Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Balmain Dockers????

Regular in the Side

The Balmain Dockers????

I hear Balmain are ditching their 100+ year heritage as the tigers and will be the Dockers next year as they link with Fremantle. Also, Wests are soon to announce their affiliation with Collingwood - all of this is a part of the compulsary affiliation all Sydney Premier League teams require.

Can anyone give me an insight into what this affiliation offers the Sydney teams other than new jumpers???? Oscar, Shearer or KangaCoach might be able to enlighten us all on what benefits their respective teams have gained out of their association with an AFL club.

I know that Penno were sending quality young players to Sandringham(I think) to do preseason and possible selection. This seems positive, but has it extended to more than the original 2 players???

This may well be a subject that team officials would prefer not to touch as the response may not be all rosey. Anyway, I would be keen to know what opinions that are out there.

Yep, the launch of the Balmain Dockers was at a dinner at the end of last month with some Freo officials and Steve Malaxos.

I can't comment on the financial part of it but they will be providing jerseys, balls equipment etc and I think will work with the coaches on an ongoing basis. The NSW aprentice they have signed will also be playing for Balmain and there will be the opportunity for 2 young guys to go and 2 pre-season in WA (maybe with Freo, but I think it was possibly with South Freo)

Coastal Boy, i think you will find that Campbelltown do not have any connection with the "North Melbourne Kangaroos" anymore. Which would leave them as one of the only sides without an affiliation to an afl team. Look for them to go back to the Carlton strip that was worn in the 80's and 90's

Senior Player
    I think we'll see Wests turning out in their new strip this weekend.

Disappointing in a way to see their pretty unique strip going the way of so many others.

Originally posted by Roo
    Coastal Boy, i think you will find that Campbelltown do not have any connection with the "North Melbourne Kangaroos" anymore. Which would leave them as one of the only sides without an affiliation to an afl team. Look for them to go back to the Carlton strip that was worn in the 80's and 90's
    I can't imagine North would have too much cash to kick in to Cambeltown.. The Tigers wern't anything to do with Balmain either.

Woodsy agree.

Having played for a certain club then to support them wearing a completely different jersey and so called afl affiliation does our sydney game no favours.

If you were to go to a Uni Easts old boys as opposed to East Sydney I think the numbers would speak for themselves.

Have you noticed our crowds the past few years?

Yes, some clubs may find it hard for cash.
    It seems the easiest option to gain funds.
    As we know, clubs at this level are run no different to a kids U11 side which probably has more parental support.

Does the league administer the books/ running of each club???

Originally posted by Woodsy
    Just my personal opinion but I don't think the Sydney clubs do themselves any favours at all selling off their strip and name to an AFL club.

Call me old-fashioned but to me Balmain represents the Balmain community and to throw away over 100 years of history and tradition to rename themselves on an underachieving johnny-come-lately AFL team just makes no sense and cheapens the jersey and all that have worn it before.

I can see the merit where there is no change in club colours (e.g. North Shore and We$ts) and where the tie up is logical (Easts) and can even see the merit where there is no real history (ECE) but in the case of Balmain I find it quite sad.

Know the dollar is hard to find these days but surely times aren't that tough - on the other side I wonder how many people have been turned off by the whole episode. To me it all smacks of "branding" and "franchising" - surely the AFL clubs could get their benefits without requiring the Sydney clubs to give up their coulours and team mascots.

On the Rookie List

Question

I have just got out of the factory after working a long shift...

Ash... you mentioned playing for a club who then changed their jumper???

Im confused... Penno has not changed their jumper!!!

Talking to a few of the Penno boys at the recent SCG Rep Game they are of firm belief you are not associated with Penno and are in fact masquerading as a supporter of their club.

What you say Ash?

The Penno boys who read this forum suggested you could list some of the Acts which were performed at the recent Penno Revue night?

Which club do you really support Great Ash?

Yarraville, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Thumbs down

Just my personal opinion but I don't think the Sydney clubs do themselves any favours at all selling off their strip and name to an AFL club.

Call me old-fashioned but to me Balmain represents the Balmain community and to throw away over 100 years of history and tradition to rename themselves on an underachieving johnny-come-lately AFL team just makes no sense and cheapens the jersey and all that have worn it before.

I can see the merit where there is no change in club colours (e.g. North Shore and We$ts) and where the tie up is logical (Easts) and can even see the merit where there is no real history (ECE) but in the case of Balmain I find it quite sad.

Know the dollar is hard to find these days but surely times aren't that tough - on the other side I wonder how many people have been turned off by the whole episode. To me it all smacks of "branding" and "franchising" - surely the AFL clubs could get their benefits without requiring the Sydney clubs to give up their coulours and team mascots.
    I completely agree. I like to go and watch SFL matches, but to see clubs like St George suddenly change from Saints to Crows & Baulkham even chage bird types from Falcons to Eagles, it rapes the club's of their history & tradition. Everyone associates the area of Balmain with the Tigers because of the Rugby League side. So what advantage is there is suddenly having them in purple & calling them Dockers?!

I mean Collingwood have an association with Williamstown in the VFL. Their haven;t changed the Seagulls colours from blue & gold to black and white. They are still Williamstown, the feeder club to Collingwood. Likewise my NSW RL Premier League side the Newtown Jets are not called the Newtown Roosters because they switched their affiliation from Cronulla to Easts. They are Newtown, the oldest club in rugby league & have managed to keep ALL of their proud Bluebag traditions whilst providing a place for Roosters players to regain form & fitness.

I find myself alienated from the local SFL clubs because of their affiliations with AFL Clubs. I have no club allegiance for this very reason. Furthermore I am a Sydneysider & a Swan & want Sydney people and its clubs to naturally identify with us, Sydney. I find it annoying to go to a USW-Easts game to see their officials say they hope that the Western Bulldogs beat us. Likewise ECE when we play West Coast, likewise St George etc etc.

Taking the Dockers' money and having them invest in NSW footy is more than welcome. But why can't Balmain remain Tigers?

This seems to be a typical AFL thing. The AFL have destroyed the tradition & history of clubs in Tasmania & even the VFL. I mean Coburg are not Tigers. They are Lions. Hobart are the Tigers not Lions! Why does Bendigo have to be the Bombers when many people in the bush tend to support Geelong?

My good, Demitriou & his evil cronies even tried to re-name the SANFL "AFLSA"!!!! Their craziness nows no bounds at the moment!

JF
    "Never ever ever state that Sydney is gone.They are like cockroaches in the aftermath of a nuclear war"
    (Forum poster 'Change', Big Footy 04Apr09)

When times get tough the old Easts die-hards will rightfully say "it is not my club anymore, we sold out to UNSW".

Unfortunately, you can count the 'old Easts die-hards' that have any sort of involvement with the club (including as a spectator) on one hand. And it was the same pre-merger.

As an aside, I wonder if the tie up allows Balmain to pay off their extensive player debts.
    From what I understand this is pretty much done.

I'm a reader these days of this Forum rather than a regular contributor, but am happy to respond to this thread because there is merit in the discussion ...

Woodsy, we were the pioneers of the concept in Sydney with the announcement being made at a press conference within, would you believe, the Regent Hotel in late 1999. TV and press in Perth carried the story. Our lateral thinking began in 1998 when the then hierarchy of the Sydney AFL decided that they wanted all teams in the SFL to have (nick) names that were common to at least one of the 16 AFL Clubs.

Baulkham Hills, playing as the Falcons, did not meet the criteria and we were also advised at the same time that our home ground of Charles McLaughlin Reserve was too small. This latter requirement was promulgated before the Village Green and Bankstown Oval were seconded by the same administration as SFL Premier League grounds!! (In hindsight however, leaving Charlie Mac increased the pressure to secure a future home ground. This has now been achieved at Kellyville with the signing off in the last fortnight of all plans for construction.)

Cheekily, we started with a clean sheet of paper in order to determine which AFL Club would be best for us and significantly, which AFL Club would see the benefit of having strong recruiting links on the ground in Sydney. Remember that today?s scholarship schemes had not been thought of at that point, or if they had, they were just a twinkling in someone?s eye. With a deep breath, we decided that West Coast was the Club we wanted to be aligned with.

Richard Colless then became a significant ally in establishing the link with the Perth based club considering that he had been a former West Coast Chairman. We approached Richard with our ideas and business plan and six weeks later he rang to say that Trevor Nisbett, CEO at WCE was expecting a call from us.

Because the Falcons had only been in senior football (in 1998) for five years, the extraordinary General Meeting that was called, unanimously approved the concept and the name change. Particularly when we factored in the requirement that the East Coast Eagles would form a separate club and the Baulkham Hills Falcons Junior Club would remain totally unaltered, thus retaining their heritage and tradition. A very key point, which was integral to the whole decision and process.

Clearly West Coast has been a club with a strong reputation with forward thinking and a sound business operation that makes profits each and every year for their shareholders. Back in 1999, Trevor saw merit in forming an alignment because his Board of Directors concluded that NSW, and Sydney in particular, must surely have the potential for elite youngsters to be uncovered. Not just for West Coast, but footy in general. The well established national draft precludes any Club from gaining an advantage and Trevor knew that he couldn?t beat the system, but his Club could contribute to the national cause by helping football in Sydney.

Plus it helped if the Eagle brand could be showcased on both sides of the continent, thus improving the chances of swelling West Coast memberships and allowing all their eastern seaboard based sponsors an outlet to watch the game in Sydney. At no stage has the relationship been predicated on on-field success. It has always been about promoting the brand, sponsorship opportunities and the general well being of footy in Sydney.

Woodsy has asked some specific questions about support. Naturally I will not reveal all, but suffice to say WCE are a delight to deal with. And I?m proud to say that they think the same of us.

1. Every West Coast player wears a brand new jumper each match. It is sold virtually the moment the player takes it off their back. The Club store sells thousands of jumpers a year so I guess another three sets or so for East Coast hardly disturbs the accountants.
    2. West Coast has a dedicated person who is our liaison contact for everything. David Elliott is their General Manager Membership & Merchandise and he is outstanding in his service to us.
    3. The entire WCE coaching staff, including John Worsfold, are available to the ECE coaching team should they need to analyse or seek an opinion on any matter.
    4. The ECE fitness / training programs are set after consultation with the appropriate people in Perth.
    5. Two ECE players are sent each December to do pre season training with the WCE squad.
    6. Exchange visits are available for our volunteer staff to spend time with their fully employed WCE counterpart.
    7. Given sufficient notice, Trevor Nisbett and David Elliott attend every major ECE corporate event to mix with and interact with players, supporters and sponsors. This benefit is impossible to put a price on.
    8. Schools and junior clubs in our zone don?t miss out either with annual visits by injured WCE players for 4 or 5 days at a time during which they spend valuable time with junior players. And at the same time they promote the brand.

Since January 2006, ECE have had a full time Development Manager in Wally Gallio. His duties involve managing East Coast of course and providing development work within our zone, but with the introduction of the Sydney Scholarship Program Wally is vitally involved in identifying potential recruits for both Clubs. As I have often publicly said, our job is to find ?the next Chris Judd? although Trevor will tell you that is impossible because there never will be another Chris Judd!!

West Coast exert no operational influence over ECE in any manner whatsoever. We have locally built a great team of off-field supporters and sponsors who have worked diligently to get us to where we are today. Should anything go ?pear-shaped? for ECE in any one year, which is certainly possible I suppose, then

? If it was on the field, West Coast would provide the support, advice and encouragement required to rectify it.
    ? If it was off the field, West Coast would provide the support, advice and encouragement required to rectify it.

East Coast Eagles AFL Football Club Inc is a registered trading name and is owned by our Club.

The relationship is very successful for us and it hasn?t come easily or quickly. We would have liked to have been where we currently sit on the ladder before this year, but things take time. It is not about the dollars in any way. It is about providing a pathway for junior kids to play football with the help of a national known and respected Club fully behind them.

Every player and supporter at the Club is a died in the wool East Coast Eagles person. However 95% of them grew up supporting another AFL Club and we don?t take that right away from them. But be assured that all have the utmost respect for the West Coast Eagles.

There is so much more we can do inside the alignment that we haven?t even thought of yet.

Just right at this moment however we are concentrating on the end of the season and the task of playing finals football ?..

Peter Physick
    Last edited by Oscar; 2nd August 2006 at 02:49 PM.
    www.eastcoasteagles.com.au

Woodsy, lets just say the peanut was tired after a long hard shift whose reading capabilites may have been distorted due to fatigue.

Originally posted by peanut
    I have just got out of the factory after working a long shift...

Ash... you mentioned playing for a club who then changed their jumper???

Im confused... Penno has not changed their jumper!!!

Talking to a few of the Penno boys at the recent SCG Rep Game they are of firm belief you are not associated with Penno and are in fact masquerading as a supporter of their club.

What you say Ash?

The Penno boys who read this forum suggested you could list some of the Acts which were performed at the recent Penno Revue night?

Which club do you really support Great Ash?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast