Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should we forget home finals and move on?

From a purely personal sense, I like finals in Melbourne... I get to go. BUT, I want the benefit of the team to come first... while we may not be disadvantaged by coming to Melbourne... the opposition WOULD probably be disadvantaged by going to Sydney... So I want the home final.
    We hate Anthony Rocca
    We hate Shannon Grant too
    We hate scumbag Gaspar
    But Leo WE LOVE YOU!

NWMBloods

Love the Colonel Klink Avatar

Thanks - just decided to put it on today for some reason!!

I'd be happy in we won a final. I'd be even more happy if we could win a final outside Sydney - we haven't done that in nearly 60 years!!
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

On the Rookie List
    Originally posted by NMWBloods
    I'd be happy in we won a final. I'd be even more happy if we could win a final outside Sydney - we haven't done that in nearly 60 years!!
    Dont worry NMW, this is the year of the hoodoo breaker, winning a final in melbourne or else where will a breeze!
    No.1 ticket holder of Nick Davis Fan Club...

It's certainly been that way so far - hope it continues!!
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

You interstate blow ins compalining about home finals blah blah blah. You joined 'our' competition blah blah blah. Melbourne is the home of finals blah blah blah

Wayne Jackson blah blah blah, Andrew Demetriou blah blah blah. MCG home of finals blah blah blah. Interstate clubs get so many advantages blah blah blah, AFL love child blah blah blah. Ryan Lonie is the classiest young player in Australia blah blah blah.

Collingwood wil win its next 15 games blah blah blah.

Banned indefinitely by Moderators for posting totally inappropriate material
    what is wrong with it is that footy goes beyond Melbourne as a culture. Everyone in Sydney should have access to a ticket on a first come firt serve basis (with priority for Swans members), other wise Football will never be the trueley Australian Game. It will remain a melbourne football competition that transplanted it's culture interstate.
    This is about nothing less than the long term life and death of football.
    Get real about it melbourne crack heads

Living in 2005
    Originally posted by NMWBloods
    I'm actually Sydney based!

What's silly about it is that the AFL can "bank" finals so in some years they don't have to have one at the MCG every week. It will be interesting to see what happens in a really contentious situation (eg: WCE v. Freo).
    They can only bank finals in the first two week. A preliminary has to be played at the MCG every year. So if the final four is Sydney, Bris, Freo and WCE for instance, we would get played down there. (Mind you, us and Bris are the best two interstate clubs to play in Melbourne if the issue raises it head)

On the Rookie List
    The main thing that everybody needs to remember is that whoever is higher than the other team gets the home final. If Sydney is higher, than we play in Sydney. If Sydney is lower, than we play at the opposition's home ground, be it Melbourne or Adelaide, etc. Members of course get priority for tickets to every final (and I mean all members, Sydney, Melbourne, everywhere else) and the grand final should be the only match that is always at the MCG. The problem is the contract that the MCC has which will ensure that this doesn't happen.

Originally posted by Damien
    They can only bank finals in the first two week. A preliminary has to be played at the MCG every year. So if the final four is Sydney, Bris, Freo and WCE for instance, we would get played down there. (Mind you, us and Bris are the best two interstate clubs to play in Melbourne if the issue raises it head)
    Yeah. But I just read today that the AFL won't bank any finals this year.

Apparently they can only BANK a final without penalty if they play more than the 4 minimum required games the previous year. Last year they didn't play more than 4...so they have none up their sleeve. Thus if they bank one THIS year...they must play a minimum of FIVE finals at the MCG in 2004.

The AFL won't do this because it will only make the problem that much worse if the interstaters are "up" again next year.

Bloody mess.
    Time to march for the Red and White

Originally posted by barry
    Because if we fix it now, and next year we finish 2nd, we are guaranteed home finals. And the year after that, and the year after that, etc, etc for the next 50 years.

We shouldnt sell out our principals for dubious short term gain of not giving the opposition a lift.
    oh ok

Originally posted by footyhead
    God Australians can be a bunch of perochial and self centerd fools.
    The reason that we need to fix this problem now is because it is not fair and hampers the development of the national leauge because of this fact.
    Grow up
    So, the GF will be shifted away from the MCG soon?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast