Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: 1 CHF (How do we solve a problem like Barry, ah)

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    What happened to the B in the BBBBH? (That's the bustlin' part)

First he was crucified by the umpires, but now he's dropping chest marks, and it seems he's mistiming his leads as passes are falling short or his opponent is leading him to the ball.

Quite amazing we won today considering his output.
    As I mentioned in another thread, I reckon a run in the ruck, after Jolls got injured, wouldn't of done him any harm. He likes to be in the thick of the action throwing his weight around.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

On the Rookie List
    BTW shouldn't it be Baria?

more, actually lots more carrots
    cheers

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    He won't have to, Hally will drop himself.

I'm going to sound like Robert Walls here, but why not let him take some of the boundary throw-ins in the forward 50, and he is usually a good chance of snagging a goal there.
    Ugg that is a very good call. Since Jolly and Everitt started to dominate Barry hasn't been called on to do that. Perhaps he can take the throw ins and the ruckman drop back across the centre.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieAnge View Post
    BTW shouldn't it be Baria?
    haha now i'm gonna be singing that all night

on the original question, i'd rather baz playing like this at this stage of the season rather than finals time

he'll come good when it matters - well i hope so anyway
    Roosy = LEGEND

Barry is badly out of form.
    I'm not trying to make excuses for him, but I wouldn't be surprised if his knee still isn't right, after that medial problem earlier in the year.
    Add that to the fact the he's always being double and triple teamed, the delivery to him has been nothing short of ordinary, and finally the fact that he is unable to get his head around the 'hands in the back' rule.

We need to give the man a change. We need to change our focus.
    Having Hall play as he currently is, isn't helping us one little bit.

We need to push Hall further up the ground -
    A. So he can escape the double team, and
    B. So he can find more of the ball.

I'm imagining a role similar to what Chris Tarrant played for the pies, basically playing on the wing.
    In short, we need him to fire, but we need to play him into some form.

In the meantime, I'd be quite happy to play Nick Davis out of the goalsquare.

Up the mighty swannies!!!
    Don't know about Nick Davis out of the goal square... I'd rather Jolly or Everitt rotate...or bring in Grundy or someone else.

Back on to Nick Davis.... he has been bloody good in the last two weeks.

I agree, Nicky's great, but he probably lacks the height. We have to remember that its not a one man team either and Tadhg being injured today proves that. They still won...just...but they did. Four points is four points.

Quote Originally Posted by WASwansFanatic View Post
    Don't know about Nick Davis out of the goal square... I'd rather Jolly or Everitt rotate...or bring in Grundy or someone else.

Back on to Nick Davis.... he has been bloody good in the last two weeks.
    Yes - I'd rather see someone bigger in the goal square. Davis is perfect on the flank, with MOL in the pocket.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Veteran Site Admin
    His confidence is completely shot at the moment. You can see it, and he said as much in his Friday column.

But he is too good a player not to work his way through it. He possibly needs to think less and follow his instincts more - even if he gives away the odd free in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    His confidence is completely shot at the moment. You can see it, and he said as much in his Friday column.

But he is too good a player not to work his way through it. He possibly needs to think less and follow his instincts more - even if he gives away the odd free in the process.
    I've just been checking some stats. Turns out we don't have anything at all to whinge about. Barry Hall is number one for marks taken and goals this year for the bloods...and he gives away as many frees as Brett Kirk and Amon Buchanan per game. We need to get off his case.

Maybe we just want to expect more from him.

Andy Maher on Ch10 had a (surprisingly) good point - when behind, Hall is unsure how to go for the ball. He is second-guessing himself and you can see that in his attempts to position himself or mark.

Not surprising really given that he has never been a great overhead or pack mark. His forte has been his strength - pushing players under the ball. It's never been a great technique, so in some ways it's amazing he's been able to get away with it for years.

I think he probably needs to focus more on leading and getting the ball onto his chest, even if he has to go further up the ground. That may help him get back his confidence.

At training someone also needs to work with him on how to outbody an opponent without using his hands. But can you teach an old dog new tricks?
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast