Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Western Bulldogs

The Bulldogs will be a good test for us, because they sit just above us on the ladder. I wouldn't underestimate them at all. It will be a very tough match.
    Re Matthews. If they find a role for him, he'll be playing otherwise why bringing him im. The only player I can think of that he could replace is Willo.

The restaurant at the end of the universe
    If we can come up with another 4 quarter effort as seen against Richmond, we should get the win. It promises to be a cracker of a game though.
    We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

Regular in the Side
    Originally posted by cruiser
    Matthews may not be able to find a place in the team.
    i think this is true. mathews's one real strength is being in position to receive the ball from the back of packs and that was done superbly by all against the tigers. i think he'll be back in for the majority of this season on the strength of his seniority, experience and general reliability (i believe some will disagree here) but he may find he'll be fighting for his spot for the remainder of his career.
    then again, i think it would be worth trying 15-16 players on field so what would i know

why dont our player mark with knees bent?

the rules allow player to pack mark with one knee bent
    , pushing (knocking) the front opposition marker further to the front. (the bent leg appearing like a chair, looking sideways)
    other teams appear to use this technique on us quite regularly without infrigement but swan player appear to shy away from this technique? any knows the reason? we are not trained on this technique? the umpire has two set of rules? when we do it, it is a foul but when other team does it on us, it is ok?
    the same goes for "sitting"on the opposition player (a player climb onto opposition' back or shoulder to take a mark. We dont seem to do this but other teams do this to us often. why? we are not capable of this? we are afraid of injury?
    These techniques can make the difference if the game is balanced, also help to galvanise/boost momentum.
    Since they are allowed, we SHOULD use these great tecniques
    (& use them often)

I also noticed in the round 7 (swan & richmond game), smart tapping by a player to another player tecniuqe is used to our advantage eg Hall tapping to willo. this was used more than once. this technique is so simple yet so effective. should be used more. It is not necesary to gather the ball up all the time when you have opposition coming at you.

Similar technique can be used when two players are runing to the ball near the boundary. the player reaching there first can tap the ball along the boundary or inwards & run towards it & gather the ball instead of picking up the ball with the opposition player coming at you. that is smarter play, isn't it? we dont seem to use this technique. though this has been observed in other teams. simple yet effective.

These techniques can make the difference next time when the opposition have a fit experienced team, more menacing than the greatly depleted richmond team yesterday.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Originally posted by NMWBloods
    That would be shame. Watching yesterday's game I thought he did quite well in the forward pocket - I was wondering whether he would make a good permanent FP.
    I think he would - and we need someone crumbing all game.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    Gee I remember getting taught those skills at primary school back in the 50's.

Nothing new, but now with the need to get the ball out quickly and move it on to avoid the dreaded "ball", the tap on techiniques are back in vogue.

Modern players right from Auskick are taught the skills of picking the ball to get first possession thing handballing off etc. rather than tapping to a team mate or tapping out in front to get the bounce.

Our game is full of a myriad of skills and ideas, they tend to pluck some of these to suit the times.

I remember as an Auskick coach 10 years ago we had something like 60 different skills and techniques we taught the kids.

On the Rookie List
    port adelaide gave dogs so much room and were not accountable sydney are known for there ability to lock down the opposition as adelaide did to the bulldogs in adelaide and won by 77 points i expect a simular result for us an 8-15 goal win
    BACK2BACK

Re: Western Bulldogs

Originally posted by midaro
    Can we possibly match that pace?
    Didn't you see the game yesterday, Wallace said we were the quickest best skilled team they had played all year.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    It's going to be a great game...and i'm bloody gonna miss it!

Life's just not fair sometimes..
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

ROLLLLLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!! Glenn's Avatar
    A couple of things worry me about the dogs game;

1)Mentally how are Sydney going to come down from the record win over Richmond and focus on the Western Bulldogs

2)How will the game of Sydney suit the smaller confines of the SCG, the Swans have been at there best in the past few weeks on the larger grounds.
    Premiers 09,18,33,05

"You Irish Twit", Quote attributed to a RWO member who shall remain nameless.

The restaurant at the end of the universe
    Originally posted by Glenn
    How will the game of Sydney suit the smaller confines of the SCG, the Swans have been at there best in the past few weeks on the larger grounds.
    This is also an issue for the Dogs as they wont have the space that Port allowed them.
    We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

On the Rookie List
    Originally posted by Glenn
    How will the game of Sydney suit the smaller confines of the SCG, the Swans have been at there best in the past few weeks on the larger grounds.
    I would be chuffed if the Swans abandoned the SCG. Let's put this into extreme perspective, Port Adelaide have a better recent record that the Swans at the SCG.

Port Adelaide haven't won a game at AAMI this year!

I know we can play well at the SCG, however we just play BETTER on the big grounds more consistently. Fossie, ROK and Mal have a better chance at a greater impact on the bigger grounds.
    The Pain of Discipline is Nothing Like The Pain of Disappointment

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast