Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barassi: It's not good for football

Barassi: It's not good for football

Ron Barassi is whinging about Victorian teams not making the grade at finals time. He wants an inquiry into why this is happening and how it can be fixed.

The simple answer IMO is that there are too many clubs based in Victoria, until that is addressed I believe this pattern will continue.

Interesting to see that of the past players interviewed, the only one to remind people that it is a national competition is Bob Skilton, but then after last year, I'm really not surprised.

Does God believe in Atheists?

Veteran Site Admin
    Barassi's comments aren't too bad - he's just asking for the reasons to be sought as to why the interstate teams are doing so well. Surely there would be a call for a similar study if none of the non-Victorian teams was having success.

The one that "got" to me was the comment from Davis.

Davis said fans deserved to see at least one game at the MCG every week during the finals
    Hey Bob - how about the fans who actually follow the participating clubs deserving to see their teams play in finals footy?

Originally posted by liz
    the interstate teams
    Liz!!! I would have thought that you of all people would refrain from using this archaic description of non-Victorian clubs. What the hell does 'interstate' mean in a national comp? Interstate to what? Interstate to parachial Victiorians who still think that the AFL is their comp. Well, it aint. Its a national comp that belongs to all of us and to refer to any team as 'interstate' is redundant. It really is time for Victorians to stop using this description.
    Last edited by cruiser; 17th September 2006 at 08:48 PM.
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren

Re: Barassi: It's not good for football

Originally posted by goswannie14
    What a sook,get over it and get used to it.Remember SMFC no hand outs for us,just booted off to another state.We had to deal with it.
    Now this is a thread that i would expect on the ego -centric, wank session that is redandwhiteonline.com...
    MAD
    Pushin Limits

Re: Re: Barassi: It's not good for football

Originally posted by swantastic
    SMFC just booted off to another state.We had to deal with it.
    Some better than others, hey swantastic?
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.

Re: Re: Re: Barassi: It's not good for football

Originally posted by cruiser
    Some better than others, hey swantastic?
    Do i have to go on yep,Carlton ,Roos,Melbourne,Tigers just to name a few"Different strokes for different folks" Bloody @@@@es me off these bloody winging victorian supporters about the non vic teams having more money,all right if they want more so called money relocate your teams idiots.
    Now this is a thread that i would expect on the ego -centric, wank session that is redandwhiteonline.com...
    MAD
    Pushin Limits

Re: Re: Re: Re: Barassi: It's not good for football

Originally posted by swantastic
    Do i have to go on yep,Carlton ,Roos,Melbourne,Tigers just to name a few"Different strokes for different folks" Bloody @@@@es me off these bloody winging victorian supporters about the non vic teams having more money,all right if they want more so called money relocate your teams idiots.
    I think cruiser more than likely means that you haven't quite got used to the idea that the swans are now sydney. You see, Cruiser is one of those "interstate" fans that has a chip on their shoulder regarding Victorian football and how the AFL evolved from the VFL.

A good analogy of his thinking is to liken it to the pathetic us versus them mentalities that many West Aussies have towards the "Eastern Staters". I'm sure now you understand now given that analogy. Just makes you want to roll your eyes doesn't it.
    An instrument with only 9 notes! Surely it's easy to play? www.coastalscottish.com
    Enjoy the Coastals Experience!

I resent comments made by some ex-players saying that at least one final should be played at the MCG regardless who's playing. I'm saying, get over it. MCG is great venue, but this is a national competition and we should give every city to host finals according to the rules. My recommendation to them would be: watch TV.
    Last edited by Zlatorog; 17th September 2006 at 10:27 PM.

Originally posted by Zlatorog
    I resent comments made by some ex-players saying that it least one final should be played at the MCG regardless who's playing. I'm saying, get over it. MCG is great venue, but this is a national competition and we should give every city to host finals according to the rules. My recommendation to them would be: watch TV.
    couldn't agree more. but move the GF to a venue other than the MCG is ludicrous. One day it may happen but not until there is a venue that can hold as many if not more.
    An instrument with only 9 notes! Surely it's easy to play? www.coastalscottish.com
    Enjoy the Coastals Experience!

I resent comments made by some ex-players saying that it least one final should be played at the MCG regardless who's playing.
    It is - The Grand Final.
    "My theory is that the universe is made out of stupidity because it's more plentiful than hydrogen" - Frank Zappa

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Barassi: It's not good for football

Originally posted by Piobaireachd
    I think cruiser more than likely means that you haven't quite got used to the idea that the swans are now sydney. You see, Cruiser is one of those "interstate" fans that has a chip on their shoulder regarding Victorian football and how the AFL evolved from the VFL.

A good analogy of his thinking is to liken it to the pathetic us versus them mentalities that many West Aussies have towards the "Eastern Staters". I'm sure now you understand now given that analogy. Just makes you want to roll your eyes doesn't it.
    The AFL has evolved due to the contribution of all of the states involved. Your Vic-centric view of the AFL is narrow minded parochialism.
    Last edited by cruiser; 17th September 2006 at 10:26 PM.
    Occupational hazards:

I resent comments made by some ex-players saying that at least one final should be played at the MCG regardless who's playing. I'm saying, get over it. MCG is great venue, but this is a national competition and we should give every city to host finals according to the rules. My recommendation to them would be: watch TV.
    How many vics would go to a sydney v freo game?
    The AFL would lose money.
    I will be a member again when I return.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast