Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Sydney v West Coast???

Originally posted by Mr Q
    Mind you, your record in finals away from home (neutral GF excluded) in the same period is LLLLWLLW, not hugely better - and at least we never lost any home finals in that period.
    This has to be one of the funniest/strangest posts I have read for a while! How can you exclude a Premiership winning GF? After all that's the only thing that really matters isn't it?
    Does God believe in Atheists?

On the Rookie List
    Originally posted by i'm-uninformed2
    Neutral GF excluded?!?! . . . Errr, it did matter a bit.
    I'm not saying it didn't - believe me, I'm not (took me five minutes to look up from my seat at the final siren). I just excluded it because you weren't playing a team who was playing at home. I'd have included it if you'd been playing a Victorian team. Anyway, it was more like your home game than ours - you certainly had the majority of the support for all our efforts.

Of course, I'd rather have excluded it because it was a neutral game and you lost, but hey, that's life. You can't win them all.
    Blue and Gold 'til I die

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Mind you, your record in finals away from home (neutral GF excluded) in the same period is LLLLWLLW, not hugely better - and at least we never lost any home finals in that period.
    That's an arbitrary choice designed for no other reason than to make the statistics look worse. You included a Grand Final we lost, but somehow came up with an excuse to exclude a Grand Final we won.

Sorry, you can't have it both ways. Especially when you did not contest my decision to include that final in my stats on the Eagles.

With all finals away from Sydney included, the stats are 3 wins 6 losses, for a 33% strike rate. Not bad. Two of those wins were against sides that went into the game as short-priced favouries. In one of those games (Port in 2003) the Swans to win were paying 7-1, we had three injured on the bench during the game yet we still won.

As you point out, we have also lost two of seven finals at home. Both losses were to the side that went on to win the premiership - Adelaide in 1998 and Brisbane in 2003.

Overall, the Swans' statistics since 1994 are 16 finals, for 8 wins, 8 losses and 1 premiership. If 1994 is included, the Eagles stats are probably similar.

You also mentioned the finals that the Eagles lost because they were making up the numbers in September, but chose not to mention the Swans losing finals for the same reason. Without a doubt, there's been a few final series where premierships that should have gone to the Swans and Eagles have instead gone to unworthy sides supported by armies of fans with questionable body hygiene. I'm sure both our sides will be taking some measure of premiership revenge in the next few years.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

On the Rookie List

bring all your stats you want the only one you need to know is:
    24 September 2005
    SYDNEY: 3.0 6.3 6.5 8.10 (58)
    WEST COAST: 2.4 2.7 5.9 7.12 (54)

GOALS - Sydney: Hall 2, Buchanan, Goodes, Jolly, Kennelly, O'Loughlin, Schneider
    West Coast: Hunter 2, Cousins, Cox, Embley, Hansen, Nicoski
    BEST - Sydney: Fosdike, Goodes, Barry, Hall, Roberts-Thomson, Kirk, Crouch, Buchanan
    West Coast: Judd, Cox, Wirrpunda, Cousins, Hunter, Green
    UMPIRES - Allen, Goldspink, McLaren
    CROWD - 91,898 at the MCG
    BACK2BACK

On the Rookie List
    Originally posted by Thunder Shaker
    That's an arbitrary choice designed for no other reason than to make the statistics look worse. You included a Grand Final we lost, but somehow came up with an excuse to exclude a Grand Final we won.

Sorry, you can't have it both ways. Especially when you did not contest my decision to include that final in my stats on the Eagles.
    OK, ignore it for our stats as well - it makes ours better .

The only reason for discounting it as an "away" final, is that that implies there is a team that's at home - which in that game is not true, unlike your 1996 GF appearance, where the Roos were clearly the home team (think they were even based at the MCG back then). If we were going back further, I'd include our 1991 GF loss (and the 92 and 94 wins) in a similar count. If either team could have been counted as the "home" team at last year's GF, it would have been you based upon the vast majority of the support that was with you (and had you been playing anyone else, I'd have probably been cheering the Swans on as well, so I'm not holding grudges about that).

With all finals away from Sydney included, the stats are 3 wins 6 losses, for a 33% strike rate. Not bad. Two of those wins were against sides that went into the game as short-priced favouries. In one of those games (Port in 2003) the Swans to win were paying 7-1, we had three injured on the bench during the game yet we still won.
    Not arguing your away finals wins have been bad at all. Not at all. Hell, beating Port is a noble thing we should all aspire to. I remember that game you beat Port in, and it was a more than impressive victory.

I'm not even indicating that your record is as bad as ours in away finals - it's clearly not - but I'm pointing out that a bad away record in finals is nothing out of the ordinary - IIRC, only the Crows have a good travel record in finals.

As you point out, we have also lost two of seven finals at home. Both losses were to the side that went on to win the premiership - Adelaide in 1998 and Brisbane in 2003.

Overall, the Swans' statistics since 1994 are 16 finals, for 8 wins, 8 losses and 1 premiership. If 1994 is included, the Eagles stats are probably similar.
    Actually, its probably better than ours - remember, we didn't play one home final from week one of 1996 until week one of 2005, but we played a lot of finals. I'll check though.... we're 7-11, but only five out of those 18 were in Perth (where we went 5-0).

You also mentioned the finals that the Eagles lost because they were making up the numbers in September, but chose not to mention the Swans losing finals for the same reason. Without a doubt, there's been a few final series where premierships that should have gone to the Swans and Eagles have instead gone to unworthy sides supported by armies of fans with questionable body hygiene. I'm sure both our sides will be taking some measure of premiership revenge in the next few years.
    I have no doubt about it (although when you lost at home you would have done so to teams ranked lower than you for that week). We certainly weren't making up the numbers in 1996, but the hoohaw about the WC v Essenscum semi final at the MCG (should have been at Subiaco) threw us, and we were thrashed (and damn we were happy when Lockett kicked that point the next week). Other than that, from 1994 until last year, we were space fillers in the finals, and we were never going to win a final in 97, 98, 02, 03 or 04. Still reckon we'd have beaten Carlton at Subi in 1999 other than the damn MCG rule. Still, that loss probably kept the Essenscum from winning a premiership, so there's a silver lining.

I'm sure there were years when your presence was token, and thus your record is worse than it might be had you not participated. Not arguing that at all. Only making some pointers since you stated we hadn't won an away final since 1994 (which isn't true), so that same argument is true for us as well.
    Last edited by Mr Q; 18th August 2006 at 03:56 PM.
    Blue and Gold 'til I die

Mr Q havnt you got a site to moderate,insted of busting our chops.Scotty and Boss Frog get to work and ban this bloke,earn ya keep.
    Now this is a thread that i would expect on the ego -centric, wank session that is redandwhiteonline.com...
    MAD
    Pushin Limits

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by swantastic
    Mr Q havnt you got a site to moderate,insted of busting our chops.Scotty and Boss Frog get to work and ban this bloke,earn ya keep.
    For what, being an Eagles Supporter?

Originally posted by ScottH
    For what, being an Eagles Supporter?
    Yep thats why i was banned from Little Footy/Eagles site.
    Now this is a thread that i would expect on the ego -centric, wank session that is redandwhiteonline.com...
    MAD
    Pushin Limits

Originally posted by swantastic
    Yep thats why i was banned from Little Footy/Eagles site.
    I don't think so!! There would be more to it than that.
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

Originally posted by satchmopugdog
    I don't think so!! There would be more to it than that.
    They were getting stuck into the swans i was just defending them,they just couldnt take it.
    MAD
    Pushin Limits

Regular in the Side PerthSwannie's Avatar
    Just found this interesting thread on the Wet Toast site Link

I`m still shakin my head!!!!
    Even Santa follows the Swannies.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345