Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Our game against Hawthorn now that they walloped the Blues

Our game against Hawthorn now that they walloped the Blues

I couldn't watch the whole game on Friday night as it was embarrassing for Carlton.

Being used to watching the Swans I kept waiting for an opposition player to put pressure on the Hawks. Our tight game against them seemed to really make them have to think rather than being allowed to run around fast (which they are good at) being unaccountable.

It has made me revise my opinion of Benny's agme. His tongue was hanging out and he was left behind occasionally by more gifted athletes but he stuck at it and made the Hawks think twice(which is hard for a footballer to do.)
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    I agree Satchmo - I didn't see or hear any of the game against Carlton, but the Hawks definitely didn't look comfortable with our tight game last week. I know the Swans get criticised for that negative style of play, and it's frustrating when we're not kicking enough goals, but the good thing about it (when it works) is that it's based around being accountable, which I think will be the way to beat some of these teams above us. Like your description of Benny, think I'll put that on your half-yearly report.

Blog Entries
    I thought it showed where Carlton are as a team. They have been playing very attacking footy, but when they need to be accountable, they are crap. Though they still managed to kick 80 points which is more than the swans average this year.

Up the mighty swannies!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Though they still managed to kick 80 points which is more than the swans average this year.
    I don't know what you are trying to get at with that comment.... but to even try and compare Sydney v Carlton I think is a waste of time. Wooden Spooners as opposed to Grand Finalists two years in a row, I think says it all.

Blog Entries
    It says that Carlton are playing very attacking football, but not very accountable football, as was proved on Friday night. They were not capable of shutting down the Hawks, as we did the previous week.

We play very accountable football, not very attacking football.

Edit: Our average is actually 85.6, so my initial comment was wrong, our avg points for in a loss is 71.2
    Last edited by ScottH; 18th June 2007 at 10:07 AM.

Suspended by the MRP reigning premier's Avatar
    Is that the truth?? Or did you read it in the Telegraph?
    Like we do with most other teams, we bring them back to us. It's not like we have a team of champions like west coast, stkilda and maybe even geelong. We have the ability to make every team we play, play at our level through our tagging and shutting down type of play. In that sense, i always thought we would beat Hawthorn as they simply can't compete with us in a tight game. Had the game opened up, perhaps they would have beaten us, but that didn't happen.

And besides, Carlton are @@@@.

Quote Originally Posted by reigning premier View Post
    Like we do with most other teams, we bring them back to us. It's not like we have a team of champions like west coast, stkilda and maybe even geelong.
    If bringing them "back to us" to playing tough, accountable footy then so be it. It's what wins finals and stands up in the second half of the year. Hence why Sydney, Adelaide and West Coast have dominated the last couple of years because they all essentially play the same style.

Oh and yep, Ling >> Kirk

I don't thing Geelong is packed with superstars to be honest, just a very good balanced list like Sydney's.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Who are St. Kilda's 'superstars'?

Totally agree Deadly...St Kilda are a bunch of coodabeens and most likely, neverwillhavebeens. I think they were severely overrated for a few years. Maybe Grant Thomas was a mastercoach in disguise...Shame he won't be getting another head coaching job any time soon.
    Go you mighty BLOODBOYS!

Most people recognise that StKilda had number of stars in their team.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Quote Originally Posted by bloodboy View Post
    Totally agree Deadly...St Kilda are a bunch of coodabeens and most likely, neverwillhavebeens. I think they were severely overrated for a few years. Maybe Grant Thomas was a mastercoach in disguise...Shame he won't be getting another head coaching job any time soon.
    Gee, I wouldn't mind a couple of coodabeens and neverwillhavebeens named Reiwoldt, Dal Santo, Ball, Harvey, Hayes etc etc running around in the red and white.

Quote Originally Posted by NMWBloods View Post
    Most people recognise that StKilda had number of stars in their team.
    Well those people are using the word 'star' very loosely.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast