Thread: Injury management

Injury management

Its absolutely critical that we manage our player injuries very carefully in the next few weeks coming up to the finals. Especially in light of a key player like Leo Barry carrying an injury every week.

Collingwood definately benefitted last year by locking in 4th a few weeks before the end of season, then resting key players in the nothing games before the finals.

Since we will be fighting for a highest position we can get right to the end, the only game where we could seriously rest players is the Brisbane game which we would expect to loose anyway.
    Is it worth fielding a sub-strength team for Brisbane, but have key players rested and fit for september ?

I'm SO over the swans! swan_song's Avatar
    I was at training last night (thanks guys for running out of snags and drinks --- bit of good planning/pr there) and although I got there a bit late didn't see either Bazza or Magic taking part in training...does anyone know if they were rested or had come in early before I got there...
    "Davis...Davis has kicked 2...he snaps from 40...dont tell me, dont tell me, hes kicked a goal....unbelievable stuff from Nick Davis, can you believe this, he's kicked 3 final quarter goals and Swans are within 3 points..."

On the Rookie List
    I read recently that there are a hell of a lot of players not training till late in the week for rest and precautionary purposes.

This has been the reason why we have been so successful in injury management this year.

Notice that we have not really had any bad hammys or corkies or general soreness as opposed to recent years.

Ball and Doyle are the only real long termers and their's would happen no matter how advanced our techniques.

As for resting, we are a fair chance against the Lions and a home final for us is vital. It's a tough call isn't it.

Although Brisbane at the Gabba would appear to be the hardest game on paper - it is a match which we could definitely win with some of the injuries they have up there as well as the Lions indifferent form. I wouldn't think we'd want to rest many players from games - easing off at training has working all year, why change?? We need to try and get second spot to maximise our chances of a Swans flag.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Magic and Barry did some skills work with Leo, Doyle, Warfe and I think Schauble.

Doyle told us he expected to be back on field next week.
    Here's my heart and you can break it
    I need some release, release, release
    We need
    Love and peace