Thread: Ground Upgrade for Nth Dalton Park

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ground Upgrade for Nth Dalton Park

Press Release

Half million dollar upgrade for North Dalton Park.

NSW Sport & Recreation - Regional sports facility program funding of $200,000 to NDP

The board is happy to announce that an application from this funding source for the installation of lights and irrigation at North Dalton Park has been successful. These matching funds will be used with funds the board has been accumulating from the Wollongong City Council North Dalton Park capital reserve, allowing for these projects, budgeted at $480,000 to be commenced shortly.

?The North Dalton Park board is very pleased for the announced funding. This is a project that the board and its partners have been working on for many years & we believe it will be of great benefit to the City of Wollongong.
    This facility was established with the goal of being a regional sports centre of a standard capable of attracting elite level sport to the city, and providing a venue of that standard for use by the local community. We have always believed that Wollongong, with is size and enthusiasm for sport, should have a facility the equivalent for example to that at Newcastle No.1 Sports Ground. Such a facility would afford us the opportunity of bringing elite AFL & cricket matches to this region, just as that facility has been able to provide to the Newcastle community?.

?The introduction of the lights, along with a much needed irrigation system, will help with the management of the use of the playing surface, allowing for a better transition of the surface from football season to cricket season?.

?We anticipate we will see the utilisation of these facilities initially with both AFL Seniors & Juniors taking up the opportunity to play some night games & also with the potential for the ICA to schedule a night Twenty20 competition?.

?The value of this facility to the local sporting community can be seen with the promotion last year of the IMB Wollongong Lions into the premier AFL competition in the state. This facility was a critical component required by the AFL, for consideration of such a promotion. This has enabled players from the region, from Under 18, through to seniors, the opportunity to compete at this elite level, where previously they would have had to relocate to Sydney to do that. The Lions are able therefore to provide the appropriate pathway for the many young talented AFL players coming through the local association ranks, and the opportunity to showcase their abilities for potential AFL draft selection?.

?The addition of match standard lighting and the better management of the turf growth & repair that the irrigation system will provide, will go a long way to the facility reaching its ultimate goal for this city?.

Gary O'Dea
    Secretary, NDPRSC Board of Management.
    June 18, 2006.
    For immediate release.

NDPRSC refers to North Dalton Park Regional Sports Centre and comprises members from the Wollongong Australian Football Club (Lions), Illawarra Cricket Association (ICA) and Wollongong City Council. The AFL (NSW/ACT) provided funds for the project along with State and Local Government. The regional sports facility funding was announced at a function at yesterday's Wollongong v Campbelltown game. Those of you from the Illawarra or Southern Sydney can read more on page 3 of today's Illawarra Mercury or watch tonights WIN News.

Pity council in the Shire doesnt do the same for Olds Park.
    That ground is seriously dangerous and I know Pennant Hills are looking for alternative option for there match scheduled in a few weeks.

How can you play on a dust bowl with a cricket pitch in the middle?

Only a matter of time before some one is hurt?
    Who is liable in such a case- the club or the council???

While i agree that Olds isnt in the best nick Ash, i cant see how its any different to what ive seen at Ern Holmes for the last 17 years.

On the Rookie List
    Originally posted by ash
    That ground is seriously dangerous and I know Pennant Hills are looking for alternative option for there match scheduled in a few weeks.

Ash Council is ultimately responsible for the ground as they own it and it is hired by the Club
    Carn' The Crows

Senior Player
    Originally posted by ash

There are worse grounds being utilised than Olds ash(broken L2 vertebrae in 98 on exposed sprinkler). Unfortnately there are a lot councils with their heads up there arses .

Originally posted by ash

I agree mate, it was certainly in ordinary condition and in my opinion very dangerous when we played there earlier in the season. It is only a matter of time before someone gets a serious injury playing there.

Unfortunately the Crows don't get much of a say and their players are on it each week!

I do not envy the person signing the ground risk assessment form each week!
    Last edited by KangaCoach; 21st June 2006 at 12:05 AM.
    On The Trail

Commentary Team Captain BeeEmmAre's Avatar
    Originally posted by tara
    There are worse grounds being utilised than Olds ash.
    Gwawley Park.

Need I say more?

Unfortnately there are a lot councils with their heads up there arses
    Couldn't agree more.
    "It's up to the rest of the players in the room to make a new batch of premiership players next year," Adam Goodes, triple Bob Skilton Medallist, October 7, 2011.

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!

Originally posted by BeeEmmAre
    Gwawley Park.
    I played there last Saturday. What an absolute peice of crap ground. I can't believe it has goten WORSE since last year. There is a half foot drop in the centre circle, massive changes in level at the half forward lines (not just the cricket pitches), It's an absolute disgrace, I can't see how a council would think that is a satisfactory surface for people to walk on let alone play sport.

Senior Player
    Originally posted by adnar
    I played there last Saturday. What an absolute peice of crap ground. I can't believe it has goten WORSE since last year. There is a half foot drop in the centre circle, massive changes in level at the half forward lines (not just the cricket pitches), It's an absolute disgrace, I can't see how a council would think that is a satisfactory surface for people to walk on let alone play sport.
    The boys at Cronulla a spewing as well. Apparently the council have junior, touch footy etc etc all being played on the ground. No wonder there isnt a blade of grass left on it these day. Im just waiting to see what state Greygums is in before I make an informed opionion to the worst ground in Sydney. Hopefully its improved 'cause I dont want anymore broken bones.

On the Rookie List
    The boys at Cronulla a spewing as well. Apparently the council have junior, touch footy etc etc all being played on the ground. No wonder there isnt a blade of grass left on it these day. Im just waiting to see what state Greygums is in before I make an informed opionion to the worst ground in Sydney. Hopefully its improved 'cause I dont want anymore broken bones.
    Tara the juniors are not playing at Gawley they have been kicked off by the council (they dont want to get sued by someones parent) and are playing at a local high school, so the question remains how do they still allow senior footy on this ground.
    Carn' The Crows

Senior Player
    RPM I guess thats a more recent development becuase the boys were spewing in the first round we played them. I guess they have no other options given the lack of suitable grounds in the area. Its a shame the council doesnt spend the money and expand the ground that the juniors use at Sutherland behind the pool. There's enough land up there to do it and it would allow them greater access to better facilites than their present location.