Thread: My final farewell to local footy

On the Rookie List
    Land of the Bloods where anything is possible

My final farewell to local footy

Hi all

After 8 years involvement in local footy, Saturday august 27th 2006 was my last day at the Penrith Football club and local football in general.
    Over the past 8 years, I have experienced both the highs and lows that a footy club can bring.

I started with the Penrith Football Club in 1998 and my first game being involved with was the historic win over Wollongong at Greygums Oval.

In 1999, I became Team Manager for Reserve Grade and played my first game of football against Parramatta in the last round. I kicked a goal.

In 2000, I took on dual responsibility of both First and Reserve Grade Team Managers. I played 7 games in the reserves that year. My second game was at Cronulla and I kicked another goal. First grade made the finals under the coaching of Michael Walker.

In 2001, I was First grade team manager and during that season I was asked to be a part of the support staff for the SFA team in Newcastle. The under 18s won the premiership that year beating Manly.

In 2002, I was Under 18 and First Grade team manager and had the privilege of being joint team manager with Alex McLaren when the 18s won back to back flags.

In 2003, I played for Penrith-St Clair and played all but 3 games culminating in the semi-final against UTS which turned out to be my final game as a player for the Penrith Football Club.

In 2004, I stepped back from the front line of team managing to become a timekeeper. I also became involved with David Gill in forming the Greater Western Power. We had our first game on the Barnardos Charity day and although we were beaten, we weren't disgraced. We later played St George and beat them by 3 points. The seeds had been sown.

In 2005, i became chairman of the Greater Western Power after David Gill had stepped aside. We came 5th in the qualifying competition and 8th overall. At the end of the year, our new chairman, Scott Duffus suggested that if we were to survive then we need to fall under the Penrith banner. The Power committee voted in favor of the move back to Penrith

In 2006, i was back in the Penrith den and of the 8 years that I have had at the club, I have enjoyed this one the most as it is my last year of involvement. The boys have come a long way since 05 and although we had lost some games this year, the endeavour has impressed me to no end.

As I write this email with mixed emotions, i know that i have got a lot of satisfaction being involved for a long time at this great footy club.
    I'd like to thank everyone involved with the club for being such good friends and great people and I will miss you all.

Thanks and Regards
    Benny_w

Warming the Bench
    Nice one Benny, good to see you kicked a few goals too mate!! Is there anything you haven't done

On the Rookie List
    Hopefully have a few beers and reflect tomorrow night
    (if i can get a ticket)

Ben

Sydney Footy loses another hard worker. From all of us at Nor-West Jets,good on ya Benny for all your hard work over the years hope you're not lost to footy completely.

On the Rookie List
    so you left yet or making comeback????????

On the Rookie List
    Thanks for all your wishes and hopefully I will see a game or two as a spectator and not involved.

Benny_w

On the Rookie List
    Coming to you LIVE from a Stand near you!
    Onya benny.

Your hard work and commitment to local footy will always be cherished by the people involved in local footy and by the people who worked with you mate.
    Well done Craig Bolton for getting the co- captaincy in 2008.

Your determination,your tenacity and your under-rated skill is why you have become my favourite player!

Was it difficult playing footy carrying the drum ?

On the Rookie List
    I didn't need the bloody drum. That was reserved for Bay 22 at the SCG.

Yarraville, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Benny played a pretty large part in getting me interested in local footy. He'd pick me up & get a group of us together to watch the match of the day at Henson Park, when otherwise I'd have stayed at home scratching my toenails of something.

He would be there trying to foster the game at a grass roots level, often against often insummountable odds (aka Greater Western Power).

He has moved on in life. As have several of us in the Sydney footy community of late. But this should not let us forget the efforts of people like Benny_W.

Becase it was people like him that tried to make a difference. Why, because they loved footy & seriously gave a @@@@.

JF
    "Never ever ever state that Sydney is gone.They are like cockroaches in the aftermath of a nuclear war"
    (Forum poster 'Change', Big Footy 04Apr09)