Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is This The Last Year We Play On Sydneys Worst Ground?

Is This The Last Year We Play On Sydneys Worst Ground?

Looking at Southern Sharks website when i laid my eyes across these magic words......
    Return to Gwawley ? for our last season on Gwawley Oval -is this the last time we're forced onto this dingy surface?We played there last year,pulling thick carpet up from the buried cricket pitch that would've caught an ankle.One of our boys came down from a contest a few years back,and because of the rough surface where he landed,he broke one ankle and fracture the other.With East Coast's new ground being built, and work starting on new facilities at Bensons Lane already, is it time the AFL started working with local councils to ensure safe playing fields?In this day and age, no team in whatever grade should have to play on covered cricket pitches,esp with the money being poured into footy in our state.There should be a dedicated footy ground in every region of Sydney-and thats just for a start.The only ones available now would be Kelso and Monarch?Am i right?

Senior Player
    The AFL have been a lot more active in recent times on local grounds.

Being in the Inner City I am aware they have put money and time into Alan Davidson Oval, Picken and Wagener and have been working with Drummoyne Council on Drummoyne Oval.

Both Picken and Wagener are dedicated AFL and have no summer usage........ at the moment.

Originally posted by floppinab
    The AFL have been a lot more active in recent times on local grounds.
    I've heard that there are plans for the AFL to fund upgrading the Pittwater Juniors oval (Nth Narrabeen) to senior standard, including upgraded lighting.

Originally posted by floppinab
    have been working with Drummoyne Council on Drummoyne Oval.
    Cant ever see Drummoyne Oval getting rid of the pitch,its a showpiece cricket oval first and foremost,and holds Domestic games from time to time,so they can work on it all they like, i'm pretty sure in the past Balmain werent even allowed to train on it fulltime. Wagener and Picken are good ovals,but with the "warchest" they always talk about, you'd think they'd secure some more spots.Pittwater's junior ground?Is that the one in the high school, or Lakeside Oval next to Narrabeen Smash?I remember playing on Pittwater High back in juniors,and training on Lakeside as part of a devwelopment camp about 12 years ago.If its Lakeside,right on the main road,that should be priority for exposure.

Warming the Bench
    If we got our way we'd of been off Gwawley 10 years ago - bring on Lincoln in 2008 and my endless list of surgery's required from 12 years at Gwawley.....
    Carn the Southern Power.....

Originally posted by cartman48
    If we got our way we'd of been off Gwawley 10 years ago - bring on Lincoln in 2008 and my endless list of surgery's required from 12 years at Gwawley.....
    yeah its not ur clubs fault,we had a look around the ground before last yrs game- Offal and i-and it was by all accounts in terrible shape.i called Brett at league and was told it was assessed by council and league the day before and it was clear for play by insurance standards. Lincoln is nice

Logged in by my mobile so ran out of room.i like Lincoln,bit small from memory-95 was last time-but picturesque-not much parking is there?it was yrs ago so forgive me if i'm wrong.do you know dimensions?

Senior Player
    Originally posted by Pekay
    but with the "warchest" they always talk about, you'd think they'd secure some more spots.
    Don't get me wrong, they could be doing a lot more, but to suggest nothing is being done at the moment is wrong.

I'd love to see some of the multi- 7 figure exec. salaries a few of them are on diverted to something like this. It's insane what the men at the top are being paid.

You're right about Drummoyne but I think they've contributed to upgraded lighting there recently.

On the Rookie List
    good news first and second worst ground in sydney are going .

1 - Gwaley Cess Pool
    2 - Olds Park

Sharks going to Lincoln
    Crows going to Hurstville

Dockers Fever in 2007 ...best ground in league Drummoyne

Trying to remember where i suggested nothing was being done-not enough was my comment.i wld love 2c Drummoyne upgraded and full time use,but there's only so much a club can do on their own. Warchest shld help with fees, maybe some more council support?good news about lights,even better about Olds despite history there

I heard they're going to replace the old lights at Drummoyne with some new, low cost, high technology, low emmission, 'green' lighting that will be 100 times brighter than the current lights.

The powers that be have gone to the $2 shop and purchased 4 Dinner Candles, 1 for each 'corner' of the ground.

This will undoubtedly improve the poor lighting situation at Drummoyne 100 fold!

Senior Player
    Originally posted by tigers_town
    good news first and second worst ground in sydney are going .

1 - Gwaley Cess Pool
    2 - Olds Park

Sharks going to Lincoln
    Crows going to Hurstville

Dockers Fever in 2007 ...best ground in league Drummoyne
    Olds isnt as bad as Greygums.

Worst facilites would be Weldon and Gwawley.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast