Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: state of origin

Warming the Bench

state of origin

so it might come back,but why a qld/nsw team?
    there are over 30 nsw and act players and over 40 qld players on current lists,plus many nt players.
    so why not each state represented on its own?
    forgotten 1996
    2005 a much sweeter memory,2012 even better

I don't think NSW or Qld would be competitive enough. I think an Allies team is the way to go.

On the Rookie List
    Ive been waiting for origin to start back up. VICS, WA, SA, and the Allies. Sounds great. You have the chance to represent your home state, etc. Who wouldnt want to do that? Demetriou probably...

Quote Originally Posted by gazza View Post
    so it might come back,but why a qld/nsw team?
    there are over 30 nsw and act players and over 40 qld players on current lists,plus many nt players.
    so why not each state represented on its own?
    I'm not too keen on having half our side playing an extra game, as was "predicted" by the SMH's theoretical NSW side. However, I could be swayed if it was at an appropriate time, e.g the week prior to the start of the season.
    10100111001 ;-)

Commentary Team Captain BeeEmmAre's Avatar
    The Allies are a major part of why Origin died. They had no identity and no one wanted to watch them.
    I want to see the sky blue taking on (and beating) Victoria again, just as we did in 1990.
    "It's up to the rest of the players in the room to make a new batch of premiership players next year," Adam Goodes, triple Bob Skilton Medallist, October 7, 2011.

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!

ROLLLLLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!! Glenn's Avatar
    Indeed, seeing NSW players with QLD players when QLD are seen as the enemy to most in NSW (through the RL SOO) just doesn't sit well.
    Of course those in Vic are to worried about the mighty big V being beaten at there own game, by a bunch of inter staters from NSW.
    Premiers 09,18,33,05

"You Irish Twit", Quote attributed to a RWO member who shall remain nameless.

NSW and QLD alone wouldnt be good enough to compete. let alone the fact it would exclude players from the NT and TAS.

Commentary Team Captain BeeEmmAre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BBBBH View Post
    NSW and QLD alone wouldnt be good enough to compete. let alone the fact it would exclude players from the NT and TAS.
    Don't be so sure. It's a funny game. Just look at how NSW doesn't beat Qld every time they play at RL Origin.
    "It's up to the rest of the players in the room to make a new batch of premiership players next year," Adam Goodes, triple Bob Skilton Medallist, October 7, 2011.

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BeeEmmAre View Post
    Don't be so sure. It's a funny game. Just look at how NSW doesn't beat Qld every time they play at RL Origin.
    it is a funny game...but playing a SoO game between NSW and another state...WA who are probably the worst out of SA, VIC and WA, you would expect the sandgropers to absolutely destroy the NSW team.

imagine cousins, kerr, franklin, black, corey, glass, clement, williams, embley, nicoski, farmer, wells etc vs Roberts-Thomson, Barry, Hayes, Crawford, Solomon, Staker, Cross, Kosi, Kirk, Vandenburg, Mathews, Bevan.

i mean the NSW/ACT aint pathetic but any SoO team with Paul Bevan and Ben Mathews in by default must suck. you would expect WA to win by 100 plus points. it just wouldnt be fair and would kill the concept. thus i think it must be WA, VIC, SA and allies to have a fair game.

We'll destroy 'em. That's what the Vics thought when they come to the SCG in the early 90's.

Terrible, cold, wet night and a big bag to our now own John Longmire and poor old Teddy and the Big V were headed back to Melbourne with their tail well and truly between their legs.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

hmm, nah i think the other 3 states would have a pretty easy game in killing a NSW or QLD side.

if u have a NSW or QLD side then there should be two divs like:
    div 1 - VIC metro, VIC country, WA and SA
    div 2 - NSW/ACT, QLD, TAS, NT

the div 2 would also include VFL, AFLQ, AFLNSW and NTFL players i reckon.

that would be a bit more fair as VIC would kill SA and WA.

Living in 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    We'll destroy 'em. That's what the Vics thought when they come to the SCG in the early 90's.

Terrible, cold, wet night and a big bag to our now own John Longmire and poor old Teddy and the Big V were headed back to Melbourne with their tail well and truly between their legs.
    Think that was the Victoria 2 team, similiar to what Tasmania beat in the early 90's.

Two divisions, Tasmania V NSW NT V ACT QLD V WA and the big one at the MCG would be Vic V SA. All as one off matches.

You get Tassie playing with all the AFL talent, and they will sell out down there, same with the NT boys up in Darwin. The biggest risk there is QLD V WA, but played in WA, it might generate some interest.

The Big V playing SA at the MCG would be great though, I think it it imperative that this is the number 1 match of any S.O.O Weekend.

I will not support any S.O.O that excludes Tasmania and merges them with anyone. It is a disgrace that a true AFL state like Tassie was ever forced to do that.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast