Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Will Brett Kirk have Paul Kelly status when he retires???????

Obviously.
    Sit down or i swear to God i'll have you shot.

Regular in the Side
    Originally posted by i'm-uninformed2
    I'll take this on - as I assume I am the acolyte.

I said in my earlier post I admire his endeavour as a player. What I hate are the forked-tongue types who pose as modest, humble servants of the "bloods" code but then go forth at every opportunity to self-promote.

This started as a post about Kel - so let me ask. Kel played in sides that got flogged mercilessly every week and alongside blokes (Dale Lewis anyone?) with twice the talent but half the application. Did you ever hear Kel go out and kick their balls publicly? No. Nor did Maxfield. Nor does Goodes.

There are ways to promote a club culture. There are ways to promote yourself. Kirk leans to the latter too often.
    I don't wish to perpuate another Kirk bashing thread, but fail to see how being a nominated Captain of the club answering to media on a particular issue can be seen as an exercise in "self-promotion".

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Did you ever hear Kel go out and kick their balls publicly? No. Nor did Maxfield. Nor does Goodes.

There are ways to promote a club culture. There are ways to promote yourself. Kirk leans to the latter too often.
    Isnt leadership about making tough decisions too? Sometimes players need a clip around the ear, and they need someone who is prepared to crack open their skull to win a 40-60 ball to put their own efforts into perspective.....

The colonel is a champion of the highest order.

So he has an alternative lifestyle, ergo call him a hippy. But when push comes to shove he is a warrior, and not that I would differentiate between kirk and kelly in this instance - I would certainly like to have him at my side in battle.

I dont think you can erode his leadership credentials by using any examples from the media - similarly with Roos and his coaching. The media work is quite often either throwaway fluff OR is part of a bigger strategy whether that is internal or external.

Back off the colonel!!
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Kirk is inherently valuable as a player and a leader. What, then, is his value in trade week? 1st round pick? Tarrant? Spider?

Let's define it.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Originally posted by Margie
    I don't wish to perpuate another Kirk bashing thread, but fail to see how being a nominated Captain of the club answering to media on a particular issue can be seen as an exercise in "self-promotion".
    Sorry. If I hear that Kokoda Trail bull@@@@ one more time, I'm gunna puke. That's what I don't like.

Anzac spirit, hard job to walk to trail, my grandfathers a legend, blah, blah, blah. It's a bloody walk in the park when you don't have an enemy shooting at you from behind a palm tree!!

I'd have more respect for him if he'd actually fought in the bloody war, not living off this GRANDFATHER's laurels.

Plus the fact that he has stated publicly that he never took much interest in his pa before he'd done Kokoda.

Now, I'm a good lebanese girl who believes that family comes first. Not have interest in your grandparents or what they sacrificed to get YOU where YOU are today?? ... INDEED!!

Be proud of what your pa did ... @@@@@ yeah. Use it as your inspiration, go right ahead. But get off the bloody soap-box son.

People are suffering just to make it day-to-day. Use THAT as your inspriation.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Originally posted by Annie Haddad
    IMO Paul Kelly IS the greatest player I've ever seen play the game.
    You haven't watched much football have you...?
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Sorry. If I hear that Kokoda Trail bull@@@@ one more time, I'm gunna puke. That's what I don't like.

Anzac spirit, hard job to walk to trail, my grandfathers a legend, blah, blah, blah. It's a bloody walk in the park when you don't have an enemy shooting at you from behind a palm tree!!

I'd have more respect for him if he'd actually fought in the bloody war, not living off this GRANDFATHER's laurels.

Plus the fact that he has stated publicly that he never took much interest in his pa before he'd done Kokoda.

Now, I'm a good lebanese girl who believes that family comes first. Not have interest in your grandparents or what they sacrificed to get YOU where YOU are today?? ... INDEED!!

Be proud of what your pa did ... @@@@@ yeah. Use it as your inspiration, go right ahead. But get off the bloody soap-box son.

People are suffering just to make it day-to-day. Use THAT as your inspriation.
    I had the pleasure of meeting his grandfather, Wally Moran, at the Brisbane game in Rd 21 (?) at Telstra last year after he had tossed the coin. A modest, humble man. Quite noticeable the difference really.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Originally posted by NMWBloods
    You haven't watched much football have you...?
    Quite a bit actually.
    Name a more couragous player than Kells?

Actually, it doesn't matter who you name. No-one's gunna sway me on this one.

My nephews (being 12 and 11) have watched considerably less footy than I have. Their favourite thing to do in summer is to come to my place and watch taped games of footy from the 90's that Paul Kelly played in. They think he's a legend ... out of the mouth of babes!!
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Im a good lebanese girl .....
    Ah that explains a lot
    Now this is a thread that i would expect on the ego -centric, wank session that is redandwhiteonline.com...
    MAD
    Pushin Limits

Kirk is inherently valuable as a player and a leader. What, then, is his value in trade week? 1st round pick? Tarrant? Spider?

Let's define it.
    In actual trade terms, maybe you would get a high second round?

But that is a silly point - any prospective suitors would have to think that his cultural value, leadership, etc could be transplanted. Can it? Probably not.

In terms of his value to the club, even the first pick would not compensate for his loss. He has been massive in the turn around in the culture of the club.

What would a club like carlton do to have him there? Thornton, gone. Russell, going. No point getting top draft picks if the kids dont think they've got a future. Someone like Kirk is invaluable because everyone knows what he is playing for, and have an example to follow.

It is beyond me how anyone can ride him into the ground for his role around the club.

I'm pretty sure he is coming from the point of view that walking the trail opened his eyes to the sacrifices his granddad had made....

To give you an example, you can talk about Goodesy all you want, but unless you see him play you dont fully appreciate his skills........??

Blog Entries

Let's define it.
    Indeed.

Kirk  /kɜrk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kurk] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

?noun 1. Brett, 1976 ?, Sydney Swans co-captain: Member of leadership group: Grand Final winner.

Untouchable. Full. Stop.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast