Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: McVeigh

Quote Originally Posted by elroy67 View Post
    Agreed. And I think that the frustration being felt by many would be alleviated if there was some form of acknowledgement of poor form through action of the match commitee, rather than simple platitudes from the coach.

At some point underperforming players must go back to the 2's, if only to provide inspiration for those already struggling there. What is the point of the 2's if senior players cannot be dropped to provide chances for the newer players? I've not seen much of the seconds over the last few years, but it is quite clear many posters are of the opinion that there are some there that at least deserve a chance at senior level.
    I think this is the crux of the argument, if players were dropped after a few weeks of bad form, these discussions wouldn't have to take place. McVeigh, Jude Bolton, Ben Mathews, even MOL could all at some stage this year have benefitted from a spell in the twos, but when the coach/match committee won't do that you really have to wonder where they are coming from. I know it's good to have faith in your plan for the team, but you always have to look a step or two ahead of where you are, because if you don't, just like when you are hiking, you will stumble and fall, and none of us want to see that happen again.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Who was on Pearce in the last quarter?

Quote Originally Posted by smasher View Post
    Who was on Pearce in the last quarter?
    The great hardman....Mc Veigh

Quote Originally Posted by lovetheswannies View Post
    okay.. i've been on the drop mcveigh band wagon since round 1 but i've decided to change my tune...

he's got potential so i'm gonna stick with him for a bit... anyone want to join?
    NO !!!

Back, strapped and intact dread and might's Avatar
    He was better than complete rubbish.

This does not make him great.
    I wish my weed was EMO so it would cut itself

McVeigh
    How long is this dud going to keep getting a game?

He is a dear in headlights when he has the ball and always seems to choose the wrong option.

You never see him winning the hardball and he doesn't have the skill to be an outside midfielder. Worst of all is the lack of penetration in his kicking.

An absolute joke who must go.
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I could write a 1000 pages on why he shouldnt be in the team, but I already have.

I agree with all you wrote.
    With Macca due to play his 300th and play on again next season as an all time club champion and premiership winning captain, it seems timely to revive this thread which makes hilarious and thought provoking reading with the benefit of hindsight. It seems that barry at least has been consistent. Even by 2007 he had written "1000 pages on why [Macca] shouldn't be in the team". Likewise liz was consistent as the voice of reason even in this thread.

Perhaps we can balance out the calumny heaped on McVeigh in 2007 (justified or not) by paying homage now to his deeds since.

Ironically, only the following year Macca won the Bob Skilton Medal and had some highlight performances like 6 goals against the Bulldogs in R18 and 20 contested possessions (squibbing the contest? methinks not! playing his role with discipline more like it) against Brisbane in Round 22.

Opti-pessi-misti
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    With Macca due to play his 300th and play on again next season as an all time club champion and premiership winning captain, it seems timely to revive this thread which makes hilarious and thought provoking reading with the benefit of hindsight. It seems that barry at least has been consistent. Even by 2007 he had written "1000 pages on why [Macca] shouldn't be in the team". Likewise liz was consistent as the voice of reason even in this thread.

Perhaps we can balance out the calumny heaped on McVeigh in 2007 (justified or not) by paying homage now to his deeds since.

Ironically, only the following year Macca won the Bob Skilton Medal and had some highlight performances like 6 goals against the Bulldogs in R18 and 20 contested possessions (squibbing the contest? methinks not! playing his role with discipline more like it) against Brisbane in Round 22.
    Good one Bloodspirit. I am thrilled that Macca is going to make the 300 games and be up there with Micky O, Jude and Goodesy. Only a select few achieve it.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    My first reaction was "What the hell?" A real blast from the past, and hard evidence that some things (and people) never change!

Congratulations Macca on joining such elite figures as our 300 Club.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Awesome achievement.... can't wait to see him out there for the 300th time on the G, selling his candy, hitting targets , a goal definitely , conducting the orchestral score and banking another win .
    Good on you cobber.

Ah, 2007, the last time me and Ernie koala agreed on something.
    Mcveigh's career has had three distinct periods:
    Pre 2011. The mchack years. Ordinary skills, soft as butter.
    2011-2013. The good years.
    2013+ The Pointy years. Back to hackness except in certain unique circumstances.

Sure, he's strung a few good games together in the past month, but was characteristically quiet in the final last week.

- - - Updated - - -

But credit where credit is due. 250 games is a good achievement. The other 50 where he selected himself... Well, should they count?

I've loved watching him this year. His return showed what a composed and skilled player he is, and he's been so important to the team. He's come a long way from his early days and I hope he has a wonderful 300th. On a related note - I read an article recently that suggested his 3rd daughter is due right around finals time, which makes me a bit nervous!!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast