett on another great season. The rewards have been many - a premiership medallion, a B&F and the TLM to show that the supporters appreciate your contribution to the team.

Your whole career has been testimony to your courage, spirit, teamwork and ability - you are everything that "The Bloods" embodies.

Well done and best of luck in 2006.

Blog Entries
    Please don't celebrate with Molly again, he is too old for you.

Senior Player
    What follows is a thread I started on 7 March 2003:

Post PK adulation

I recall that this time last year there was a RWO poll asking posters to nominate their three favourite players. From memory Paul Kelly was overwhelmingly the most popular player. I know that he got three votes from me.

So now that Kel won't be wearing the famous number 14 this year, who is your new favourite player? (This is only posed to those whose favourite player was Kel last year).

I'm going to start the ball rolling by making what I perceive will be an unpopular selection, and nominate Brett Kirk. While not in the same league as Kel, I feel that he has a big heart, is a great tackler, and though not over-endowed with talent, always has a go. Plus, he is fast becoming a cult hero for those of us who sport the sideburns.

Any takers?

Kel was a legend to all of us and when Kirky retires he will also attain the 'immortal' tag with Bloods fans. I'd like to amend my original comment (see above) of not being overly-endowed with talent. Brett Kirk oozes talent. Sure it's a funny looking kicking style, but hey it's pretty effective. I'd like to see him named captain next year, and go on to play 200+ games for the Bloods while picking up a Brownlow on the way. Brett Kirk - Toughest Man Alive.

Well done Brett on winning the TLM, the B & F, and the premiership. You are one of the primary reasons that I go to the footy and enjoy it so much.

PS Happy birthday for last Tuesday
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Brett,

Congratulations on 2005 -- a solid season, a premiership, the Bobby Skilton Best & Fairest medal and finally, the Troy Luff medal. The story of your career has fascinated many, and these victories must be entirely satisfying for you.

You had an amazing season, and I really admired the way you led the troops during the season, both with and without the (c) next to your name. The sheer courage you possess is staggering: you showed us why you have earnt the tag 'toughest man alive'.

I wish you further success in 2006 and beyond, both on and off the football field.

PS: Captain Kirk certainly has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?

b.
    Last edited by Tuesday; 3rd November 2005 at 11:27 PM.
    And you can't find nothing at all,
    If there was nothing there all along.

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by AussieAnge
    Well done Charlie on your hard work compiling and writing up the results. A great write up on a great day.
    Well done to B2 and congratulations to Kirk.
    Will definitely vote in the TLM next year. Yes, I know very remiss of me not to this year.
    Errh hummm???

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345