Thread: Sydney AFC

Sydney AFC

According to the records The Sydney Football club was formed in 1904 one year after the formation of the SFL and were premiers in 1960 . Anybody know anything about this club .
    What happened to them ?
    What colours etc ?
    give it to the game

Almost Football Legend
    I've had a quick look through my records. The team that won the premiership in 1960 (also in 1962 and 1944) was Sydney Naval - a team set up by Navy forces based in Sydney during WW2 and which continued till 1971. Although it seems early on they only appeared intermittently - they won the premiership in their first season in 1944 but didn't compete again till 1948. Then after another spell they returned for one season in 1950 and continuously from 1955-1971.
    I've got no idea what their colours were, but presumably they would have been Navy colours.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

I'm quoting from a well known website .
    It seems a bit funny to me .
    I was in Sydney during the last years of Newtown AFC and at a final talked to an old digger . He was saying how there were other clubs like South Sydney , how they got 15k to a grand final , but I've never heard reference to a "Sydney" team .

give it to the game

Regular in the Side
    The president of the BDAFL(Central Coast and Newc) is Ian Granland who is one person who has compiled/is compiling a history of the SFL. He told me he has stacks of old newspapers going back decades. Maybe try to tingle him on their website?? He would know if anyone does. www.bdafl.com.au

There's a bit about Sydney Naval here

Sydney Naval Football Club
    Does God believe in Atheists?

My old neighbour who passed away several years Jack played for Sydney Naval as they were once called.

Yes, back on the day it was not uncommon to see crowds of 10000 to a league match, the largest crowds followed East Sydney at Trumper Park that had the large old grandstand and turnstiles down the white city end.

Naval were always finals contenders as they obviously had a good pool of players.
    Umlike today, the league was much stronger in comparative terms as many more Victorians etc moved to the big smoke during and after war periods and players such as MarK Maclure were drafted from this league.