Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: That damn Premiership window (aka How does 2010 look?)

Originally posted by hammo
    But before long he'll be a 200 game player and with that maturity and experience I believe he'll be a far better KPP.
    Yes, I'm sure he'll be better than now, but that still doesn't mean he can fill the spot.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Originally posted by Chow-Chicker
    WARNING! WARNING!..........ALIENS APPROACHING!!

Take a look at the bottom 4 teams on this year's ladder and tell me what you see. Then tell me who played in the Grand Final's of 1999, 2000, 2001. Also, a team that only played in the GF 2 years ago finished 12th this year.

Fact is chappies, the AFL system is designed to give all clubs an equal opportunity at success. You will see teams fluctuating up and down the ladder in a short span of time. That's life in a manufactured system that feeds you and then strangles you when the turkey has been fattened up.
    I don't necessarily agree with your warning. Brisbane aside (and don't forget their injuries), the one thing the draft doesn't take into account is the wealth of interstate clubs and how that can be invested in facilities, staff and technology.

So far Sydney has bucked the system by being one club which has not "bottomed out". Our advantage has been gained by superior training and medical methods, identified talent via the rookie system (Kirk), trading away draft picks (e.g Jolly) and obviously coaching, tactics etc.

The problems at Carlton with good young players wanting out show that morale and a "winning culture" is probably as important commodity as early draft picks. Although it would always be nice to pick up a Judd, Rewoildt or Gibbs they do not maketh the team (as St Kilda has found out and as I suspect Hawthorn will realise in a few years).
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

I don't necessarily agree with your warning. Brisbane aside (and don't forget their injuries), the one thing the draft doesn't take into account is the wealth of interstate clubs and how that can be invested in facilities, staff and technology.

So far Sydney has bucked the system by being one club which has not "bottomed out". Our advantage has been gained by superior training and medical methods, identified talent via the rookie system (Kirk), trading away draft picks (e.g Jolly) and obviously coaching, tactics etc.

The problems at Carlton with good young players wanting out show that morale and a "winning culture" is probably as important commodity as early draft picks. Although it would always be nice to pick up a Judd, Rewoildt or Gibbs they do not maketh the team (as St Kilda has found out and as I suspect Hawthorn will realise in a few years).
    That's fine, you don't have to agree, it's just an opinion. Naturally clubs will have to harvest a winning culture to capatilise on their window of opportunity. The system provides them with the cattle, the club then needs to nurture them to give them quality produce. The club will have to be careful, however, that they don't want to try and remain in the finals every single season by hanging on the players they should trade away, and then avoid the temptation to gain "seasoned" players from other clubs in an attempt to prop the club up in the top 8. I believe say Sheedy's downfall is to maintain his "record" of finals appearances and his desperate measure in obtaining the services of the likes of Justin Murphy, Scott Camporeale, Matthew Allan, Richard Cole etc have held his club's development back several years and may face considerable time in the bottom half in recovery. I hope we don't go down that path.

Draft Scout
    So far Sydney has bucked the system by being one club which has not "bottomed out".
    We have avoided bottoming out except for 2002, when we finished around 12th. If you recruit badly, then it won't matter how good your picks are. The facts so far show we have the best record in drafting stars with mid range picks. That is the only thing that will stop us from continuing to press for a top 4 spot
    Staying ahead of the game...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123