Thread: Trying to watch my Swannies...

Trying to watch my Swannies...

...on afl.com.au but for some reason the second and third round games have been uploaded on an unwatchably pathetic compression rate. Is anyone else getting the same??

All the NAB cup and first round matches (for ALL teams and games...I've checked) are in the usual (for the last three years) compression but all of a sudden it's unwatchable...its worse than the Saddam video phone.

Is anyone else getting this issue or is it just becasue I haven't joined bigpond and they divert me to a @@@@e version?

There's no option to phone or call anyone regarding the website...and no opportunity for me to call the afl during business hours.
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

I thought it was just my computer, so it is good to hear others are having trouble too.

I have to guess where the ball is most of the time. Not really good value for money for my bigpond deal( I am signed up with bigpond and it is still dreadful).

It is like watching the criminals come out of a court and they pixilate their faces or whatever the term is. If I squint and have my seat 5 meters away or sit on the toilet and watch it around the door it is a bit clearer.
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

No. It is @@@@@@ for me too.
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

There seems to be something dramatically wrong with BigPondTV of late (ie: worse than normal).
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

On the Rookie List

Unhappy

I've been wondering the same thing. Have had bigpond for a couple of years and this is the worst it's ever been. Coincided with me getting a new flat panel monitor which is great for everything else except for watching afl highlights on bigpond.
    Run2Live,Live2Run

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NMWBloods View Post
    There seems to be something dramatically wrong with BigPond.
    I think you are right.

Try torrents.
    I will be a member again when I return.

Quote Originally Posted by graystar View Post
    Try torrents.
    Excuse my ignorance Graystar.....what does that mean? Now I feel like a fool in front of lots of people.(So what's new I hear people say)
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

Regular in the Side
    The Big Pond FAQ site has a whole lot of incomprehensible stuff about what is required to get the footy...just a complete mystery to me. So they have lost me for the moment!

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by satchmopugdog View Post
    Excuse my ignorance Graystar.....what does that mean? Now I feel like a fool in front of lots of people.(So what's new I hear people say)
    it's a great way to share material, particularly big files like video. these large files are broken up into little pieces so you can simultaneously get parts from multiple participating computers. first you need to get a program that handles the downloading part, i suggest utorrent (if on windows) or azureus (all platforms). then you need to go to an index page on which you can search for a "torrent" file which tells your computer how the data/files are organised and how it contacts other computers which have it.

only really worth it if you have broadband or better. you may have (solvable) problems if you have a firewall. it does appear to be a secure method for filesharing.
    then again, i think it would be worth trying 15-16 players on field so what would i know

Well I've discovered the solution - bigpond is automatically sending out the video at bit ratre depending on its reading of your system?

How did I discover this/

Well - watching really crappy vision and tried the zoom icon which opens a new browser (that looks like windows media player) this had writing at the bottom that said something like "optimization in progress" and listed the bit rate of 351 kbs.

So I opened my other computer - which is a bit faster (3.2 v 1.7) and has a much better graphics card...other than that they share everything....modem, router, screen, keyboard...low and behold when I went to watch on this machine (I don't usually use it for internet because it is my music computer rather than my office computer) the picture is fantastic. When I opened the secondary player it said something like "675Match fast 1100 kbs"

So the solution would appear to be - get a better graphics card...v cheap..or somehow work out how to turn off automatic optimization and select your own steaming speed.

Getting a help from AFL or Bigpond is impossible in my experience.

Yay! Now I can watch the Brisbane and Richmond games
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

BTW I found that using the secondary browser (in which you can optimize the zoom) causes disruptions in the stream...just the normal player is perfect (I'm on Optus ADSL 1.5 MB).

Wow...put it on full screen and move back a metre...it's "that" close to watching TV