Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: At least 1 change needed...so who?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by DST View Post
    Thanks Liz, for us Melbourne based members who don't get the chance to see the ressies we need quality info like this.

Make sure you keep up with Old Royboy's regular match reports on the reserves (like the sticky currently at the top of the board). He provides similar info in those, and it is often added to by other reserves watchers, like BBB and Ugg.

Schmidt and a fit JC to come in for Bevan and McVeigh, though I'd prefer to see Hey Jude go. At 5-5, I wouldn't think this is the time to be debuting too many debutants.

I'm not at panic stations on Hey Jude or McV though, we just need Schmidt's giant can and industrial-strength thighs at the clearances.

We just didn't come to play last night, the boys were cruising like they were Beemers or Mercs, already in the Top 4.
    I was wrong about Gerard and his hair.

Quote Originally Posted by DST View Post
    Laidlaw would seem a good replacement for him re his pace and running capacity but from your comments and that from the coaching staff he lacks the mental toughness to hold down a run with role at this stage.
    DST, Laidlaw is not really a run with type of player.

If I had to describe him , I reckon he's very much like ROK. Similar size and build, a solid kick and he's a really really strong overhead mark.

Obviously hasn't got ROK's motor, but ROK never had ROK's motor in his second year in grade either. If he can develop that work ethic, that as Liz rightly points out appears to be the question mark over him, he'll be a real goodun'. I have high hopes for him, but unlike others, I'm not busting for him to get a run in the seniors. I'd rather see Schmidt and Moore be the ones to get a chance because it's the McVeighs and J.Boltons of the world we need to try and replace in the short to medium term.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

I would agree with most posters who look to bring in Crouch and Schmidt for Bevan and McVeigh.

As for the playing group, I think these are the main issues:
    1. Goodes in ordinary form.
    2. Hall needs to realise that he cannot use his hands in a contest any more.
    3. Simply need to move the ball faster and become less predictable

Suggestions:
    1. Until LRT returns, play Goodes at HB. Especially against the Hawks, where a defensive role on Lance Franklin seems a good matchup for the Swans, and if he plays a rover he will only get picked up by the likes of Sewell and get frustrated again.
    2. Play Bazza upfield more, as has been often suggested.
    3. Move Teddy to the Forward line the may look like: Davis MOL Schneider Richards Hall ROK
    4. Play Buchanan as an onballer or in the back pocket until he can work out his goal kicking problems.

Also hoping to see Davis play defence a bit more often, Dempster play offence a bit more often and ROK find some goals a bit more often.

The competition is pretty even and if you don't come to play, any team can beat you. The Swans are as good a team as any, except perhaps the Eagles, and it is just a matter of getting the intensity and skill up to championship level. When you see the way players like Hird and Harvey are playing, you certainly wouldn't think the Swans are too old, as many commentators have suggested. It doesn't take much for the wheels to fall off though, if you look at a few teams with high expectations at the start of the year, like the Saints and Freo, and the hopefuls like the Dogs or a real solid team like the Demons, much like the Swans in many ways.

The Swans look on the verge, but it's hard to say on the verge of what. I suppose the next 3 games will tell.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I would agree with most posters who look to bring in Crouch and Schmidt for Bevan and McVeigh.

As for the playing group, I think these are the main issues:
    1. Goodes in ordinary form.
    2. Hall needs to realise that he cannot use his hands in a contest any more.
    3. Simply need to move the ball faster and become less predictable

1 Maybe - though he was good but not great in 2005 so I don't think his form is as important as other factors

2 True - but as Roos has pointed out, it is incredibly hard for players to change overnight - or even in a few months - the way they've been taught to play for 15 years

3 Yes - but it is about playing smarter all around. Teams are going to crowd our forward 50m arc. They'd be fools not to because it is clear that at the moment the Swans can't cope with it. Moving the ball more quickly and taking more risks is part of the answer but I don't think it's the whole answer. I still reckon they need to actively use Dempster, Davis, Ablett, Malceski, C Bolton, Schneider, Kennelly (on the run) and possibly ROK too to shoot from the 50-60m range. Most of those can easily cover the distance from 50m from a set shot and all of them can do it on the run from that distance, maybe even a little further out.

Here is my take on our reserve graders at present.

As Liz said, Tim Schmidt is the only one currently available who puts his hand up and says “I’m ready”. After several years he is now the most consistent of the group, has the required endurance and performs week in week out. But nothing he does says “future superstar” – competent in most things but not brilliant at any. At present a good ordinary footballer.

There are several guys who I deem as or more talented than Schmidt, but most are not ready yet. As follows:

Medium/Tall midfielders:

With his acceleration, footy smarts, marking ability and (mainly) good disposal Laidlaw has in several games totally outclassed his opposition. Definitely a creator, but untried as a tagger. Question marks remain about his accountability, durability and concentration. The only way to find out will be to give him a go.

Thrornton has been steadily improving, but has yet to dominate in a BOG performance. Not ready

Smaller midfielders:

Because of his small size, we have yet to see Phillips play the role he normally does in reserves. Not as a goal sneak, but an on baller. The kid has talent and footy smarts, is a terrific mark for his size, disposal good, is very good around the goals and is hungry for goals. Curently unsuited for tagging roles. I suspect that until he improves his body strength he will remain a fringe player. How long did Crouch take? Same size.

Moore has been around a while now, but is just not dominating in the reserves the way one would hope. I may be wrong, but suspect he just does not have the talent to make a major impact. Hope I am wrong.
    Simpkin has all the talent – creative, elusive (sells a beautiful dummy) and when on song his disposal is good. But as we saw this week, can be horribly erratic. Not ready.

Brabazon has really improved this year, but I see his major failing as an inability to make an impact when the going is tough. Fast and looks good when running free, disposal is very good. But in most of his games he only starts to shine when the opposition is getting tired. Needs to improve his in and under work and decision making when under pressure. Not ready.

Keiren Jack is close to ready but will not be eligible until next year, unless some RWOer does a Tonya Harding on an out of favour whipping boy. Nearly all the boxes can be ticked – terrific in and under, runs all day, not afraid to take people on and normally succeeds, tackles like a terrier and disposal vastly improved on last year. Only question is his ability in one on one marking contests. I was gobsmacked that Roos gave him a one on one defensive role when he played firsts where his main weakness could be and was exploited.

One of the things which remains uncertain with most of these kids is do they have the physical endurance (given the Swans game plan) to run out a game and play a prominent part. They look good in reserves because they are playing half fit part timers. It would seem the club thinks not, because whenever any of these kids gets promoted they seem to be reduced to playing bit parts off the bench.
    Pay peanuts get monkeys

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Royboy View Post
    As Liz said, Tim Schmidt is the only one currently available who puts his hand up and says ?I?m ready?. After several years he is now the most consistent of the group, has the required endurance and performs week in week out. But nothing he does says ?future superstar? ? competent in most things but not brilliant at any. At present a good ordinary footballer.
    Maybe, maybe not. Mitchell and Harris don't look like superstars either if you analyse their attributes, yet both of them are (or are close). If you can get your hands on the ball at stoppages and consistently feed the ball off to running opponents, you can become a very very valuable member of your team.

I am not going to stick my neck out and say Schmidt can become as good as those two, but I think its possible he can come close if he is given more game time in the guts. And he surprised us all a bit earlier this year by nabbing a couple of very impressive goals at senior level - his kicking is very sound.

One of the things which remains uncertain with most of these kids is do they have the physical endurance (given the Swans game plan) to run out a game and play a prominent part. They look good in reserves because they are playing half fit part timers. It would seem the club thinks not, because whenever any of these kids gets promoted they seem to be reduced to playing bit parts off the bench.
    They do run and run hard for the whole two hours of games though, often with limited interchange in the final quarter and sometimes a man short. I know the way they often score heavily in the final term is because they run their opponents off their feet but you can't fault their work ethic in games. They always look exhausted at the end of games.

Living in 2005
    Old Royboy - just a question on Jesse White, I have been on his bandwagon since his Pre season debut, but haven't really seen him play since. Last night I went a bit early and caught the last quarter and was very unimpressed with his 2nd efforts and he just seemed to lack any motivation. I know he has had injury issues, but how would you rate him?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    Old Royboy - just a question on Jesse White, I have been on his bandwagon since his Pre season debut, but haven't really seen him play since. Last night I went a bit early and caught the last quarter and was very unimpressed with his 2nd efforts and he just seemed to lack any motivation. I know he has had injury issues, but how would you rate him?
    He looked incredibly bored to me, playing at full back and on an opponent a good 4 inches shorter than him. Gave away a free kick that led to a goal and didn't seemed perturbed by it. Then he came running in for a wild shot at goal that missed when there were better placed teammates.

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    Unfortunately, gone backwards. But in fairness has not had that much opportunity up forward where he prefers to play.
    Pay peanuts get monkeys

[QUOTE=liz;311556]I am not going to stick my neck out and say Schmidt can become as good as those two, but I think its possible he can come close if he is given more game time in the guts. And he surprised us all a bit earlier this year by nabbing a couple of very impressive goals at senior level - his kicking is very sound./QUOTE]

Point taken Liz, but nine times out of ten the really talented just show out as a cut above. Tim's improvement has been more a steady progression over a period of time. I think if he makes the grade it will be because of his willingness to work hard, rather than pure natural talent. Nothing wrong with that - we have several in that boat already who have premiership medals to their credit.
    Pay peanuts get monkeys

Quote Originally Posted by Old Royboy View Post
    With his acceleration, footy smarts, marking ability and (mainly) good disposal Laidlaw has in several games totally outclassed his opposition. Definitely a creator, but untried as a tagger. Question marks remain about his accountability, durability and concentration. The only way to find out will be to give him a go.
    If he is possibly very creative, who cares if he's not a tagger? God knows we desperately could do with a midfielder who creates.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast