Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who is the best 1st div playing coach

Senior Player
    1st Div has fallen away in recent years but I do think you are underestimating UTS. I would expect UNSW/ES to be fairly competetive at that level but for reasons of their own they remain in D2. I have found D2 to be a suprise packet though and now believe the 5 tier option that the AFL has looked at to possibly be a very viable alternative to what is currently in place even though it could prove a logistical nightmare.

Buddy
    Tara

Isnt the UNSW/ES Div 2 team that you speak of the 3rd grade team at that club.

The 2nd grade team at that club is already in the premier league reserves. Isnt that proof about how much stronger the premier league is when their 3rd team is dominant in the lower division?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by humphrey bear View Post
    Tara

Isnt the UNSW/ES Div 2 team that you speak of the 3rd grade team at that club.

The 2nd grade team at that club is already in the premier league reserves. Isnt that proof about how much stronger the premier league is when their 3rd team is dominant in the lower division?
    They currently have two teams in "Thirds" Whales and Bulldogs. They also have more than enough numbers to possibly fill three sides. Sydney Uni are in that position but running 3 sides, Blue, Gold and Red. To be honest Sydney Uni from what I have seen wouldnt compete at 1st Div with what they are running around with but UNSW/ES would.

Commentary Team Captain BeeEmmAre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by humphrey bear View Post
    If you had 5 players who could play premier level seniors you would be winning every game by 10 goals. Not have won one match on a technicality and a percentage of 48.
    I think you underestimate first division.
    Plus, only two of the ones I have in mind have played every game and neither are at their best due to lingering injuries.
    "It's up to the rest of the players in the room to make a new batch of premiership players next year," Adam Goodes, triple Bob Skilton Medallist, October 7, 2011.

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!

Almost Football Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    I have found D2 to be a suprise packet though and now believe the 5 tier option that the AFL has looked at to possibly be a very viable alternative to what is currently in place even though it could prove a logistical nightmare.
    What happened to the 5-tier concept? It was floated round a couple of years ago but seems to have gone to the back-burner. It would be tricky logistically to arrange the draws for it; so that could be part of the reason why.
    It may have been helpful for a club like NorWest Jets in the last couple of years who only have the numbers to field one team, but that team being too strong for the division they were playing in. Early days yet, but possibly a similar story for SWS this year.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Senior Player
    I dont know what has happenned to it Norris.

I have been very critical in the past of the NSWAFL however in my experience with them this year I can say they have been nothing but helpfull and supportive of what we are trying to accomplish( a refreshing change). Obviously we lack numbers which has made it impossible to field a competetive side in two grades over the past few years. This is something as a club we are addressing and taking responsibility for and firmly believe we will be back in 1st div in the not to distant future, and by saying that we dont intend to just make up the numbers when we do return.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Who were they?
    Matt Brennan and Nathan Wright.

Logistically I can't see the five division concept working due to the problems that less well equiped clubs would have manning two or three sides over the same number of venues, potentially on both days of the weekend. The draw would be that problematic that this would be inevitable.

There's no question that 1st Division has dropped right away. Only three clubs would be up to a decent standard in comparision to five years ago, notwithstanding the fact that there are only seven teams in it now.

On the Rookie List
    DLH, no offence to Matty and Nato, but they have played the last few weeks in the magoos at Penno. Both good players i agree, but adjusting to Premier Division seems to have taken them some time.

Warming the Bench
    Understand that mate, just trying to make the point that there are some good players running around in Div 1 and the jump can be made.

There's a nice representation of our old boys in your twos at the moment, not to mention Alistair Richardson in the ones. We could certainly do with them at the moment!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123