Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheer squad and the banner.

Cheer squad and the banner.

What happened to the good olde days when the cheer squad would put the banner up, lower it and turn it 90 degrees and so on, so the whole crowd got a chance to see it?

Of the 24K there today, about 5K would have been able to see what was written on the banner for Magics 250th and Jollys 100th (although I note when watching the replay that no mention was made of Bolton's 100th Sydney game).

We are members on the other side of the ground as well. Come to think of it, the sponsors dribble which makes up the 'reverse' side of the banner is more suitable for showing to the Chardy set in the Brewongle anyway, they are more likely to want to use it
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

I thought somebody cheer squad aligned would have been able to answer this question by now.

MOD EDIT - Baiting
    Last edited by Matt79; 18th April 2007 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    I thought somebody cheer squad aligned would have been able to answer this question by now.
    It's a good point you raise. I'm looking forward to a response also.
    Last edited by Matt79; 18th April 2007 at 11:00 AM.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Blog Entries
    They do it in Melbourne. Maybe the Sydney guys are just lazy.

MOD EDIT - Baiting
    Matt, that's a ridiculous edit.

Maybe I should say something non-offensive like 'All those black people look the same to me'.

I don't know the answer but I do know that the time from when the CS is allowed on to the field to the the time when the team runs out can often be too short to rotate the banner. The CS looked a bit understaffed and inexperienced on Sunday which also might have been a factor. Rotating the banner needs good co-ordination to do it efficiently and without damaging the banner.

The Melb CS is much larger and most of the banner crew have done it many times previously.

Yarraville, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    What happened to the good olde days when the cheer squad would put the banner up, lower it and turn it 90 degrees and so on, so the whole crowd got a chance to see it?

Of the 24K there today, about 5K would have been able to see what was written on the banner for Magics 250th and Jollys 100th (although I note when watching the replay that no mention was made of Bolton's 100th Sydney game).

We are members on the other side of the ground as well. Come to think of it, the sponsors dribble which makes up the 'reverse' side of the banner is more suitable for showing to the Chardy set in the Brewongle anyway, they are more likely to want to use it
    I completely agree with you mate. In Melbourne (and even Adelaide & Perth) the Cheer Squads are given more than enough time to get out there, spin the banner around a couple of times then get it ready for the players run out. In Sydney we are generally given 2 minutes (yes, TWO minutes!) to get out there, get the ropes on & get the thing on. This is completely crazy & is something the club should really look at rectifying. They fill their pre-match programme so much that things are scripted to the minute. They give the Cheer Squad 2 minutes which is not only generally verging on the unfeasable. The thing is THEY are the ones who lose out the most, as their sponsors on the banner lose advertising exposure time & space.

Things like that are thankfully not my problem any more. Am darn happy about that to be honest.

JF
    "Never ever ever state that Sydney is gone.They are like cockroaches in the aftermath of a nuclear war"
    (Forum poster 'Change', Big Footy 04Apr09)

Julian. If you can confirm that this is the reason, perhaps a few emails from fans who sit in the Noble, O'Reilly etc may persuade the club to give the cheer squad more time.

Being reasonable, how much time do they need to raise the banner to a few different parts of the ground? 5 minutes?

I'd be prepared to shoot off an email stating it's disappointing that PAYING Swan members don't get to see the banner, a longstanding tradition in footy, because the cheer squad needs a few more minutes.

I'm sure others here will as well.

or perhaps Brewongle fans complaining they didn't get to see the sponsor message might be more effective?

On the Rookie List swansrock4eva's Avatar
    I'd suggest shooting off an email regardless - let the club know that you are unhappy about it, and let them get back to you with why they can or can't do something to make you a bit less unhappy.

Aside from that, in the past time on field with the banner has certianly been an issue although not living in Sydney anymore I can't say if the situation has changed or not.

On the Rookie List swansrock4eva's Avatar
    Regardless of the reason why, I'd suggest sending one anyway - you're a member, you're not happy, let them know why you aren't happy and they can get back to you with why they can or can't do something to change your feelings on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    They do it in Melbourne. Maybe the Sydney guys are just lazy.
    I agree Scott there just to busy sucking down their latte's and chardonnay to give a toss the lazy bludgers,it only happens in Sydney.
    Now this is a thread that i would expect on the ego -centric, wank session that is redandwhiteonline.com...
    MAD
    Pushin Limits

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast