Thread: preseason draft

Warming the Bench

preseason draft

with my limited knowledge of swans inner workings.i think we have a full list,no room for any cast offs,just rookies.
    am i right or wrong?

merry swansmas everyone
    forgotten 1996
    2005 a much sweeter memory,2012 even better

That's what the media articles I have read have said.

Unless there are more delistings (but I think the deadline has already just past? Not sure).

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

Yes, yes and yes. We are not players. There was a 3rd and final list lodgment (the first 2 being 31 October and 18 November) on 2 December. Judging by the lack of any reports, we can safely assume that we submitted the full list of 38 (inc 3 draftees) and didn't delist Adam Schneider to leave us room to pick up Shane Woewodin*.

Barring cruel and unusual nastiness, the only reason why a player would be included in the first 2 lists and not in the last is an unforeseen retirement (a la Matera) or last-minute breakdown of contract negotiations (a la what didn't happen with O'Keefe).

* This is a joke.

So, what would've happened if the O'Keefe negotiations had broken down at the last minute?

Would he have been without a club for 2006?

Or does he stay on the Swans' list without a contract?

On the Rookie List
    probably that chammond.
    i mean we do ahve uncontracted players.

but fat chance they were going to let a contract with one of the 22 (well, 21) break down.

On the Rookie List
    It was stated today that Sydney, along with 5 other clubs won't participate in the PDS. Had negotiations broken down with ROK, he would have to have been delisted (forcibly), prior to the PSD.
    LIFE GOES ON

Yeah, but the only reason we have a PSD is to mitigate any restraint of trade allegations against the AFL.

If it is possible for players to come out of contract between list close off and PSD (as may have happened to O'Keefe) then surely the whole system breaks down?

On the Rookie List

Re: preseason draft

Originally posted by gazza
    with my limited knowledge of swans inner workings.i think we have a full list,no room for any cast offs,just rookies.
    am i right or wrong?

merry swansmas everyone
    haha i just saw that.
    merry swansmas, that's cute

Originally posted by chammond
    Yeah, but the only reason we have a PSD is to mitigate any restraint of trade allegations against the AFL.

If it is possible for players to come out of contract between list close off and PSD (as may have happened to O'Keefe) then surely the whole system breaks down?
    My understanding based largely on this article (appropriately enough from the Carlton website) is that a club must delist an uncontracted player in its final list lodgment on 2 December.

A rule of this sort is necessary if (as I'm led to believe) you must actually not be on an AFL club's list to nominate for PSD, b/c otherwise the whole thing would be frustrated if a club could say 'screw you, you play for us or nobody' by not deleting an uncontracted player from its list.

Apart from protecting the interests of the individual player (and so minimising the risk that anyone will bring legal action alleging the draft is illegal), the reasons why the clubs wouldn't be too shirty about the rule are:
    a) The club is the only one to lose if it doesn't face reality and delete from its submitted list a player who is going to leave, because then it doesn't have a spot available to pick a replacement in the PSD (or an extra rookie); and
    b) Estimated total player payments within the salary cap must also be submitted by 2 December, requiring that contracts have been signed (or at least individual salaries agreed to).

The system will presumably work most elegantly if the standard AFL contract expires on 30 November. The cutoff for nominating for the PSD is 9 December.

Camporeale was on Carlton's submitted list as at 18 November (and he's still on their website as a player). Despite that, Carlton must have been required to exclude him from their 2 December list.