Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bye-bye to the bye as Sydney Uni go up

Camden are playing in the grand final of the south coast comp this weekend. They play Bomaderry who beat them by a few goals a few weeks ago. It should be a good game of footy, i have been told the teams have met 3 times this year and bomaderry hold a 2-1 advantage although camden were minor premiers.

It could be worth a drive for Wollongong and C'town to have a look at a few boys for next year.

Hmmm interesting.

Well, I look forward to (again) promising to go to more Jets games next year.

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

It looks like Sydney Uni will continue to have a team in First Division by promoting players from 2nd Division and they anticipate not all players will want to player Premier Division.

Firstly, I don't understand why you would not want to play in a higher division on the basis that you'll be playing against higher skilled and fitter teams from which playing against will only increase your own skills.

Second of all, being a Second division player, and despite the fact that the Sydney Uni Blues dominate the grade, Its obvious they won't be as strong as their current First Division team. Which leaves me to ask, is the SAFL prepared to lower the competitiveness of other divisions in order to fill a gap in Premier division and weaken that also?

Also, am I misjudginging the skill/fitness gap between First and Second division to being smaller than what I think it is?

WIth these developments, in 2nd division, it appears 2 of the top 4 teams will be leaving the comp, opening it up for UTS, UNSW Penno, Balmain and St Claire.

Senior Player
    Originally posted by Steiger
    It looks like Sydney Uni will continue to have a team in First Division by promoting players from 2nd Division and they anticipate not all players will want to player Premier Division.
    Congrats to SU if true, pitty NSW Uni havnt yet stepped up to the plate.

Originally posted by Steiger
    being a Second division player, and despite the fact that the Sydney Uni Blues dominate the grade
    Which 2nd Division finals series were you watching ? Or are you talking about the Blues being the dominant team from Syd Uni ?

I mean that the Blues are the dominant syd uni team. They did better last season than this season.

If they're going to get 'promoted' to First Division because the first division teams get promoted to Premier, then they are going to get hammered unless I'm wrong about the skill gap between first and second division.

If St Clair merge with Penrith, which will be good for both senior clubs then there will still be a west sydney team in 2nd Div. If they dont then 2nd Div has gone from 13 teams to 10, with 5 teams being competitive.

Going by the ladder, Bulldogs, UTS, Penno, Balmain, Whalies are the top 5 teams next season.
    Last edited by Steiger; 11th September 2006 at 09:31 PM.

Balmain are not certainties to field a 2nd division team

Has there been another player exodus like the 05 season?

The Dockers jersey isn't that scary!

On the Rookie List

Sydney Uni's Longevity

They wont last in the top grade, particularly with the abolition of the student union fees.

Sydney Uni didnt last in the top grade in the fifties, the sixties, the eighties or the nineties so they won't last in this little episode.

They do well in the second division/first division/next division down or whatever the name will be changed to. My advice is to stay there and enjoy the success. Its just a matter of time before you will be back, pushed or otherwise.

The ehtos at SUni is for a game of footy, a few drinks and jag a wellington boot on a Saturday Night after the game. This training three nights a week and for what? The glory of Sydney football which will never come their way.

A bad move league officials.

Regular in the Side
    I read in the release that SU are financial despite the abolition of compulsary student union fees. Can someone explain to me how????

Senior Player
    Originally posted by Woodsy

IMO the only way that Sydney Uni could survive long term in the SFL let alone prosper is for them to become a hybrid club via their ever-growing link-up with the Newtown junior club. Were they tp get a stream of Under-18s via that plus the regular intake of students, especially the country students then it could work.
    Can't see that happening in a hurry. Newtown fielded U13's for the first time this year (they did not win a game all year), and their U12's won 2 games for the whole year. They are struggling to hold good players as they head to High Schools, a common issue throughout the Inner City.

Senior Player
    Originally posted by Woodsy
    Maybe a little weak at the moment but surely there must be enough interest to generate a junior club from the Newtown/Redfern area. Suppose that Glebe would impinge somewhat.
    Since their inception, around 1999 I think they've had good numbers <12 yo but have struggled to get enough momentum up to hold kids >13 for the reasons I mentioned earlier. They're in the heart of Souths Juniors territoy as well which has an impact. That might change but you are looking 5 years down the track for that to happen.

Glebe have 25 or so more of history to draw on but even they haven't been able to field U16's in the last few years (I think they had a combined 15's with Easts this year).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12