Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: At least 1 change needed...so who?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    He was on his left, he would have had to break stride/change direction to get on to his right; every other player in the team would have done that apart from Nick, he doesn't need to. I honestly don't think there would be 10 guys in the AFL who could kick with that with their wrong foot at full tilt in that kind of situation, knowing they would nail it just about every time.
    Maybe too he did not even have to think about it. he just went with what felt right - though I am sure he had stella in mind as he kicked it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMase View Post
    I don't know why, but last night we were the best team in the final five minutes of each quarter. Outside of that we were rubbish. It was those five minutes per quarter that kept us in the game.
    Most sides tire of constant pressure and flooding. That allowed us to come back against Essendon. It's why we struggle against full-strength Adelaide (they can maintain it longer) and why we were only able to come back against the 'Roos in the last quarter.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Quote Originally Posted by Chookbilly View Post
    I love Nicky... but he certainly is a show pony...
    Did anyone else notice that his final goal that he kicked, (which was to keep us in with some sort of chance) he actually kicked with his left foot!
    He was under no pressure, running into an open goal.
    and to make matters worse he was on the harder side of the ground for a left footed kick!

I had to grin... what a showpony!
    That's about having appropriate AFL-level skills. If you are running on your left side then you should be able to kick with your left. Otherwise you need to break stride.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by NMWBloods View Post
    Most sides tire of constant pressure and flooding. That allowed us to come back against Essendon. It's why we struggle against full-strength Adelaide (they can maintain it longer) and why we were only able to come back against the 'Roos in the last quarter.
    Good point!

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    For mine....
    Guess who...McVeigh...watching him run through the centre, unapposed, and kick short of his target.......some 20 mts away...that was the last straw

The microscope is also on Bevan, he continuely bombs it in to players who are out numbered..and Matthews, he continuely chips it to players under pressure. Dempster,he needs to lift his work rate and get to more contests.

Let's give Moore or Schmit a fair dinkum chance...and lets have a look at Laidlaw, or Jesse White, in top company.
    McVeigh definitely needs to be dropped to make way for a Schmidt or Laidlaw, Bevan also needs to be given a stint in the 2s. I'm undecided about Mathews and Dempster just needs to be given time, preferably in the seniors, so that he can gain experience.
    My Pokemon brings all the boys to the yard and they're like "Wanna trade cards?"
    "Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I can beat you, I've got Charizard!"

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn View Post
    McVeigh definitely needs to be dropped to make way for a Schmidt or Laidlaw, Bevan also needs to be given a stint in the 2s. I'm undecided about Mathews and Dempster just needs to be given time, preferably in the seniors, so that he can gain experience.
    Dempster is quality.

I agree that Laidlaw and Schmidt deserve a run in favour of Bevan and McVeigh.

With Barry Hall being continually doubled team, I wonder why we persist playing him inside the forward 50 where we find our space consistently clogged up.

My thoughts for this week...

1) Bring in Grundy and play him out of the goal square. Put MOL in the forward pocker and Schneider in the other.

2) Play Hall at CHF and allow him to lead all day up field, thus negotiating the continual double teaming. If he does not kick a goal than so be it. Play ROK and Davis on the Half forward flanks and allow ROK to present forward and Davis stay as a marking target inside the forward 50.

3) With Williams and Dixon both out next week (Dixon did a groin today) we may not have as many dangerous forwards to defend on. If match ups allow, give Grundy a spot on the bench for a rest and play malceski out of the goal square and allow him space to lead into. Good hands, quick and an accurate set shot.

4) Craig Bolton to take Buddy, Richards on Boyle and allow Leaping Leo to be creative of the half back line.

There are my changes and thoughts for this week's game!
    Thoughts?

Cheers,
    Matt
    Swannies for life!

Davis probably will get dropped, if the recent performance of our selectors is anything to go by. I thought he was superb last night, creative and willing to take risks, and they usually came off. Also Dempster was good, but like someone else already pointed out, he's not being used properly. The boy has one of the best kicks in our team, yet he's almost wasted in the role that Roos has given him.

The only players that should be dropped are McSpreigh, Paul "toughness >>> skill" Bevan, and maybe one of either Mathews or B1, but it wont happen.

Veteran Site Admin
    Why would you want to put Malceski leading out the goal square? He's our best creator up field and one of those able to kick goals from outside 50.

I'd have both Davis (if he's fit enough) and O'Keefe pushing well up the ground and trying to leave the forward 50 as open as possible. If anything, I'd stick a ruckman up there with Grundy, with one other smaller player at their feet, and get Magic and Baz to create around the half forward line. Let's truly flood the midfield (where Hawks main advantage is) and leave our forwards space to work in.

One positive of this game is that I don't think Hawthorn will over-flood. Clarkson is probably still sensitive to criticism of their games against Brisbane and the Saints, and seems to want to back his team to play open football. If they get numbers back it will be to triple team Hall. All the more reason to let him run around as far as he can and leave the forward line as open as possible.

I'm glad the game is at the MCG as well. I think the extra space may help. Good as Campbell Brown has been this year, I don't think the Hawks defence will succeed one-on-one with our forwards IFF they have some space and get half decent delivery.

Croad was a late withdrawal for their game today. Anyone know what's up with him?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    With Barry Hall being continually doubled team, I wonder why we persist playing him inside the forward 50 where we find our space consistently clogged up.

My thoughts for this week...

1) Bring in Grundy and play him out of the goal square. Put MOL in the forward pocker and Schneider in the other.

2) Play Hall at CHF and allow him to lead all day up field, thus negotiating the continual double teaming. If he does not kick a goal than so be it. Play ROK and Davis on the Half forward flanks and allow ROK to present forward and Davis stay as a marking target inside the forward 50.

3) With Williams and Dixon both out next week (Dixon did a groin today) we may not have as many dangerous forwards to defend on. If match ups allow, give Grundy a spot on the bench for a rest and play malceski out of the goal square and allow him space to lead into. Good hands, quick and an accurate set shot.

4) Craig Bolton to take Buddy, Richards on Boyle and allow Leaping Leo to be creative of the half back line.

There are my changes and thoughts for this week's game!
    Thoughts?

Cheers,
    Matt
    I wish you could have a talk to Roos

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Why would you want to put Malceski leading out the goal square? He's our best creator up field and one of those able to kick goals from outside 50.
    Liz, one of our critisims of our side is that we are too predictable, one dimensonal. As I mentioned, IF defensive options permit, why not give something different a try? He is athletic, great mark and a top set shot for goal. IMO he would be hard to handle in an open forward line on the lead.

Allow Leo to play his role with Tadgh off the half back line. It is just something different, a plan b.
    Swannies for life!

Veteran Site Admin
    But we have about a dozen guys who should be able to convert if they mark leading out of the goal square. Malceski showed us last week he can take a good contested mark but its stretching things to say its a strength of his. And he would have played almost none of his football as a leading forward.

On the other hand, how many guys do we have who can deliver it long and accurately into the 50? Possibly half a dozen, with varying degrees of reliability, but he's far and away the best.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast