Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: At least 1 change needed...so who?

Living in 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Royboy View Post
    Unfortunately, gone backwards. But in fairness has not had that much opportunity up forward where he prefers to play.
    That's a pity then, I personally believe he could be one of the great late draft picks.

The coaching staff are obviously hell bent on him developing into a backman then, I think he has played most of the year back there in the Ressies, I can see why they would want someone of his size up there.

I hope he finds a bit of motivation soon, no matter where he is required to play, or it will be a short relationship between him and professional AFL.

Quote Originally Posted by DST View Post
    I am convinced that we now play our best football on bigger grounds where we can control the stoppages, break hard and isolate our forwards in one on one contests.

For years we had a team and game style that was suited to the SCG but sadly was never going to allow us to win a final on the MCG/AAMI/Subi/Telstra Stadium or the GABBA when meeting quality opposition.

We are now totally opposite to that and as a result the SCG is not the same fortress it used to be.

DST
    I Agree...Most teams are putting on big floods against us...and it's working for them....a lot harder to do all day, on a big ground.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Veteran Site Admin
    Point taken Liz, but nine times out of ten the really talented just show out as a cut above. Tim's improvement has been more a steady progression over a period of time. I think if he makes the grade it will be because of his willingness to work hard, rather than pure natural talent. Nothing wrong with that - we have several in that boat already who have premiership medals to their credit.
    Not sure I agree with nine times out of ten.

Kirk, Buchanan, O'Keefe are three of the Swans most important players and I don't think any of them stood out as something special early on. Nor did Kennelly really - though I guess his learning curve was steeper than most.

And I think that kind of player, more than most, doesn't catch the imagination early because they're not flashy. They become valuable because of how much footy they get and the consistency with which they do good things with it. Harris has taken a while to get established.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    That's a pity then, I personally believe he could be one of the great late draft picks.

The coaching staff are obviously hell bent on him developing into a backman then, I think he has played most of the year back there in the Ressies, I can see why they would want someone of his size up there.

I hope he finds a bit of motivation soon, no matter where he is required to play, or it will be a short relationship between him and professional AFL.
    He's had his fair share of time in the forward line too. The previous SCG game he alternated with Grundy up forward, quarter by quarter.

It's probably not a fair time to draw any conclusions about him. He was out injured for a few weeks with a finger, came back two weeks ago and looked like he was struggling to mark a little. And he didn't play at all last weekend down in Canberra. So he's not had a whole heap of football recently.

I doubt he'll play this year, with both Grundy and Vogels ahead of him in the queue. But it's not until this time next year that any judgements really start needing to be made about whether he has "got it".

Point taken Liz, but nine times out of ten the really talented just show out as a cut above. Tim's improvement has been more a steady progression over a period of time. I think if he makes the grade it will be because of his willingness to work hard, rather than pure natural talent. Nothing wrong with that - we have several in that boat already who have premiership medals to their credit.
    I see Schmidt as, potentially, a better, more well-rounded version of Jobe Watson and the aforementioned Sam Mitchell. Neither player could be called mercurial but they do a hard job at the coalface, consistently and well, especially Sam "Hoover" Mitchell.

I'd really like to keep McV and drop Jude for Schmidt as I see them as similar type players, but I think it's safer to drop McV. If Schmidt were having problems, McV couldn't replace him in the stoppages.
    Last edited by voodooguru; 4th June 2007 at 03:44 AM.
    I was wrong about Gerard and his hair.

If people want 1 change I have one. It's called: A Demetriou.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456