Thread: Age Limit for Rookies...

Regular in the Side
    MCC Members, Section M40, Row Z, Seat 17. Forever.

Age Limit for Rookies...

...do we need one?

If an ex-player is ready to play at a later age and willing to be paid the rookie salary, why have an age limit?

Good article by Jake Niall in The Age making the case for removing the age restriction. Sorry I can't find the url, but he does include a great line, saying that for delisted players born in 1982 were now not eligible, stating: "1982, the last time the Richmond Football Club and Duran Duran were respectable!"

It's a gamble, so picking up a Stupido or even Woewoeful may be a worthwhile punt at 50-odd, to back up your depth in case the worst case occurs.

Note that I am not advocating this for us. I reckon Stupido would not pass the "No dyckheads" muster, unfortunately, if Lethal and Sheeds couldn't get him to train. Mind, a Roos touch coupled with the fanatical selfless dedication of the playing group may turn him around.

Just a thought.

MOC.
    Insert Your Life [HERE]

As long as the rookie pay is lower than the dole it doesn't make much sense to have an age barrier as well, agreed.

Regular in the Side
    Originally posted by Sanecow
    As long as the rookie pay is lower than the dole it doesn't make much sense to have an age barrier as well, agreed.
    I think your reasoning is a little spurious there however it's nice that you agree.
    Insert Your Life [HERE]

Originally posted by mocaholic
    I think your reasoning is a little spurious there however it's nice that you agree.
    Spurious how?

Regular in the Side
    Spurious how?
    My thinking is that the benefits that a rookie-listed player has, far exceeds what an average individual on the dole would receive: training: being involved with the top echelon of your chosen 'trade', support with further schooling, a professional and supportive environment, profile (limited, admittedly), as well as the possible 'upside' in terms of future opportunities, is a world away from a welfare payment with historically a very poor - even despised - connotation.

My thinking, as I stated.
    Insert Your Life [HERE]

The key reason for having the rookie list is that it gives more kids a chance. That's a good reason to leave it alone... but at the same time, there are plenty of 23+ players out there that clubs would gladly have on their rookie lists if they could. They also deserve a chance.

I would agree with it - but I would cap the number of games a player may have played at AFL level (probably at 50). I would also limit the number of mature-aged rookies to no more than two.
    We hate Anthony Rocca
    We hate Shannon Grant too
    We hate scumbag Gaspar
    But Leo WE LOVE YOU!

I didn't take your thread seriously after you suggested Cupido or Woewoedin could play into their fifties.

Regular in the Side
    I didn't take your thread seriously after you suggested Cupido or Woewoedin could play into their fifties.
    Ho-kay. I see. Just taking YOUR line seriously (!!), I reckon that if any bloke could play into his 50's, it'd be one of those two. Or perhaps Paul Hudson. I don't think they've had a collision with another body in their entire careers. I remember when Frawley drafted Huddo the medical clearance stated that he 'had the body of a 25 yo'. Not going in for a hard pill will do that to you.

Charlie, my point is that it is a punt, and perhaps depending on where you are in the cycle, picking up Stupido (for eg) MAY be an option for a short-term gain.

Given the long lead times a lot of these kids have anyway we are really just guessing. Educated guesses sure, but guesses still. And for tall KPP (as stated above) who mature later, lifting the age limit - if you aren't going to remove it entirely - may be a realistic and positive option. It would keep players in the hunt for longer. You could argue that a 23yo is still a 'kid'; alternatively he could be a Beetham type who reassesses his life and believes he has plenty to give the game.
    Insert Your Life [HERE]

It's been a pleasure working with you.

Regular in the Side
    It's been a pleasure working with you.
    Say goodnight, Gracie.
    Insert Your Life [HERE]

Hard to imagine that you could keep calling it the 'Rookie draft' if players are eligible for it that aren't, even on a generous interpretation of the word, rookies.

There might be some room to move with the 23/24 thing, but for the rest it's a moot point, as clubs will only pick up matoor players (i.e. 25 and over) if they're planning on playing 'em (or at least having them available to play without having to give someone else a long-term injury first).