Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Huge support for the Swans,and a,little funny info too.

Even if all those 1.7m "fans" were from Sydney (and they won't be) it still represents less than half the population.

The same debate arises every time this survey comes out and the criticism above is valid - most of these "fans" will be Sydneysiders whose allegiance is merely nominal. But from this bunch of currently nominal supporters will come the future real supporters, those who attend games, or at least watch them on TV regularly.

I would really like Roy Morgan to qualify the results by asking who has watched (live or TV) at least one game of of Aussie Rules at any level (including Auskick) in the last 12 months.

Quote Originally Posted by j s View Post
    Latte sippers!!

42% bought coffee from glorious jeans ... more like god botherers!!
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by j s View Post
    Even if all those 1.7m "fans" were from Sydney (and they won't be) it still represents less than half the population.

The same debate arises every time this survey comes out and the criticism above is valid - most of these "fans" will be Sydneysiders whose allegiance is merely nominal. But from this bunch of currently nominal supporters will come the future real supporters, those who attend games, or at least watch them on TV regularly.
    I would really like Roy Morgan to qualify the results by asking who has watched (live or TV) at least one game of of Aussie Rules at any level (including Auskick) in the last 12 months.
    Thats exactly what happened with me. After the 96 season, I called myself a fan, but had never watched a game, just read about the results in the paper. Then I got to watching a few games on the telly, a friend explained the rules, took me to my first live game and POW i was hooked. Joined up that week and haven't missed a home game since.
    We all have to start somewhere and remember, it's only the latest generation of fans here that have been raised with the game, I was brought up calling it aerial ping pong, and friends of my teenage kids (alot of which we have converted) called it GayFL until they actually see a game live.

So true guys, there is such a massive untapped resource in the Sydney market that we just have to get in to. I can understand when Colless says that we will never be as big as West Coast or Adelaide because neither of those states has a rival code based within it. I think it will take ages before we get the mentality out of most League fans that Aussie Rules is a poofters game because it is built in to their psyche from an early age. I know this, because it is true down in Victoria as well...we are taught to hate every game but Aussie Rules. I have only recently come to appreciate soccer, union and to a much lesser extent, league. So this is the battle we face...how do we win the battle? If I knew that, I would be a very rich CEO!
    Go you mighty BLOODBOYS!

They win it by getting it played more in schools. Get the players out there, in the kids faces, even the "GayFL callers" will be impressed and interested if they see BIG names at their school. AFL representation is virtually non existant in the schools in my area (public school system) and I have kids in 2 different schools.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12