Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1996 GF (9 years on)

1996 GF (9 years on)

Hi,

I was probably one of the most painful games to watch, as we started so well, but went pear-shape.

I have never watched a replay of the game!! Don't think i will ever. Has anyone watched a replay of it?

On the Rookie List
    does 2003 prelim final count as a replay?
    BACK2BACK

Blog Entries

Re: 1996 GF (9 years on)

Originally posted by airpoe
    Hi,

I was probably one of the most painful games to watch, as we started so well, but went pear-shape.

I have never watched a replay of the game!! Don't think i will ever. Has anyone watched a replay of it?
    Yeah I got it on tape. Watched it once, but only up till half time.

Now we have won one for real it won't be as disappointing to watch it.

Re: 1996 GF (9 years on)

Originally posted by airpoe
    Hi,

Nope, I cant watch it. All I have seen of it are a few high/lowlights that pop up now and then on TV and that is painful enough.
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)

Re: Re: 1996 GF (9 years on)

Originally posted by ScottH
    Yeah I got it on tape. Watched it once, but only up till half time.

Now we have won one for real it won't be as disappointing to watch it.
    Same, i only watch it till even before half time when Freeborn gets his goal.

I still cringe on the 2 potentially defining moments in the 2nd quarter when Kelly's pass just falls short of Pluggers chest and the explosive run out of the pack and miss 45 out from the captain courageous.
    Last edited by Jeffers1984; 25th October 2005 at 11:16 AM.
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

I've watched it a couple of times, but it's not easy. It's great up until those two fundamental blues - the ones that should have hit Plugger.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

On the Rookie List
    Originally posted by Plugger46
    I've watched it a couple of times, but it's not easy. It's great up until those two fundamental blues - the ones that should have hit Plugger.
    We won in 96 I thought....

We beat Essendon in Sydney on the Sat night and then the Swans lost to the Roos the following week in an Exhibition match to honour the lifelong South Melb fans who couldn't get to Sydney to watch Plugger bring home the bacon.....

Oh well, I believed it was a GF win that year - Bombout fans are still heartbroken (and loving it).......
    Well somebody told me, You had a boyfriend, Who looks like a girlfriend,That I had in February of last year, It's not confidential, I've got potential

Somebody told me, The Killers, Hot Fuss, 2004.

double vodka lemon pls
    refuse to watch it, I am still too cranky (not only about the loss) about the north melb supporters who stood on their chairs in the row in front of us for the entire last quarter, it was completely rude as...and needless to say flying back home with my brother who is a north supporter had me almost jumping off the harbour bridge that evening, its seriously worth forgetting let alone watching a reply.....
    you know what they say, dirty pants- clean botty

Regular in the Side
    I've watched the replay once. I was half-drunk on champagne by half time and then drowned my sorrows in the second half as I was ferried around to my brother's wedding in a limo. Couldn't remember much of the game except that we blew it, so had to watch it once. Haven't watched it since the week after the game though.
    Life's not a spectator sport

I can't watch any game I know we lose, let alone the 96 GF.

But I agree, winning this year makes it maybe a possibility some time in the next 10 years, just to see the old players again on the big stage. Maybe I will switch it off at half time - that could be enough.

Living in 2005
    I can watch it to the moment the kick from Kel to Plugger is slightly short and the Roos take it away for a 12 point turnaround.

From there, it goes off!

I do find the first quarter and start of the 2nd very very exciting still though, I just have to forget the end result.

Thanks to 2005, I might actually be able to watch the whole thing again, someday!

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    I'm a bit like that with the last quarter of the 2003 PF. Could never bring myself to watch it. For me, it was that 'mark' to Schneider in the goal square at the end of the third quarter (that looked like it hit the ground, but still can't tell to this day).

I can't remember ever feeling so flat and empty as I was on the train ride home from that game.

Feels much better now!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast