Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shake Down the Thunder - Book

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    I had already bought the book previously to so I gave the one I won away to another Swans supporter who appreciated it.

That's not how I remember it Wardy. I seem to recollect that you turned it in to a bazaar and traded your copy of the book for a rug. Perhaps JS or ORB can confirm which one of us has the failing memory

theres a lack of decent footy books though, and a lack of good footy documentries on dvd. I would like to see a dvd on the swans club history.
    Theres not much left to say

Quote Originally Posted by AussieAnge View Post
    That's not how I remember it Wardy. I seem to recollect that you turned it in to a bazaar and traded your copy of the book for a rug. Perhaps JS or ORB can confirm which one of us has the failing memory
    Not just a bazaar, a Moroccan Bazaar. It was Mrs ORB who gave her book away: her treasured book on the Red and White is called "Never Before, Never Again" WW3 in our house if the Swans and Dragons clash on the tele.
    Pay peanuts get monkeys

Re the book itself, I was a bit disappointed. I thought all those individual contributions made the whole thing disjointed and a little impersonal. I would have much preferred Jim to have blended them into a smooth narrative, with his own personal feelings of the trials, tribulations and final triumph the ?Main? background.
    Pay peanuts get monkeys

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swansrule100 View Post
    theres a lack of decent footy books though, and a lack of good footy documentries on dvd. I would like to see a dvd on the swans club history.
    If you want a good book with history of AFL and the swans, get the Bloodbath, by Ian Shaw.

http://www.amazon.com/Bloodbath-1945.../dp/1920769978

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I really enjoyed it. It was good to get the word from the horses mouth. The worst thing was I kept tearing up on the bus to and from work everyday as it bought back all those memories of the day.

That was a great day!
    Last edited by Lucky Knickers; 15th June 2007 at 11:01 AM.

I bought It last year almost as soon as it was released. I thought it was a great read and a fitting tribute to where the club came from to get to the holy grail(ie. the premiership).

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    If you want a good book with history of AFL and the swans, get the Bloodbath, by Ian Shaw.

http://www.amazon.com/Bloodbath-1945.../dp/1920769978
    yeh i got that one its a good read.
    Theres not much left to say

Warming the Bench
    I came across the book 'Flying North for the Winter - the story of the Sydney Swans' one day in the Uni library. Took it home to show my kids photos and stories of the early days. Looking at a photo of people on the hill at the SCG in the 'olden days', and lo and behold, there's myself, boyfriend (now hubby) and two friends, all sitting there! Certainly proved that we were there from the beginning!

Veterans List
    A RWOer wears a RUG!!!!

I traded the mens tie for the rug - not the book - I gave the book to ihamilto.
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by Bindo View Post
    I came across the book 'Flying North for the Winter - the story of the Sydney Swans' one day in the Uni library. Took it home to show my kids photos and stories of the early days. Looking at a photo of people on the hill at the SCG in the 'olden days', and lo and behold, there's myself, boyfriend (now hubby) and two friends, all sitting there! Certainly proved that we were there from the beginning!
    I have some photo's of the first game up here against Carlton - back in those days - anyone could walk onto the ground before the game - and I recall people some went out onto the ground to listen to the quarter time talk - the banner's have certainly come along way - but the thing that stirkes me most was that even back in '82 - demolishion work had started - to builid the Messenger, O'Reilly. Walters & Yabbas. I will see if I can scan them and put them up here.
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12