Thread: The Coaching Merry-go-round

The Coaching Merry-go-round

So far we have Thompson and Pagan under the hammer, with The Reverend to follow if the Dees lose this weekend. Any number of candidates - Ratten, Longmire, Cresswell McKenna etc. News just through that Cressa has quit Brisbane. Plots thickening and not likely to be resolved for some time due to some possible candidates still involved with finals. At least the Melbourne media will have something to talk about with no finals there after next week.
    Pay peanuts get monkeys

thompson should go definitely, and he probably will. but i reckon daniher and pagan should stay

If the rumours are true, then Geelong are in a state of chaos. I wouldn't be surprised if Thompson is gone before 2007. Geelong were the biggest underachievers this season and it might've been his last chance to prove he's a worthy coach for them.

Carlton are also in the crapper. No surprises they're in financial strife, they can't manage their salary cap. Pagan is overpaid and hasn't brought success to the club (except for a preseason cup - who cares...). He's coached them to 3 wooden spoons and 15th in the past 5 years. Pagan has got to go...
    I only support one team: The SYDNEY SWANS!!!!!

Blog Entries
    The 9 news reckons Pagan will stay, but still no news.

As for Bomber, he will be lucky to survive, IMO.

Cressa to Geelong

Mitchell to take over Carlton

Daniher safe for another year

Sheedy safe for now
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Originally posted by nomae
    thompson should go definitely, and he probably will. but i reckon daniher and pagan should stay
    I'd go with that... not that I care so much with this bad case of BringItOnItis FinalsFeverarrhoea.

Senior Player
    Originally posted by 573v30

Carlton are also in the crapper. No surprises they're in financial strife, they can't manage their salary cap. Pagan is overpaid and hasn't brought success to the club (except for a preseason cup - who cares...). He's coached them to 3 wooden spoons and 15th in the past 5 years. Pagan has got to go...
    Carlton are in financial strife because the AFL back doored them over Princess Park and Docklands stadium. Dont know if you guys have noticed yet but the AFL is interested in lining their own pockets first and foremost and care very little about the general punter. I accept fans of other sides see Carltons fall from grace as Karma for being arogant etc etc but when the AFL wants to investigate sides then they should do so in animpartial not vindictive manor. Essendon rorted the Cap just as much if not more but have gotten off scott free.

Yes Pagan is overpaid and overrated but he has only achieved two spoons.

Originally posted by tara
    My bad. Oh well, if he stays then I might be right after all...
    I only support one team: The SYDNEY SWANS!!!!!

The restaurant at the end of the universe
    Carlton are in financial strife because the AFL back doored them over Princess Park and Docklands stadium. Dont know if you guys have noticed yet but the AFL is interested in lining their own pockets first and foremost and care very little about the general punter. I accept fans of other sides see Carltons fall from grace as Karma for being arogant etc etc but when the AFL wants to investigate sides then they should do so in animpartial not vindictive manor. Essendon rorted the Cap just as much if not more but have gotten off scott free.

Firstly, a get out of gaol free card was offered by the AFL to all clubs to come clean on payments over the salary cap.Essendon wisely decided to show its cards, Carlton in their arrogance decided to keep it in house and were found out.

Docklands was muted for a long time, and Carlton arrogantly spent a bucketload of cash regardless for a white elephant.

Secondly, with the financial support that the AFL is now directing to Carlton, I cannot see how the Carlton board could get away with paying out Pagan for the last 2 years of his contract.
    We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

Senior Player
    Elroy there is still cap rorts going on and you are having a lend of yourself is you think otherwise.

Docklands was originally going to be a rectangular stadium built without the AFL in mind. PP was redeveloped with the AFLs and local govt support at the time with a 45000 seat capacity and underground car park in mind. The AFL had given assurances then backed out when it was too late for Carlton to do anything. Elliot was and is an arrogant fool but even he wouldnt have gone ahead with that redevelopment if assurances as to the grounds long term future wernt assured.

I agree with you last point wholehearted but unfortunately the AFL has made it clear Carlton can make their own decision without outside interference here. Rumour has it former Carlton player Fraser (no I wont talk to the AFL) Brown will finance Pagans payout out of his own pocket. Brown has made alot of money from property development is apparently is one of a number of wealthy supporters who is happy to dig deep so long as a few conditions are met ie get rid of Denis the menance.

Pesonally I never wanted Pagan as a coach but after the last few years of crap can see the club turning the corner feel that if he is ousted the next coach may reaps the benefits from his heartache.

Rumour has it former Carlton player Fraser (no I wont talk to the AFL) Brown will finance Pagans payout out of his own pocket. Brown has made alot of money from property development is apparently is one of a number of wealthy supporters who is happy to dig deep so long as a few conditions are met ie get rid of Denis the menance.
    Geez, he can sling me a few bucks in that case.
    He'd be a fool to pay him out of his own pocket.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

The restaurant at the end of the universe
    Elroy there is still cap rorts going on and you are having a lend of yourself is you think otherwise.
    I never suggested that there were not ongoing issues with the salary cap, and I have no evidence that there are... , however I was simply clearing up that Carlton had the opportunity to minimise some of its current pain and failed to take that path.

I'm not a Carlton fan by any means, but I hope that they persist with Pagan and I hope they turn their affairs around sooner rather than later because the AFL will be all the better for it.

And when they are better I hope we can still beat them by 92 points.
    We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.