Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bulldogs to 'axe' SCG home games

Originally posted by garethb83
    Easy, the Bulldogs 'sell' the game to the Swans, thats how they get their money. The portion of our membership dollars for that game go to the Doggies, not to the Swans in this instance. In return for doing it, our team gets another game in Sydney.

Thats how i took it to be anyway.
    Exactly right! THe Bulldogs chose this approach in contrast to the Roos who tried to just muscle in.

I woud expect next year's membership to be 11/12ths of this year plus whatever annual increase is added on (which could devour most, or all, of the decrease)

Veteran Site Admin
    Originally posted by j s

I woud expect next year's membership to be 11/12ths of this year plus whatever annual increase is added on (which could devour most, or all, of the decrease)
    I'd be inclined to "watch this space".

The Dogs have been talking about removing this game for a while now but it never seems to quite happen. It all depends on where their finances are at the moment, but they are surely going to get more money from a guaranteed crowd of 30,000 (and quite probably more this year given where the two teams are) than from a 12,000 crowd at Manuka or Carrara or Marrara or wherever else they chose to play.

I also think the AFL will strongly persuade them to leave it where it is given that they wouldn't be keen to reduce exposure to AFL in Sydney by removing one match a year.

I think you would find that Footscray are given a fixed amount for the game, as also applied to Melbourne at the Gabba. If 30,000 do happen to turn up any difference between the take and the guarantee would go to the Swans.

Footscray will still need to sell home games, but Rocket has indicated that the club's football department will push heavily for a neutral venue such as Darwin rather than hand another team such as Sydney home ground advantage on a plate.

On Fox the other night Eade said that losing the SCG game last year could well have cost them a place in the finals.
    Pay peanuts get monkeys

Yarraville, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Originally posted by Old Royboy
    [BFootscray will still need to sell home games, but Rocket has indicated that the club's football department will push heavily for a neutral venue such as Darwin rather than hand another team such as Sydney home ground advantage on a plate. [/B]

If so I SO THERE. I have never been to the NT & would LOVE to see Arnhem Land & some of the cool spots in the Top End.

All I'd need is for the Swans to play in Tassie and I'd have another excuse to see another part of this beautiful country.

JF
    "Never ever ever state that Sydney is gone.They are like cockroaches in the aftermath of a nuclear war"
    (Forum poster 'Change', Big Footy 04Apr09)

Bandwagon Driver australian_made's Avatar
    Originally posted by JF_Bay22_SCG
    If so I SO THERE. I have never been to the NT & would LOVE to see Arnhem Land & some of the cool spots in the Top End.

All I'd need is for the Swans to play in Tassie and I'd have another excuse to see another part of this beautiful country.

JF
    See you at the airport mate. im getting bored of all this flying to Melbourne anyway (though im not looking forward to Perth and Adelaide being so close together this year)
    If the siren sounds in Tasmania, and the umpires don't hear it, does it make a sound?

Originally posted by Old Royboy
    I think you would find that Footscray are given a fixed amount for the game, as also applied to Melbourne at the Gabba. If 30,000 do happen to turn up any difference between the take and the guarantee would go to the Swans.

Footscray will still need to sell home games, but Rocket has indicated that the club's football department will push heavily for a neutral venue such as Darwin rather than hand another team such as Sydney home ground advantage on a plate.

On Fox the other night Eade said that losing the SCG game last year could well have cost them a place in the finals.
    Unfortunately for Rocket, football departments don't pay the bills.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

On the Rookie List
    Originally posted by hammo
    The Dogs get a guaranteed $250,000 for the game.

Not entirely sure where the money comes from though.

The Swans (from membership $$) and SCG are possibles.
    Pretty sure it comes from the swans

Originally posted by JF_Bay22_SCG

JF
    The trouble is that it doesn't make sense for the bulldogs to play us there. They would rather play us in melbourne where we have more supporters, so the crowd is bigger.

That's why teams like Port, Freo etc always get farmed out to "away" home games in Darwin, Tassie etc... The theory is that they wouldn't get many supporters to melbourne anyway, so there's not much loss playing them in Tassie for example.

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

Originally posted by desredandwhite
    The trouble is that it doesn't make sense for the bulldogs to play us there. They would rather play us in melbourne where we have more supporters, so the crowd is bigger.

That's why teams like Port, Freo etc always get farmed out to "away" home games in Darwin, Tassie etc... The theory is that they wouldn't get many supporters to melbourne anyway, so there's not much loss playing them in Tassie for example.
    I agree entirely. A Swans-Dogs match could get well over 35000 at the Dome.

I'm only just looking from things from a highly subjective point of view. I often use the footy as an excuse to have a mini holiday & to get to explore places I have never been to. Been to WA (ZZZZZZ), been to SA, been to Vic, been to Qld. Want somewhere new to explore.

JF
    "Never ever ever state that Sydney is gone.They are like cockroaches in the aftermath of a nuclear war"

Originally posted by hammo
    Unfortunately for Rocket, football departments don't pay the bills.
    And who is to say that we wouldn't have beaten them at the Ringa Ding Dome in any case.

We generally play pretty well there.

JF

It is clear that when the doggies were in bit of a slide any chance to get some cash was a good thing. Now their team list is better, they need more room for the Western Bulldogs Bandwagon.
    I will be a member again when I return.

AFL announced their commitment to develop the game in western Sydney so the Doggies might start playing at TS or any decent ground around Canterbury if they don't like SCG. I've got a strangest feeling that they will stay in Sydney for the time being.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast