Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: goodbye to a champion

He was no Maxfield but whatever.

On the Rookie List BigBadBarryNo1's Avatar
    Let's congratulate him on a fantastic career, SO FAR.. as we still have 1/2 a full season left.

I did question trading him for Dan Motlop and Adam McPhee for a short time, but the nuggetty Tasmanian has been absolute gold since coming to us.

His calm, quiet, hardworking personality suited our team attitude, and his professional work ethic, along with the Maxfield, Cressa and the champions over time, have really done wonders for us in keeping us steady and focussed when needed.

He has truly done us proud on and off the field for his calm, quiet and solid professional approach. He deserves to be in the Team of Century for the Tassie boys.

A solid and consistent contributor, probably dropped off just very slightly this season but that's probably more of a team issue, and a little bit of the wear and tear in age.

I will always remember him for a few things:
    * his silky speed and run, and skills and fantastic long kicking, even getting to the end of his career...
    * a few years ago when we got kicked out by the Lions in the prelim, and he just kept on kicking on...
    * when he did play injured (although carried very well) in the Finals last year and scored the first 2 goals against the Saints...

When the Pies were down on form for a couple of years they did say "he is just the person we need right now"..

During the Footy Show, I remember someone saying "I hope that Davis and Willo have a cracker and win the premiership.. just to piss Eddie off"

We will all miss our favourite no.10 on the field when you are gone, but all good things come to an end.

Certainly his "replacements" in the boys coming up, in Malceski, Dempster, Vogels and the like have a lot to live up to.

Well done mate, and lets hope the boys send you off on a big game this week, and with another premiership medal to boot.
    Last edited by BigBadBarryNo1; 21st June 2006 at 12:33 PM.
    Fan since 95'. Member since 02'. Big Bad Bustling Barry No1 Swans Mad Fan in a St George Mad Town. Right Colours, Right Code

*takes hat off to Willo*

I never thought I'd love a former Pies player as much as I love Willo (give Nicky D time) - thanks for the memories and here's hoping there's many more in the rest of your playing career.

Good luck with the future (after September)

Swans and AFL websites have it up.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=new...ticleid=275234

A champion. I hope he goes out the same way as Ball. He deserves nothing less.
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren

On the Rookie List
    Aaaand, it's official.

link.

Originally posted by Sanecow
    He was no Maxfield but whatever.
    How can you compare Maxfield and Williams?
    Maxfield had 1 or 2 good years and was a player that was carried along, while Williams is a true champion of the game who has been acknowledged with many personal achievements. Don't insult a legend. Cheer cheer for Willo.

Originally posted by madswan
    How can you compare Maxfield and Williams?
    Maxfield had 1 or 2 good years and was a player that was carried along, while Williams is a true champion of the game who has been acknowledged with many personal achievements. Don't insult a legend. Cheer cheer for Willo.
    Maxfield: Captain 2003- 2005
    Williams: Captain of his Herald Sun Dream Team 2006.

Originally posted by gossipcom
    *takes hat off to Willo*

I never thought I'd love a former Pies player as much as I love Willo (give Nicky D time) - thanks for the memories and here's hoping there's many more in the rest of your playing career.

Good luck with the future (after September)

"Ahem ... Andrew Schauble " she says over an expresso in a cafe somewhere in Europe gazing longingly into the limpid pools that are Andrew's eyes.
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

Originally posted by satchmopugdog
    "Ahem ... Andrew Schauble " she says over an expresso in a cafe somewhere in Europe gazing longingly into the limpid pools that are Andrew's eyes.
    In Europe again? Is Tasmania that bad in winter?
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren

*slaps forehead* as to not mentioning AS - Okay I take it back never thought I'd love three ex-Pies players

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast