Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is the best 1st div playing coach

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by shearer View Post
    I know St George had 3 last year(Dan Turner, Joel Robbie & Jimmy Wilsen) & Jimmy played in the senior practice match at the start of the year.

I dont think we are unique as i think each premier league club would of had one of there better kids play for the Swans Ressies when they have been short.

Shearer my point is people belittle 1st div 2nd div etc without any regard for the real level of talent that is there. Sure it is dimished but at the end of the day it is there. Players at an AFL level wernt always the best/most talented footballers at junior level. They were definately far more determined and focused though. There are of lot of factors that determine why a player decides to play where he does and sometimes mateship overrides the lure of playing at a higher level.

Tara, while Daniel Saunders (im assuming that is who you are talking about) was a very talented and skillfull payer it probably didnt help him staying in 1st division and not testing himself against better opposition in premier league. He ended up being a wasted talent playing 2's for you guys because he wouldnt train and only turn up when he felt like it.....

Warming the Bench
    Even a lowly First Division club like us had two guys walk straight into the reigning Premiers first grade side for Round 1.

Senior Player
    Roo you are correct but there were other issues with Danny the others wouldnt be aware of. The season he played two's he did so on one leg as his knee was stuffed. As for training he lived in the Blue Mountains that year and had only just had his first child. Danny never had the inclination to go further with his football at the time we were mates which to me was unfortunate becuase he had a lot to offer. That however was his decision. His brother Ray may not have had the flair that Danny had but if you had combined the boys you would have had one hell of a skilled and determined footballer. My personnal thoughts are if you have the skill you should aspire to play at the highest level you can becuase at the end of the day you are only young once and there is a lot of time to think "what if".

Commentary Team Captain BeeEmmAre's Avatar
    As Tara said, there are stars running around at every (senior) level of football, who may want to stay with the club they love and not go somewhere just because it is a higher level.
    I believe we have at least two and possibly four or five at the Jets who could play Premier seniors, and play well, but why would they want to travel halfway across the city to train (closest clubs ATM are Pennant Hills and Campbelltown - each 40 minutes away) and play when they can line-up with their mates five minutes down the road?
    On the other foot, blokes who are in the 12-22 bracket at a premier league club could go back to a first division club - or from first div to SWS - and be 'stars'.
    "It's up to the rest of the players in the room to make a new batch of premiership players next year," Adam Goodes, triple Bob Skilton Medallist, October 7, 2011.

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!

Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Strauchan View Post
    Stars in division 1 mmm.... they would be handy contributors in premier league, potentially as water boys or boundry umpires if they are short.
    Roger Moten was a good player at Balmain in their premiership years in the top grade.

Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeEmmAre View Post
    As Tara said, there are stars running around at every (senior) level of football, who may want to stay with the club they love and not go somewhere just because it is a higher level.
    I believe we have at least two and possibly four or five at the Jets who could play Premier seniors,
    If you had 5 players who could play premier level seniors you would be winning every game by 10 goals. Not have won one match on a technicality and a percentage of 48.

Senior Player
    Humphrey I reckon we had 5 blokes that last year could have played Prem Div Seniors at South West last year. Im not saying they would be a walk up start but they certainly have the capabilities. There are a hell of a lot more factors involved to winning than a few good players you should know that.

Quote Originally Posted by DLH View Post
    Even a lowly First Division club like us had two guys walk straight into the reigning Premiers first grade side for Round 1.
    Who were they?

On the Rookie List
    I have said it before and I will say it again, the best reserve sides from premier league, those being the Easts, Penno and ECE sides (in the previous two years) would win a flag in division 1. Those blokes that think other wise have no idea about footy. It's the same as the less talented swans players smash the opposition every week in the Canberra comp. Imagine Lohnro running around Scone against a bunch of nags destined for the glue factory. It's like compairing apples and oranges!
    Give it a wash!

Senior Player
    What about the rest of the Ressies sides that make up the other 70% how do you think that they would fare?

On the Rookie List
    The top for ressie sides would take the top 4 spots on the ladder. The other 6 would be around the mark with the division 1 clubs. Is that a fair assessment?
    Give it a wash!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast