Thread: Round18 ponderings - Swans Gearing up for Flag Challenge!

Warming the Bench FredFlintstone's Avatar

Round18 ponderings - Swans Gearing up for Flag Challenge!

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=new...ticleid=286970

Caution the other teams in the contention for the final 8 have now been warned we are on our to way to challenge for back to back Flags!!!

Yabba Dabba Dooooo Swannies!!!

WOW!!! After reading that, i feel slightly more confident about us making it our 2nd Premiership. WOOT!!! Go the Bloods! =]]

Originally posted by is2SWaNz
    WOW!!! After reading that, i feel slightly more confident about us making it our 2nd Premiership. WOOT!!! Go the Bloods! =]]
    Ahem. Fifth.

Also, it's a nice little piece to read, but you also have to remember what an effort it was last year in the first place!!! So remember... "past results are not a guarantee of future performance"..... We're well placed. Let's leave it at that eh?

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

Pretty much what all of the commentators are now saying. I think we have come out from under the radar.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

It's unfortunate that we've come out from the radar (if we have), because our form line is that we've broken a horror streak where we won just 1 from 5, with 3 wins in a row against 3 quite ordinary sides who are no chance of featuring in finals action.

We will only deserve any of the 'gearing up to go back-to-back' hype if we win this week.

PS Paul Gough's claim that St Kilda "appear to be the only vulnerable team inside the top eight with four rounds remaining" is a howler. The only thing more hilarious is some people claiming, seemingly with a straight face, that Freo are a chance to go top 4. Geez, people have short memories. Come about R18/19 last year, commentators were saying that Fremantle had sewed up a spot in the top 8. A horrible tendency to fall off the pace when it really counts, an inferior percentage to Geelong and games against Adelaide, West Coast and St Kilda? Check all of the above. Geelong have a tough run and so will do very well to get 3 wins out of the last 4, but if they do, they'll make it.

The most frustrating thing for me is that without our ordinary start to the season we would have just about wrapped up a top 4 spot by now and may have been in contention for the top 2.

West Coast had exactly the same off season as us and are top 2 which will give them an enormous advantage in the finals.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Veteran Site Admin
    Originally posted by hammo

West Coast had exactly the same off season as us and are top 2 which will give them an enormous advantage in the finals.
    Wet Toast have won about 4 games by less than a goal. We've lost 3 by less than a goal. It isn't entirely bad luck that we lost those games (nor than WT won their close ones) but it shows how tight things can be.

The main difference, however, between our form and the Toasters is that they've beaten the yardstick twice, once by a huge margin, while we were made to look decidedly second rate.

The Fourth Captain Schneiderman's Avatar
    Originally posted by liz
    The main difference, however, between our form and the Toasters is that they've beaten the yardstick twice, once by a huge margin, while we were made to look decidedly second rate.
    And yet came tantilisingly close to pipping WC at their own ground. Cant read much into all that just yet.
    Our Greatest Moment:

Saturday, 24th Sept, 2005 - 5:13pm

Regular in the Side PerthSwannie's Avatar
    Originally posted by Schneiderman
    And yet came tantilisingly close to pipping WC at their own ground. Cant read much into all that just yet.
    Being in Wet Toast land, the media over here are building the bastards up big time. They are looking hungry and mean. The Swannies have to switch on big time from now on. We can not afford to lose ONE match. WC have got a @@@@ easy run home, so have the Crows. We also have an easy run IMO, so no losses are acceptable.
    Even Santa follows the Swannies.