Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre-season formula

On the Rookie List LittleSchneider's Avatar

Pre-season formula

I knew they collected data on individual players throughout the last 3 years. What I didnt realise is that they have a specific 'formula' that they feel gives a player a 75% chance at having an injury free year - and Mission and Gibbs feels that its fairly accurate as well.
    Interesting read.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0...-23769,00.html
    And the man who started it, the Schneiderman, can kick his third for the quarter. And the swans are in the Grand Final!

Regular in the Side
    Why is that story under the basketball section?
    Life's not a spectator sport

On the Rookie List LittleSchneider's Avatar
    Good point Mel - I have no idea why.
    And the man who started it, the Schneiderman, can kick his third for the quarter. And the swans are in the Grand Final!

On the Rookie List
    another one of Roos' "revolutionary strategy" maybe.

On the Rookie List Ryan Bomford's Avatar
    Originally posted by LittleSchneider
    Good point Mel - I have no idea why.
    Maybe because that don't have a section titled: Aerial Ping Pong

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Seems the "good luck" the Victorians were complaining we had with injuries had more to do with Paul Roos, Dave Misson etal than dame fortune.
    What excellent behind the scenes work. Outstanding!
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Originally posted by Ruckman
    Seems the "good luck" the Victorians were complaining we had with injuries had more to do with Paul Roos, Dave Misson etal than dame fortune.
    Calling NMWBloods!

If there is a 25% chance of each of our top 22 players getting injured, then there is a 100% chance that at least 5 of them will be injured at some stage during the year.and a 50% chance that 11 will be injured..

If somebody said that in an average year half of the top team was likely to be injured at some stage during the season would we be happy? Because this is effectively what they have said. I wonder what the average over time has been. I suspect the point is that this rate is less than what has happened in the past. .

Those numbers also say the there was a 50% chance of 2 players going down in the finals, and a 100% chance of 1 going down. So Nick was right ? we were lucky, but good management certainly did not hurt.
    Pay peanuts get monkeys

Veterans List
    Originally posted by Old Royboy
    If there is a 25% chance of each of our top 22 players getting injured, then there is a 100% chance that at least 5 of them will be injured at some stage during the year.and a 50% chance that 11 will be injured..

If somebody said that in an average year half of the top team was likely to be injured at some stage during the season would we be happy? Because this is effectively what they have said. I wonder what the average over time has been. I suspect the point is that this rate is less than what has happened in the past. .

Those numbers also say the there was a 50% chance of 2 players going down in the finals, and a 100% chance of 1 going down. So Nick was right ? we were lucky, but good management certainly did not hurt.
    There was no mention of the type or seriousness of the injuries that might actually cause a player to miss a game. I get your logic but I think you may be extrapolating the %'s a tad over the top.

I love seeing this stuff, because it shows how far advanced we are in all things 'game". I wonder if there is a mad scramble today by other clubs to jump on the bandwagon.

Roosey and his boys are real trend setters.

Gives me great confidence for 2006.

I also suspect that by having a system like this it has the affect of focusing players in a completely different and refreshing way/approach to training and fitness, that translates into desire to succeed.

Who said Roosey wasn't the Messiah.

Regular in the Side
    Originally posted by Old Royboy

It's been a while since high school maths, but I don't think that's the way percentages and probabilities work. There was never a 100% chance that five of our top players would be injured come GF time. Can anybody who is/was good at maths help me out?
    Life's not a spectator sport

Originally posted by Ruckman
    I think that is an outstanding piece of planning and it's good to see the club being so forward thinking. It certainly seems to be a factor in reducing the number of injuries, probably mainly soft-tissue ones.

However, other injuries, such as broken bones, knee damage, etc, that can occur on match day are mainly all about luck.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Thank goodness you're here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast