Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is This The Last Year We Play On Sydneys Worst Ground?

Originally posted by Pekay
    Pittwater's junior ground?Is that the one in the high school, or Lakeside Oval next to Narrabeen Smash?I remember playing on Pittwater High back in juniors,and training on Lakeside as part of a devwelopment camp about 12 years ago.If its Lakeside,right on the main road,that should be priority for exposure.
    Pittwater left the high school about 4 years ago to a new ground behind the Rugby/Soccer field (usually referred to as Rat Park). Not sure where you mean by Lakeside Oval?

At the moment, even in winter, it doesn't look like much - just a stretch grass with a boundary line and posts. The club is hoping to start building change rooms in the next 12 months (bye bye caravan), once the funding gets approved.

I'm pretty sure Soccer has taken over the high school now - it was only big enough for Juniors though. It's biggest advantage was what it was never washed out, based on sand and not council controlled.

Originally posted by j s
    Pittwater left the high school about 4 years ago to a new ground behind the Rugby/Soccer field (usually referred to as Rat Park). Not sure where you mean by Lakeside Oval?

At the moment, even in winter, it doesn't look like much - just a stretch grass with a boundary line and posts. The club is hoping to start building change rooms in the next 12 months (bye bye caravan), once the funding gets approved.

I'm pretty sure Soccer has taken over the high school now - it was only big enough for Juniors though. It's biggest advantage was what it was never washed out, based on sand and not council controlled.
    Lakeside is on the main road opposite Narrabeen Sports, near a caravan park?It was years ago so its prob flats or houses now.I know the venue you speak of, good spot!hope it all goes well.As for DLH, sounds like the help is forthcoming, good luck with it.Would be better for footy on Dukes i agree.

Senior Player
    DLH last year Greygums looked the best I have ever seen it. I am a big critic of the ground after suffering a bad injury for which I am still suffering from nearly 10 years later. The biggest problem I see with Dukes is its size, GG's has it covered there but from an awareness point of view it has far more potential to promote the sport in the Penrith area.

Lakeside is on the main road opposite Narrabeen Sports, near a caravan park?It was years ago so its prob flats or houses now.I know the venue you speak of, good spot!hope it all goes well.As for DLH, sounds like the help is forthcoming, good luck with it.Would be better for footy on Dukes i agree.
    I know where you mean now - that's a RL field I think - went (sort of) rectangular when they built clubrooms though it's still used for cricket.
    Last edited by j s; 23rd February 2007 at 03:13 PM.

Warming the Bench
    Originally posted by tara
    DLH last year Greygums looked the best I have ever seen it. I am a big critic of the ground after suffering a bad injury for which I am still suffering from nearly 10 years later. The biggest problem I see with Dukes is its size, GG's has it covered there but from an awareness point of view it has far more potential to promote the sport in the Penrith area.
    Given what happened to you I don't blame you in the slightest for not being a fan. There are plenty of our guys who have suffered injuries over the years which you could attribute in some degree to the state of the ground.

Unfortunately Dukes is gone forever I'd say due to the local cricket association's heavy lobbying. There's no doubt that at 147m "long" it is too short (albeit it is quite wide, basically a circle), however, the surface is good and the amenities block is excellent, although the rooms, being designed for cricket, are too small. As you say, the location lends itself to far more passing traffic which was good for awareness.

Until now, Greygums has been in the backblocks, however, you might have noticed a large housing estate which is beginning to take shape to the immediate west of the ground. Within the next 3-5 years there will be thousands of new residents, which will mean the ground will be surrounded by housing and the main entry to the ground will be from a new road to the immediate west (hence the proposed new amenities block on that side of the oval).

In the medium term, Council and Lend Lease have raised the possibility of a new sporting facility in the ADI development to the east of Penrith, which would include an AFL ground. Obviously this is a little way off, but hopefully something comes of that.

Pekay, can you fill us in on what's happening at Bensons Lane?

Senior Player
    DLH my wife grew up a short way in another suburb. Her brother lives only a ten minute walk from the ground so hopefully Ill get to see a few games this year and have a beer.

Pekay she has committed to running water and helping out so Frankie is going to organise shorts and an approriate SWS top(cougar) for her to wear. If I cant get my guys fit at least I can distract the opposition

Sorry Shearer, I got carried away playing online poker....

I'm not up to speed with the actual playing dimensions of the ground, Oscar may have those details on hand...

Ground was to be marked out this wk and land for clubhouse was surveyed last wk.pretty much the last sport looked after by Hawkesbury Sports Council was ours,and its very exciting.same size as Bensons No1,which looks like carpet at present.

Senior Player
    Ground was to be marked out this wk and land for clubhouse was surveyed last wk.pretty much the last sport looked after by Hawkesbury Sports Council was ours,and its very exciting.same size as Bensons No1,which looks like carpet at present.

Anyone can lay carpet on concrete Pekay .

In all seriousness glad to hear the ground is in good shape. Ive always liked the area except for the @@@@ smell

Smell takes some getting used to-if u dont eat befor training,u certainly have a full stomach afterwards!thick enough to cut with a knife!i'm talking about our current ground being like carpet,our new one will take some work to get to that stage,but both our dams next to ground are full so water not as issue.needs breaking up and some topsoil,but pretty good nick as we speak.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123