Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should we forget home finals and move on?

Should we forget home finals and move on?

My two cents: Let's not get too worked up about them.

We're likely to play away, so the sooner we embrace the idea, the sooner we will become a force. We saw Port Adelaide shooting themselves in the head last year getting all worked up over this issue - pretty much for nothing. The GOT their home final, but then the fans revolted about the price of the tickets (another off-field issue) and before a pissweak crowd, Collingwood scored an upset. Port later bombed from the race.

Alternatively, Malthouse had ended the Adelaide hoodoo months earlier by talking up how much he and the boys "enjoyed" playing at Football park.

We should learn from this.

If Melbourne clubs sense we fear travelling down there, they've already won much of the battle.

What do people think?
    Time to march for the Red and White

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    We could finish top and then have nothing to worry about

I think we've played well in Melbourne (except for the Hawks game) this season and there is good support for the team in Melbourne so I don't think we are greatly disadvantaged by it. If it happens, it happens and we should just deal with it.

It would be good for us Sydney based fans to have a home final, but in the end the GF is gonna be at the MCG and thats the one to win. So a game or two down there before the big one would'nt really harm the cause
    Go the BLOODS!

The rule has to be changed. Now!

I am quite prepared to give the opposition a bit of amunition this year as we re-work the rule, because once its fixed we will enjoy the benefits for decades afterwards.

Originally posted by barry
    The rule has to be changed. Now!

I am quite prepared to give the opposition a bit of amunition this year as we re-work the rule, because once its fixed we will enjoy the benefits for decades afterwards.
    Why?

Originally posted by scurrilous
    Why?
    Because if we fix it now, and next year we finish 2nd, we are guaranteed home finals. And the year after that, and the year after that, etc, etc for the next 50 years.

We shouldnt sell out our principals for dubious short term gain of not giving the opposition a lift.

Banned indefinitely by Moderators for posting totally inappropriate material
    God Australians can be a bunch of perochial and self centerd fools.
    The reason that we need to fix this problem now is because it is not fair and hampers the development of the national leauge because of this fact.
    Grow up

I don't think it's a big deal. All the interstate premiers are jumping on the band wagon because the interstate teams are doing well, yet half of them know nothing about football. If you can't win a flag by winning a couple of games at the MCG then you don't deserve to win a flag!! In what way is travelling to the MCG a huge problem for Sydney teams? It's hardly much of a trip and the support we will get there would be pretty good.
    Last edited by NMWBloods; 17th June 2003 at 07:34 PM.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Originally posted by NMWBloods
    I don't think it's a big deal. All the interstate premiers are jumping on the band wagon because the interstate teams are doing well, yet half of them no nothing about football. If you can't win a flag by winning a couple of games at the MCG then you don't deserve to win a flag!! In what way is travelling to the MCG a huge problem for Sydney teams? It's hardly much of a trip and the support we will get there would be pretty good.
    Spot on!
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

a couple of Melbourne-based supporters views there...

but seriously it will probably work to our advantage where playing another interstater (likely this year) as a Melbourne game for us against (say) a WCE or Brisbane is a partial home game with all of our support in Melb and less travel than them...

overall a very unjust rule though and i could never support it with a clear conscience so i am totally against it

NB: you have to be in the GF to win it and the best way to do that is to WIN the week before. playing at home gives us the best chance to do this. i would so hate to play a "home" Prelim final against Feralwood at the MCG and lose due to their home ground advantage!
    "As a player he simply should not have been able to do the things he did. Leo was a 185cm, 88kg full-back and played on some of the biggest, fastest and best full-forwards of all time, and constantly beat them." Roos.
    Leo Barry? you star! We'll miss ya, ''Leapin''.

a couple of Melbourne-based supporters views there...
    I'm actually Sydney based!

overall a very unjust rule though and i could never support it with a clear conscience so i am totally against it
    What's silly about it is that the AFL can "bank" finals so in some years they don't have to have one at the MCG every week. It will be interesting to see what happens in a really contentious situation (eg: WCE v. Freo).
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

I"ll be happy if we play in a few finals....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast