Thread: Blacktown?

aka Mr Taxman

Blacktown?

Saw the press with Andy & Morris during the week.

Glad to see that it is going ahead for Western Sydney footy fans (both current & future).

I suppose that the plan is still there to have a side fom Blacktown playing in the Sydney AFL within the next 5 years.

As a very interested fan I would like to know what the plans are ... would prefer that an open forum be done with this & give everyone a chance to have their 2 cents worth.

None of his cloak & dagger stuff.

Are existing clubs in the region positioning themselves for relocation or is a new stand-alone club being formed? If so, who are the brains behind the new club?

What money is the AFL putting towards the establishment of such a club?

In fact, is there a budget that can be made public on these issues?
    See me run a marathon again as a leprechaun?
    Donations

As a resident of Blacktown,i'll go on record as saying i'll eat my hat the day any team plays out of Blacktown.There's no-one to guide the ship,a Premier Div team would take players out of existing 1st Div clubs out here,its a pipedream at best.At least i'll have somewhere flash to have a kick now.....

Warming the Bench
    Rafters, my understanding is that the League have no current plans for a Premier Division side in the greater west. Sydney Uni are pushing strongly for a spot for 2007 and in fact did so last year unsuccessfully as well, and I think they also want to get the Swans reserves back involved if possible in the medium term.

This issue has been spoken about quite a bit in recent years, as Pekay would know, and certainly there have been a number of plans and ideas that have played out with limited success. Whichever form it takes, and it is inevitable at some stage as the population and demographics can't be denied forever, it will be a tough road to hoe.

Certainly from a Penrith point of view, we have spent far too much time over the past five years trying to work towards the bigger picture issues such as this, and what has become abundantly clear is that we have to get back to simply worrying about ourselves and the day to day, as it is obvious that no one else will! Putting three teams on the paddock each week and being consistently competitive in Div One is hard enough at present.

Certainly we have an empathy with the SWS's, Parramatta's and Nor West's of this world, while the Uni's line up in both grades grand finals yet again. This is not their fault, good luck to them, but if the League can't see a pattern here then either they are pretty clueless or they don't really care which is unfortunate.

The Jets will be concentrating wholly n solely on re-admission to Div 1 and securing our clubs future.Any thought of another merger-new entity in regards to Blacktown cannot be considered(yet)as the Greater West venture i what killed us in the 1st place. If the AFL wants to do it,all power to em,but i can see alot of toes stepped on in the process.