Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sen - Team of the past 30 years

Commentary Team Captain BeeEmmAre's Avatar
    I wouldn't change much of that.

Rod Carter to full back and Leo Barry to back pocket, Jared Crouch out.
    Warwick Capper to forward pocket, Greg Williams out (I haven't forgiven him for the way he shat on us in 1992).
    I only caught the end of David Murphy's career in the late 1980s, so at a pinch I could put Andrew Dunkley to back pocket, move Mark Bayes to wing and leave Murphy out, but that would be a tight call.
    I'd probably swap Craig Bolton and Dennis Carroll.

But that's just about all unless I'm forgetting someone.
    "It's up to the rest of the players in the room to make a new batch of premiership players next year," Adam Goodes, triple Bob Skilton Medallist, October 7, 2011.

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!

Regular in the Side
    Originally posted by NMWBloods
    Where are some of Dunkley, Rantall, Wright, Evans, Carter, Browning, Teasdale, Schwass, Maxfield?
    Teasdale won a Brownlow...yes. but he only had a few good seasons

Rantall went to the Kangaroos in 1973 so he doesnt qualify in the last 30 years

Browning was probably a notch below Bayes..Bayes had the height that he could play CHB, he could play wing or forward. mark was a bit of a one-trick footballer...a fantastic kick

Stevie Wright a but unlucky...I agree..probably drop Jude Bolton and put Stevie in

Maxfield...you have to ask whether he would get in on his football alone...or partly because he was a great captain...who would you drop to include him? Jude...yes, Crouch...yes, who needs a back pocket anyway?

Dunkley vs Carter vs Leo....makes for a great debate...if I had to make one argument for Leo is that he is far more versatile than Dunks or Tilt and he gets far more of the ball...and he did take THAT mark...ok thats 3 arguments

Schwass...hmmm...close...but again...who would you drop...maybe his best years were at North
    Last edited by ItsAllGoodes; 21st December 2006 at 08:54 PM.

Originally posted by ItsAllGoodes
    Teasdale won a Brownlow...yes. but he only had a few good seasons
    And some of the players in the current team have more than a few?

Rantall went to the Kangaroos in 1973 so he doesnt qualify in the last 30 years
    He played for us from '76-'79 also.

Browning was probably a notch below Bayes..Bayes had the height that he could play CHB, he could play wing or forward. mark was a bit of a one-trick footballer...a fantastic kick
    But both arguably better than Kennelly or Barry.

Stevie Wright a but unlucky...I agree..probably drop Jude Bolton and put Stevie in
    That change isn't even arguable. He made the TOC FFS!

Maxfield...you have to ask whether he would get in on his football alone...or partly because he was a great captain...who would you drop to include him? Jude...yes
    He was a decent footballer.

Dunkley vs Carter vs Leo....makes for a great debate
    Dunkley and Carter were superior FBs to Barry.

Schwass...hmmm...close...but again...who would you drop...maybe his best years were at North
    The main ones I'd drop are J Bolton, Barry, and possibly O'Keefe, for Wright, Dunkley/Carter, and possibly Schwass.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Originally posted by NMWBloods
    And some of the players in the current team have more than a few?
    Agreed. He should be in the side regardless, however the biggest issue for him is he is going to go up against Round position wise, so basically he would have to be looking at a spot on the bench at best, because Round at the end of the day will ALWAYS get the nod.

He played for us from '76-'79 also.
    Tis true, but the question remains however are those four seasons from Rantall "better" than the past four seasons that Kennelly has given us? Hard to say outright for a club legend like Rantall "but" his second spell at the club wasn't as good as his first and we sadly have to judge this on the output within the 30 year period.

That change isn't even arguable. He made the TOC FFS!
    Stevie Wright everyday of the week and twice on Sunday's. Most underrated Swans of the 80's in my opinion.

Dunkley and Carter were superior FBs to Barry.
    Only because Leo isn't a true FB's build and even if he was he still would come close to either of them. For mind I'm going to take Dunks because of he success on the Big Name Full Forwards in the 90's.

The main ones I'd drop are J Bolton, Barry, and possibly O'Keefe, for Wright, Dunkley/Carter, and possibly Schwass.
    Drop the following: The two Bolton's, Murphy, Williams, and Ball and have the team as follows
    B: Jared Crouch, Andrew Dunkley Leo Barry
    HB: Dennis Carroll, Mark Bayes, Tadhg Kennelly
    C: Stuart Maxfield, Paul Kelly (c), Adam Goodes
    HF: Tony Morwood, Barry Hall, Ryan O?Keefe
    F: Michael O?Loughlin, Tony Lockett, Steven Wright
    Foll: Barry Round, Gerard Healy, Greg Williams

Interchange: Mark Browning, Daryn Cresswell, Graham Teasdale, Rod Carter

Coach: Paul Roos
    Once was, now elsewhere

Originally posted by robbieando
    Stevie Wright everyday of the week and twice on Sunday's. Most underrated Swans of the 80's in my opinion.

Drop the following: The two Bolton's, Murphy, Williams, and Ball and have the team as follows
    B: Jared Crouch, Andrew Dunkley Leo Barry
    HB: Dennis Carroll, Mark Bayes, Tadhg Kennelly
    C: Stuart Maxfield, Paul Kelly (c), Adam Goodes
    F: Michael O?Loughlin, Tony Lockett, Steven Wright
    Foll: Barry Round, Gerard Healy, Greg Williams

Interchange: Mark Browning, Daryn Cresswell, Graham Teasdale, Rod Carter

Coach: Paul Roos
    Agree there with Stevie Wright but the only changers i would make to the team would be....Tadhg out-B2 in,Teaser-out,Capper in.
    Now this is a thread that i would expect on the ego -centric, wank session that is redandwhiteonline.com...
    MAD
    Pushin Limits

Bayes deserves his spot. I wouldn't put Stevie Wright in though.

Jude Bolton, Jared Crouch, Kennelly and Jason Ball?? Surely those four aren't in our best 22 of the last 30 years.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Originally posted by swantastic
    Agree there with Stevie Wright but the only changers i would make to the team would be....Tadhg out-B2 in,Teaser-out,Capper in.
    Tahhgd out, B2 in for mine.
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Isn't this just the opinion of Bob Skilton? It's not a definitive best of team, just his opinion. Instead of picking holes why not pick your own team?
    Does God believe in Atheists?

I think Skiltons team is pretty good.

Considering we have made 2 consecutive grand finals and have one of the most successful Swans teams in 100 years I can't understand why people are complaining about too many current players.

I agree Wright and Dunks are unlucky. I think Roos is especially unlucky. But you can't have everyone in there.

33 Years of Support Alibi Monday's Avatar
    B: Craig Bolton, Rod Carter, Leo Barry
    HB: Dennis Carroll, Mark Bayes, Tadgh Kennelly
    C: David Murphy, Greg Williams, Adam Goodes
    F: Michael O?Loughlin, Tony Lockett, Stevie Wright
    Foll: Barry Round, Gerard Healy, Paul Kelly

Interchange: Paul Williams, Graham Teasdale, Brett Kirk, Daryn Cresswell

Here's my attempt.

Backs:
    The only thing I will say is that we've never had a dominant CHB. Bayes is the best tall and won a B&F in the position, mind you Carroll or Bolton could also play there and have. Carter over Dunkley, simply because Dunstall rated him and Silvagni as the best he's played against. Dunkley was a very good player, but he never would have got AA selection, like Bolton and Barry.

Centre Line/On-balls:
    We've had some genuine champions play from the centre. Williams, Healy and Kelly were the best 3. Williams, Kirk and Cresswell make the bench. Goodes can play anywhere, but wing or RR is where he's most dangerous. Murph over Maxfield, Browning etc.

Forwards:
    This is the easiest. Straight forward I would have thought. O'Keefe is an outstanding player and deserves his spot and like Morwood, he's a genuine HFF.

Rucks:
    Round's a shoe-in, but other than him, it's never been clear cut. Teasdale over Ball, due to his Brownlow year and leading goalkicker for the club. Stafford eliminated because if his last year shocker.

Apologies:
    Dunkley, Capper, Roberts, Browning, Maxfield, Lewis, Schwass, Mitchell, Ackerley, Evans

Veterans List
    Originally posted by Plugger46
    Bayes deserves his spot. I wouldn't put Stevie Wright in though.

Jude Bolton, Jared Crouch, Kennelly and Jason Ball?? Surely those four aren't in our best 22 of the last 30 years.
    Agreed on Wright. How can anyone have him ahead of Kirk and Cresswell, and Mitchell and Evans were far superior as rovers. Wright for mine was over rated to the shizenhousen. Went missing against the good sides, a front runner if ever there was one.

Veterans List
    No one has mentioned David Rhys Jones. He and Williams are easily the most skilled players in my time. His sublime pick ups, blind turns and ability to read the bounce of the ball were a treat. Excellent on both sides of his body.

Sure he turned traitor and headed back to Melbourne for the big Calton cheque book bucks but as in the best team he has to be there.

While we are on traitors the much lauded D.Ackerley one of the more vocal faceless back room boys of the push to Sydney, also turned tail and ran when it suited him. 3 seasons he lasted I believe. Another over rated ordinary player in lets face it a middle of the road team.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast